The Cop's Name

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Optimistic Paranoid

Reaction score
When you are pulled over by a cop - or interact with them in any way - how many of you look at his/her uniform for a name tag?

So that instead of saying "What seems to be the problem, officer?" You can say "Is there a problem, officer Kowalski?"

On the one hand, this might be a positive thing. It tells him that you see him as an individual human being, not just as a faceless guy in a uniform.

On the other hand, it could be taken as a subtle warning. "I know who you are. If you don't behave professionally and politely, it will be easy to report you."

I confess, I only get pulled over once a decade or so, and I never think to do it.

What do the rest of you think? Anyone here with any positive reports from actually doing this?

I suspect we have one or two cops or ex-cops here, and I'd love to hear their take on this.

Regards
John

I just call them all officer. My eyesight is bad and I don't want to leans towards them trying to read the small name plate.

Developing a repoire with law enforcement is a beautiful thing. Calling an officer by name (ie. officer Logan.) is much better than "some dumb cop". They expect to be hated...it's a nice change. Be well, fellow dweller...

I'll just stick to Yes Sir or Yes Mam. Being pulled over is too stressful to think of niceties.

I like the concept of calling them "Officer Smith" or whatever.

It shows them respect, which will earn their respect in return, (which will only help make the interaction that much easier and smoother),
...but at the same time shows them that they are just people too. and we all know folks sometimes make mistakes, and (hopefully) they can let you see your mistakes without having to fine you for 'em!

I haven't been pulled over in quite awhile, and would like to keep it that way...but I've already thought about this idea before.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
I suspect we have one or two cops or ex-cops here, and I'd love to hear their take on this.

I look at the whole situation, so I don't think it would matter to me if someone called me by name.

Sometimes people will drop the names of other officers (or city officials) because they assume I will cut them a break if they are friends. That probably makes me lean towards citing them, which in wrong on my part.

I try to be as fair and reasonable as possible with each individual and cite vs warn evenly. We are not encouraged to cite anyone unless there is a good reason to do so.

I get irritated at my job when people read my tag and insist on using my name ...i know its strange but most of the times they are showing a false kinship that makes me instantly more wary of them. Its the crackhead/skeezer mentality, act like you're buddies and pals and in the hope you get something out of em. I worry if a similar response would be triggered with a cop.

decodancer said:
I'll just stick to Yes Sir or Yes Mam. Being pulled over is too stressful to think of niceties.

me too. only if I know them will I call them by their name.
However when I feel I'm being harassed I keep my mouth shut except the bare minimum "yes" and "no," names, and addresses, I will not be calling the LEO anything not even sir or ma'am.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
On the one hand, this might be a positive thing. It tells him that you see him as an individual human being, not just as a faceless guy in a uniform.

I think this is excellent. Like when a cop is being nice, they'd address me as Mr. <lastname>. I'm in a State full of liberals and a decent neighborhood with not much crime, so the cops are extremely nice and polite here. Of course, I'm also respectful towards them and extends certain courtesies that they like such as both hands on steering wheel, motor off, dome lights on, and always ask first before reaching for something, etc. So all of my traffic stops begins on a good note and I almost always, get a break on something or everything.

Obviously it depends on how you say their name. Whether you say his name in a nice tone or in an a-hole one. Easy to differentiate by anyone.