The end of dispersed camping?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I havent seen or heard anything about stopping controlled burns, actually, now called prescribed burns, since once in a while they arent controlled. They were common in Az around Flag in the 80s and common in the N Rockies in my current environs.

jacqueg said:
Which get us back to budgets. It costs money to do a controlled burn properly. 
As I said in post #13, the gobmint should allocate some special funds for clearing the land, at least within several miles of the towns. DC spends $3.6-Trillion a year, you'd think someone back there would notice the west is burning up every year and allocate some special funds, $5-B or so to reduce ground clutter. 

Actually the link crofter posted shows people have mixed feelings about prescribed burns. Personally I don't think they are all that effective unless widespread enough, and they also take out 1/2 the trees. Obviously what they've been doing so far is abysmally inadequate. In my area, there have been only 2 prescribed burns, and these were very localized, and one of them blew up in the wind, and burned up a nearby neighborhood and a few dozen houses. Poo.

I live near the boundary waters canoe area in Minnesota. This year has been brutal in regards to people leaving messes in the back country. Hopefully things will settle down next year. Closing Canada really changed the plans of many fishermen also. Our lakes also got hit in northern Minnesota.

The little control burns they do now are not enough. Looks like the good Lord had to take things in His own hands. Most fires are set by arsonists. It’s not about climate or anything but not so good intent. I’m retiring from our fire service this fall in our little township. We’re pretty lucky here, but more and more I see people letting trees grow right up by their houses and cabins and lake homes. Access to get fire equipment in is limited. We’ve had some perfect storms here also, but no one learns. As far as a comment I saw as homeowners having a responsibility or opportunity to clean up underbrush and things in their own properties has microscopic impact. Well, multiply that by all landowners it has a huge impact. Would make a world of difference!