The hardest day

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimindenver

Reaction score
We had to have the second of the three schnauzers put down today. He has had a rough time of it recently and started heading down the final road this weekend. One look this morning and I knew it wasn't yet another vet visit for more pills and tests,  it was time to show him what a good boy he was and the compassion needed to relieve his pain.

I don't know how you do it on the road. We have had so many emergency visits over the years that were not going to wait. This dog alone should have been dead 13 years ago had we not been in town and he was seconds from death when I got him on the vets table.

Even trying to get a appointment to put him down was hard. The regular vet said 4 pm, way too long, he was suffering. Luckily a new vet opened up close and let us come in no waiting.

So we are down to one last schnauzer. Mr Floppy ears gave us 14 wonderful years of unending love and affection. He leaves a hole in our hearts next to the one left by his sister a few years ago. He is with her waiting for us and his other sister on the rainbow bridge.

Goodbye my Floppy dog. Thank you for being such a good boy. Daddy loves you and misses you.

My soul aches for you. There is nothing worse.

I am so saddened to hear of your loss. You did the right thing to end his suffering as soon as you could. They trust us to make those decisions for them, but it is oh so hard. You have my Christian sympathy.

Your post made tears sting my eyes. My heart just breaks for you and the loss of your dog. Your Floppy was so lucky to have you for a daddy---so lucky. Your love for him just oozes through and there is no better way in this world for a dog to go then to be loved and adored-- which he was. I know you will have comfort in that. I can't imagine the worry and stress you had to endure to find a vet during such a crisis. I'm so glad you were able to. Please post a picture of Floppy when/if you feel up to it.

A fellow dog lover,
Gigi

I understand

The Rainbow Bridge
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies
that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm
and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health
and vigour; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again,
just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and
looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers.
Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs
carrying him faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your
special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again.

The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head,
and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your
life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together

sorry for your loss it brought back memories of when I put my Rosie down. I can still see her looking up at me when the vet injected her, brings tears to my eyes every time I think of it.

You gave your beloved boy the greatest gift you could have. he is free, now

Attachments

• rainbow bridge greeting.jpg
    rainbow bridge greeting.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 11
On January 4th I lost my best friend, Angel crossed the rainbow bridge. It is still to soon for me to speak or post about but just wanted you to know you are not alone.gramakittycat

Your story breaks my heart also. I stand beside you, in your pain, with my own bittersweet memories.

Big hugs to you. Losing a treasured friend/companion is never easy. I wish you peace of heart and hope that as time goes on you will be able to reflect on many happy memories that help to ease your grief.

GG

Thank you all, I appreciate the compassion. For those that have felt the pain, I feel for your loss too.

I am worried about the last schnauzer. She has been close enough a few times and I even considered it again yesterday. They have been together since they were weaned, the boy was a week younger and the girls litter mates. People thought we were nuts for getting three at once but there is nothing like having your own schnauzer herd. As hard as the last few years have been, through all of the vet visits, money, lost work, ruined carpets, yards and even not being able to take a real vacation for years because one of them was always too sick, I can't look back on having them and not have this overwhelming feeling of joy, love , purpose. I never saw any of it as a sacrifice at the time or looking back. It was just what needed to be done and a pittance to pay for what money simply can't buy.

It is that joy that helps along with being prepared by going thru the battle with him. We lost the last one so fast that simply taking the remaining two for a walk and having it hot me all of a sudden that I would never again walk my three headed demon dog and I just lost it. This morning I knew he wouldn't meet me at the gate wiggling with excitement. I knew I was making one breakfast and was fine seeing the empty bowl. It was when I opened the gate to go to the office and Shorty went running in that I realized I'd never hear the Schnauzer Thunder again. They never went anywhere alone and were never quiet about it.

Flops was energy and excitement bottled. He did everything full speed ahead to the end. H e didn't walk, he ran. He didn't sit, he was either on his feet moving or sleeping. While the girls were snugglers, he was my boy. Lets play ball, wrestle, tug of war, etc. That's not to say he wouldn't wash your face if you let him. I just can't think of that and not smile even now.

The last one Shorty. She went to the vet just from the stress of me going home for a week. After the first one died they searched and searched for weeks, and then did it again when we used the camper the first time after. Seeing them go out the door and turn waiting for her to come out was heart wrenching. They were not to thrilled to go for a ride with daddy for a while either.

A friend said it was because they didn't know what happened and I should have let them see the body. So we took Shorty yesterday but she knew before we left that when he laid down that last time that he wasn't getting up. She didn't want to go with us, didn't want to go in the vets and didn't want to see his body afterwards. On the way home she sat in my lap with her head on my chest, she has been a depressed lump since. I hope it's not too much, else wise I will regret not doing it yesterday. We put the last two down at the same time after 15 years. It was easier on them and us.

I know this is too long, I apologize. The last thing is the only good thing about not going to our vet was NOT hearing how if we would just let them run some test, admit the dog and get a IV in, maybe a MRI... It is what I heard as they put flops sister down that maybe we could have years more with her, they could regrow her liver from just a few cells. All I could think was of my poor baby sick, alone and frightened, wondering what she ever did that daddy would abandon her to die alone. The last two, one had skin cancer and the other was blind, deaf and could barely walk, same guilt trip. The damn decision is hard enough, why make it harder.

jimindenver said:
We had to have the second of the three schnauzers put down today. He has had a rough time of it recently and started heading down the final road this weekend. One look this morning and I knew it wasn't yet another vet visit for more pills and tests,  it was time to show him what a good boy he was and the compassion needed to relieve his pain.

I don't know how you do it on the road. We have had so many emergency visits over the years that were not going to wait. This dog alone should have been dead 13 years ago had we not been in town and he was seconds from death when I got him on the vets table.

Even trying to get a appointment to put him down was hard. The regular vet said 4 pm, way too long, he was suffering. Luckily a new vet opened up close and let us come in no waiting.

So we are down to one last schnauzer. Mr Floppy ears gave us 14 wonderful years of unending love and affection. He leaves a hole in our hearts next to the one left by his sister a few years ago. He is with her waiting for us and his other sister on the rainbow bridge.

Goodbye my Floppy dog. Thank you for being such a good boy. Daddy loves you and misses you.

I feel your heart ache. My 15 year old schnauzer passed away in November 2014.  I still have my mutt, Watson, who is now 14 years old. Thank you for sharing.

roaddog

I'm so sorry, Jim. Having to put down the pets when it's time is the worst part of pet ownership. But you did the right thing.

Jim, as much as it hurts to hear what you are going through, I want you to let it out. We will listen and understand.

Jim, no such thing as a too long post. It helps to ease the pain. Take care.

Attachments

• rainbow bridge.jpg
    rainbow bridge.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 3
  • dog heaven.jpg
    dog heaven.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts