The Mad Dash - Ontario to FL via I75

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GCAdventurer

Reaction score
Ok, so planning on heading south to Florida in October. Only one issue, I have only 10 days off work so I will be making the mad dash down I75. To further complicate the trip, there will be passengers, LOTS of them, DW and 3 kids + 1 more! I plan to cross at Detroit around 9 or 10 pm (keeping my doors locked) and would need to pull over here and there for a bit of shut eye. I'm the solo driver once I cross into the USA (the +1 is tagging along to that point). I plan to get my sleep in from home to the crossing (4-5hrs away from home) and then I'm 'Hans Soloing' it the rest of the way. I've done this trip before but am looking for any assistance as to 'safe' rest stops ON the highway (no deviations) to let the kiddies stretch their legs and for my headache to go away!
I know there are a lot of solo and couple travellers here,  (most I assume without young children?) but I hope to get some good advise...
I think the last time it took 34 hrs start to finish (29 in USA)

Please no suggestions about driving fatigued or sleep deprived, I am well aware and always pull over if too tired. I have done this trip a couple times as well as other very long drives...

You had better check the status of I-75 in Detroit before you depart; this week they are starting on a 14 year, 1 billion dollar refurbishment. It's going to be a mess for a long time to come.

I used to do the mad dash to Florida via I 75 and just used the welcome centers at the state lines for rest stops.

I think my most memorable mad dash was in a Fiero, slept in the passenger seat while the teenager goofed off in the welcome center. Best time - 29 hours Hamilton to St. Petersburg, solo driver!!

After that I learned that I preferred to do crossings at Port Huron/Sarnia, out 69 and south through Indiana, flip to 65 at Indianapolis, then flip to 24 at Nashville and pick up 75 at Chattanooga. I will still only do a through drive through Atlanta on a Sunday evening after 8 PM otherwise it's the bypass for me. I'll do the extra 40 miles. Course I also try to completely avoid the GTA at all times.

Check the mileage from home and see how it fares as compared to Detroit crossing and south on 75. It might be worth your while. It's a much better drive.

speedhighway46 said:
You had better check the status of I-75 in Detroit before you depart; this week they are starting on a 14 year, 1 billion dollar refurbishment. It's going to be a mess for a long time to come.

I remember last time driving I75 in Michigan and was soon happy to cross into Ohio, it was like a totally different highway. Thanks for the heads up!

Almost There said:
I used to do the mad dash to Florida via I 75 and just used the welcome centers at the state lines for rest stops.

I think my most memorable mad dash was in a Fiero, slept in the passenger seat while the teenager goofed off in the welcome center. Best time - 29 hours Hamilton to St. Petersburg, solo driver!!

After that I learned that I preferred to do crossings at Port Huron/Sarnia, out 69 and south through Indiana, flip to 65 at Indianapolis, then flip to 24 at Nashville and pick up 75 at Chattanooga. I will still only do a through drive through Atlanta on a Sunday evening after 8 PM otherwise it's the bypass for me. I'll do the extra 40 miles. Course I also try to completely avoid the GTA at all times.

Check the mileage from home and see how it fares as compared to Detroit crossing and south on 75. It might be worth your while. It's a much better drive.

I just checked the almighty Google Maps and its fairly similar in time so I will keep that in mind. As for the construction that speed was talking about, I won't be anywhere near that mess!

GCAdventurer said:
I just checked the almighty Google Maps and its fairly similar in time so I will keep that in mind. As for the construction that speed was talking about, I won't be anywhere near that mess!

If you do decide to take the route I suggested, make sure that you take the Briley Parkway around Nashville instead of going straight through...it's always a mess in the downtown area and can be so easily avoided on the Briley. BTW take the east side!!

I think u are asking about safe rest stops on way to Florida driving straight through with kids, I have done that mi to Florida with kids straight through, if not forgive me waking up.

During the day all busy rest stops are safe to me, at night the travel center, truck stops are safer to me, lots of families all times.

I don't get off the highwY unless I can see the travel center at night, no routing us ten miles!
Florida rest stops have security, yAy! Totally safe.

I had a little trouble finding places I felt safe in Georgia maybe others know, truck stops were different, didn't seem to be many pilots ect. Most people out there are super helpful!

^^^ on the Briley Parkway and BTW FYI it goes right by Opry Land and across the street from OL , a Camping World with a couple of RV parks and an RV dealer/repair
place that also fills propane all within a stones throw of each other.
(The east side was my home base Elm Hill and Donaldson/airport area ...)

I used to do the mad dash thing every day in the music biz and boy did THAT get old.
I had to drive by so many great things that I wish I had seen and now I am a firm believer in the trip is half of the journey.
You never know if you'll ever get a chance to pass that way again....................