The rebirth of THE ICE CREAM TRUCK

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

decodancer

Reaction score
IMG_0258.JPGIMG_0259.JPGIMG_0261.JPGIMG_0260.JPGIt's been super busy here at the campground but I'm finally making a dent in my van remodel. It took over a year but my van no longer reads ICE CREAM TRUCK! It has also lost it's stars and circles, push up pictures, and the black duct tape somebody used to cover the lettering. I added the decal stripes to the passengers side and couldn't get them smooth. Taped around them, peeled the decals off and painted the stripes on. I plan on redoing the drivers side the same way. I ran out of paint and am waiting for more to arrive but I have got one coat on most of the fiberglass topper now.
Two issues I'm hoping you guys might be able to help me with. First is the passengers side mirror. The bottom mirror moves all over the place, sometimes even turning to face forward. I must be looking in the wrong place but can't find anything like the mirror setup I have now online. I can remove the mirror but where do I find a replacement?
Second issue is the cutout in my rear doors. Maybe there was a lock or something that used to be there? I just need a way to close it up to prevent critters from entering. Any ideas? I've got tomorrow off work but it's supposed to rain all day. I've gotten a bit done inside the van too and will post pics soon.

Attachments

• IMG_0258.JPG
    IMG_0258.JPG
    1.3 MB
  • IMG_0259.JPG
    IMG_0259.JPG
    1.3 MB
  • IMG_0261.JPG
    IMG_0261.JPG
    1.2 MB
  • IMG_0260.JPG
    IMG_0260.JPG
    1.3 MB
WOW...the van looks like a completely different vehicle!! Nice job!!!

Yeah, putting big vinyl graphics on a rig with alot of different body seams and angles, can be a bit tricky, and even us pros get bubbles in 'em. But your re-paint looks great!!! Well done!

OK...first, the mirrors can be bought at Mills Supply...
http://store.stepvanparts.com/STUD-MOUNT-SPOT-MIRRORS-STEPVAN.HTM

or, on e-Buy... http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Truck-RV-...aultDomain_0&hash=item565dc7833f#ht_621wt_662

Can you post a better pic of this lock cut-out?? I can't say I've ever seen one like this. (musta been custom done by previous owner.)

For the door cutouts, easiest method would be to pop rivet some sheet steel over the holes, paint to match the vehicle.
For the mirror, it looks like a basic truck style mirror head. Both J. C. Whitney and Amazon carry separate mirror heads that should work, no need to buy the complete frame unit. Or is the fault in the bracket itself?

Here are a few close-ups of the hole I need to cover. I also included a passengers side view of the van from the rear. I bought the word DECODANCER in vinyl and planned on putting in on the fiberglass just above the rear doors. I've been thinking twice though. Do you think there might be safety concerns i.e. someone knowing that I travel alone from seeing my handle here? I guess they'd also know that I have three dogs who would make a valid attempt at protecting me. Opinions on that would be helpful. Also do you have any ideas on striping or something to make the top look cohesive? IMG_0265.JPGIMG_0263.JPGIMG_0262.JPGIMG_0264.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0264.JPG
    IMG_0264.JPG
    965.7 KB
  • IMG_0262.JPG
    IMG_0262.JPG
    1.1 MB
  • IMG_0263.JPG
    IMG_0263.JPG
    1.5 MB
  • IMG_0265.JPG
    IMG_0265.JPG
    1.6 MB
Don't over think problems that are not likely to happen. your name on the side will not make you any less safe than you are without it.

decodancer said:
I bought the word DECODANCER in vinyl and planned on putting in on the fiberglass just above the rear doors. I've been thinking twice though. Opinions on that would be helpful.

Yeah...I have a problem with that....

You DIDN'T come to ME for 'em!!! :( I wouldda done a killer job for ya too, just because I 'thought' you were a friend!!! (Hmmmm....maybe I was wrong!!??)

decodancer said:
do you have any ideas on striping or something to make the top look cohesive?

seeing that you're painting these graphics on yourself, and now that you're obgviously getting the hang of it, then I'd just take the lighter color graphic, narrow it down a bit (but keeping most of the length), and go with that.
You're getting pretty good at this stuff!

btw...how'd the old vinyl come off?? did my info help at all?? (I'm sure it was still a pain though!!) :p

decodancer said:
I've been thinking twice though. Do you think there might be safety concerns i.e. someone knowing that I travel alone from seeing my handle here?

I don't think having your name is gonna attract as much attention as the map on the back will.

oh, and for your little lock hatch...

I'd go to an auto garage or small welding shop and have them weld-in 2 small flange pieces in the doors. Should cost under $50, (bat your eyes and play the 'damsel' card! :p), and this will be a good permanent fix. Paint to match.

It's too bad you're not out here, as I could easily whip this all out for you in no time!!

Oh Sir Patrick, I am your friend! I ordered the Decodancer at the same time as the Poodle decals. I wanted specific decals to match my dogs haircuts and only one guy on Ebay had both of them in the sizes and colors I wanted. Your expertise was a huge help in removing the decals. I peeled the lettering off mostly in little pieces (and lost a fingernail or two) and used the adhesive remover to get the residue off. The circles I (well actually a visiting friend) sanded off, nothing else worked and I was just plain over it. I primed everything before painting and hopefully didn't do any damage. They were only around the lower part and it seems sturdier there. Great idea on the flare for the roof. I'll put that on as soon as I get another coat or two of paint on. I had a hot pink 1967 Beetle that I did all the body work on 25 or so years ago and I'm pretty good with a paintbrush so this stuff doesn't scare me, it's just hard to find the time. I found a pint of paint suitable for plastic and my next job is painting the window trim where overspray and just plain laziness with my taping made them look really sloppy. It's not a professional job but nobody is going to guess that an old lady did it with spray cans so I'm happy.

decodancer said:
my next job is painting the window trim where overspray and just plain laziness with my taping made them look really sloppy.

nobody is going to guess that an old lady did it with spray cans so I'm happy.

first...try alittle lacquer thinner on a rag for removing overspray from your windows...just don't get it on your new paintjob!!

...and what's this OLD business????? I don't wanna hear that!!

I'm older then you, (but not much)...and I'm still trying to grow up!!! :s

:D :cool: :p

Well she has spent a lot of effort on decoration elsewhere on the bus--so she could screw a decorative item covering the hole--on the door which closes last.

PastTense, You've really got me figured out LOL. I actually like the idea of a lock there, maybe I could fashion something to look like an old timey padlock with a painted skeleton key hanging nearby. I have a hundred things to get done before I leave and spend way too much time on things that make the van look nice. I'll chalk it up to being a woman.

HA!!!...that sounds like a pretty creative solution!! ^^^

(Now would be the perfect time to change out those back door hinges, to one's from an old pirate's chest. Throw a bit of woodgrained paint on there, and you're in 'em!!! ) :D

decodancer, You sure are one talented lady. Nice job on your ice cream truck.

Thank you for the kind words Janncoo. I painted the grill and the window trim today and am pleased with the result. I also got a brand new porti-potti and redid an area to accommodate it. I'll post pics tomorrow.

Wow. Nice work on the van! Was this done with Rustoleum and a roller?

Spray cans of Krylon, indoor outdoor. Lots of blue tape