HELP... In an older RV and Nothing seems to Work

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spacedredd

Reaction score
Its been awhile since I have posted or even been back to this Forum.  I am one of those types that likes to suffer in silence or I don't like to air my dirty laundry. A month ago I finally got my RV.  Its a 1994 29' Rockwood. I trusted the seller more then I should have.   There is a litany of issues, some small and annoying some big that challenges me to boondock.

MAJOR:
The Onan generator will not start.  The one time I got it start it sounded like it was trying to die a noisy death. When I put a load on it,  it sputtered and then died.
The Truck A/C needs to be replaced.
Black tank leaks and I need to replace a valve

MINOR:
Both drivers side and passenger side mirrors have fallen off.  I recovered the drives side mirror but the passenger side is duct taped (had to channel my inner redneck)
Drivers side window will not shut. (I hate electric windows).
Brakes need to be bleed.

The big one and the most embarrassing:  I am out of $$$ I had to sell my 2005 Jeep Wrangler, I had to hock not 1 but 6 of my guns... I am staying at a military Family Camp ($18) a day.  I do have a job working for an eval empire ( I shall not name), but I run out of paycheck before I can do anything strategic.  So the bank acct is in the neg and far far away from the pos... :D  Piss poor planning produces piss poor results...  You will see my face next to that definition...

Oh yeah, I'm in Central Texas North of San Antonio and South of Austin...  I got to have A/C while down here for the next several weeks.   The storms from the hurricane did cool things down for a bit.

If this sounds like whinny...  Not my intent...  I know there are people in way worse situations, look at the TX/LA gulf coast...

What i am wanting is some idea's, suggestions, insights, or opportunities that this community can offer.  I want to make out to the RTR this winter.  Go Qaurtsite and look at the job prospects for next summer.

Anyway thank you for taking the time to read this post...

Peace and Light to All...

If you are a Veteran, I can help you apply for VA benefits, if you are not already. Check my signature too.

Problems with generators are about 90% fuel related.

There are a lot of things to check, but the very most basic is make sure the high altitude setting is set for your elevation.

If this makes no difference, you probably just have bad fuel in the carb or plugged jets. It could be a fuel pump, or a leak in the line that lets in air. It could be a fouled plug, or bad sparkplug boot or dirty air filter..so many things to check...

Bleeding the brakes is easy if you have a helper. Or you can buy a small hand operated vacuum tool to do it yourself.

How 'handy' are you with this stuff?

first things first,

the brakes need bleeding needs to go to the top of the list of major things. STOPPING IS MORE IMPORTANT THEAN GOING.
fix those mirrors.
the genny is probably a fuel issue like Texas said. easy to fix.
pretty soon you won't need AC you will be more worried about heat. put that on the back burner.
replacing the valve on the black tank is cheap and easy.
an electric window motor is fairly cheap and easy to fix.
I hate losing guns but if you are going to perhaps you could sell them. make a little money instead of losing them for the price of a pawn ticket.
my 2 cents. highdesertranger

Spacedredd said:
MAJOR:
The Onan generator will not start.  The one time I got it start it sounded like it was trying to die a noisy death. When I put a load on it,  it sputtered and then died.
Hi.  I can relate to needing help and having to ask.  I'm told that is actually a strength not a weakness, and I'm working on that concept.  I am new to this also.  I can share that I purchased an older RV (2004 Pleasure-Way Van).  The Onan 2800 generator on my rig did the same thing as you described.  Someone even tried to fix it by messing the altitude setting and probably made the situation worse.  I brought it in to a Cummins shop who deal with engines and generators only and have many locations across the US.  According to the certified tech, the carb was bad because the van had been sitting a long time and these generators Must be maintained monthly, they cannot sit and then operate correctly.  He could replace the carb or I could get a new one.  Right then it was in my budget so I did get a new one because replacing the carb was about $900 and getting a new generator was about $2800.  Sticker shock, it hurts, I know.  The alternative if I had had the time to wait (being in one place) would be to find someone like a mobile mechanic or someone with the knowledge to remove the carb and try to refurbish it.  That may be something for you to try.  The other thing about the generator, a certified tech should be the one making a proper adjustment for altitude, otherwise the thing can run lean or be off to the extent that the generator will try to start but can't or will start until you turn on an a/c and then kill, stuff like that.  There's a lot on your plate, I wish you peaceful progress.  Love Austin, if I were there I'd get a taco at Torchy's.  That would seriously pep me up.  Lol, best to you!

Spacedredd said:
Its been awhile since I have posted or even been back to this Forum.  I am one of those types that likes to suffer in silence or I don't like to air my dirty laundry. A month ago I finally got my RV.  Its a 1994 29' Rockwood. I trusted the seller more then I should have.   There is a litany of issues, some small and annoying some big that challenges me to boondock.

MAJOR:
The Truck A/C needs to be replaced.
Black tank leaks and I need to replace a valve

Is this a diesel or gas generator? You might have a weak battery that is used to start the generator.  If the rig has been idle for a while, then the fuel has probably deteriorated and/or has some trash in the fuel line.  You might need to empty the existing fuel and clear the line, but also check the charge of the battery.  Is the generator actually charging the batteries?  It could be that your charger is damaged and is not charging the house batteries which in turn is preventing the generator from continuing to run as more load is placed on your electrical system.

mpruet said:
It could be that your charger is damaged and is not charging the house batteries which in turn is preventing the generator from continuing to run as more load is placed on your electrical system.

Maybe. I'd disconnect the loads for sure. It is probably best to do all that fuel cleaning first though.

mpruet said:
Is this a diesel or gas generator?  You might have a weak battery that is used to start the generator.  If the rig has been idle for a while, then the fuel has probably deteriorated and/or has some trash in the fuel line.  You might need to empty the existing fuel and clear the line, but also check the charge of the battery.  Is the generator actually charging the batteries?  It could be that your charger is damaged and is not charging the house batteries which in turn is preventing the generator from continuing to run as more load is placed on your electrical system.

Its a gas Onan genny...  I changed out the batteries and ensured I had a full tank of gas...  The last owner just let it sit...  Unfortunately I really don't do engine repair...

duckwonder said:
Hi.  I can relate to needing help and having to ask.  I'm told that is actually a strength not a weakness, and I'm working on that concept.  I am new to this also.  I can share that I purchased an older RV (2004 Pleasure-Way Van).  The Onan 2800 generator on my rig did the same thing as you described.  Someone even tried to fix it by messing the altitude setting and probably made the situation worse.  I brought it in to a Cummins shop who deal with engines and generators only and have many locations across the US.  According to the certified tech, the carb was bad because the van had been sitting a long time and these generators Must be maintained monthly, they cannot sit and then operate correctly.  He could replace the carb or I could get a new one.  Right then it was in my budget so I did get a new one because replacing the carb was about $900 and getting a new generator was about $2800.  Sticker shock, it hurts, I know.  The alternative if I had had the time to wait (being in one place) would be to find someone like a mobile mechanic or someone with the knowledge to remove the carb and try to refurbish it.  That may be something for you to try.  The other thing about the generator, a certified tech should be the one making a proper adjustment for altitude, otherwise the thing can run lean or be off to the extent that the generator will try to start but can't or will start until you turn on an a/c and then kill, stuff like that.  There's a lot on your plate, I wish you peaceful progress.  Love Austin, if I were there I'd get a taco at Torchy's.  That would seriously pep me up.  Lol, best to you!

duckwonder,

I am thinking a new genny, but I will take into a service dept and find what really is wrong with it.  Its has over 1770 hrs..  So it may need an an overhaul or replacement. No the bottle neck is the $$$.  I am looking for other sources of income...

Austin area is cool, I like Torchy's.  This isn't really my town...  That's why I'm full timing in an RV...  I haven't found a place to really belong yet... Not looking that hard either..

1700 hours is nominal use of the generator unless it's rolled over once or twice like a vehicle odometer! In all likelihood it hasn't been run for some time and has been left with gas in the carburetor which has evaporated into a sticky gooey mess. 

The Onan generators were meant to be run long and hard and are good for thousands of hours if they are properly cared for. They need to be 'maintained' by being run for at least an hour a month on 1/2 load. Before you start thinking of big dollars, find a mobile RV tech (cheaper than a dealership) that comes with recommendations or a small engine repair shop that can change out the spark plug and clean the carb up.

Likely a gummed up carb.
But other more serious items aren't off the table with being it sat unused.

stuff like this is were it really pays to know how to fix stuff. I feel that everyone who lives this way should learn basic repairs. get a book learn on the internet or from whatever, cleaning a small engine carb is easy. if you are careful when you take it apart you don't need to buy parts. just a can of carb cleaner and a few tools. highdesertranger

IF it's the carb .
The reason they say run it under load every month is to keep the more important parts like the commutator from absorbing moisture , running it heats up those expensive innards and drives out that nasty moisture which can eat them from the inside .....

A carb cleaning is a good (fairly) inexpensive first step though.

highdesertranger said:
stuff like this is were it really pays to know how to fix stuff.  I feel that everyone who lives this way should learn basic repairs.  get a book learn on the internet or from whatever,  cleaning a small engine carb is easy.  if you are careful when you take it apart you don't need to buy parts.  just a can of carb cleaner and a few tools.  highdesertranger

HDR,

I understand, however... This is not helping in the moment... Yes cleaning a carb is easy, get a book or youtube gotcha... Great advice...

Almost There said:
1700 hours is nominal use of the generator unless it's rolled over once or twice like a vehicle odometer!  In all likelihood it hasn't been run for some time and has been left with gas in the carburetor which has evaporated into a sticky gooey mess. 

The Onan generators were meant to be run long and hard and are good for thousands of hours if they are properly cared for. They need to be 'maintained' by being run for at least an hour a month on 1/2 load. Before you start thinking of big dollars, find a mobile RV tech (cheaper than a dealership) that comes with recommendations or a small engine repair shop that can change out the spark plug and clean the carb up.

I just found about the mobile maintenance, I found a guy who does the RV stuff not engine.  I will be looking a mobile maintenance that can help w/the genny.  I havce to wait till Thurs when I have that stuff called $$$$. Thank you for the idea...

Look for someone who repairs lawnmowers.  That Onan is an oversized lawnmower engine.

Do what HDR said, brakes and mirror first.

How old are the tires (date code), usually they are shot (dry rot) if past 8 years.
Gennie is likely dried out, gummed up fuel. Look on YouTube for a zillion generator repair vids.

Don't buy a new genset. Some people would say 1700 hrs is a lot but on an Onan they can go double that.

Some pull the built in genset out and run a Champion or other replacement model, they just wont have remote start from within the rv, won't feed off the rv gas tank (1/4 tank is usually the fuel cutoff) and for the roof ac to work you'll want a "soft start" kit, or you have to go big on the gen set. Google it.

Military bases often have a repair shop that you can use (no not the real military unit shop, a facility for the families run by the self-help rec center department). If you can get on base you may find some retired NCO mechanic who'll help you out.

Hope that helps some.

[quote pid='327543' dateline='1504456190']

MAJOR:

[/quote]

Another thing to check is the oil level in the genset as well as the low oil shut off switch.

It's tough to buy an old RV and to expect everything to be in good shape. It happens but very seldom.
Honestly, if you can't repair things yourself, it will cost you A LOT of money. Your only choice is to either learn to fix it yourself or to find a friend who will help you. Generator repair is not a rocket science. Most hings can be fixed with simple tools. There are tons of "How To, DIY" videos on Youtube.

Also, like mentioned above, any small engine mechanic should be able to fix the carburator related issue on your generator. Most problems are fuel related. Old fuel lines and alloys used on fuel delivery systems and carburators were not designed for ethanol fuels sold everywhere these days. If the generator was not maintained, it will most likely require serious fuel system cleaning. Some fuel related issues may be resolved by running a can of Seafoam (sold at Walmart) through it, if the engine runs poorly. 

I would suggest to make a list of priorities. Can you get by without the generator until the warmer season? A $89, 700W generator from Harbor Freight may get you by until then. I would definitely fix the brakes and mirrors. Most likely you simply need to bleed the brakes which can be easily accomplished with a helper (unless you have special tools).

"Drivers side window will not shut. (I hate electric windows)." I agreee. My 5 speed manual Kia Rio does not have electric windows and the one I had before that also did not have them. In my opinion it just gives something more to break and I like my stick because if I have to replace the clutch it will be a lot cheaper than paying for a transmission. I do not have an RV but we just got a van it does have electric windows seats, locks, all kinds of bells and whistles but not set up to live in. That will come slowly.

Oh I clicked quote and nothing happened so I left clicked the one sentence I wanted and copied and pasted it and put quotation marks on it.