The best gravity feed water filtration available.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel4Life

Reaction score
I thought for anyone trying to improve their health and become more self reliant they might find this helpful. We are 65% plus water based being, yet most of us do not truly consider what is really in the H20 we replace those values with. These systems require no plumbing, no moving parts to fail etc. and are extremely easy to maintain i.e. occasional cleaning.They are true standalone systems that can be disassembled in minutes for traveling if the user wishes. They can purify and make potable water to laboratory standards from nearly any source of water. The two filters that come with the system can filter approximately 6000 gallons before requiring cleaning or replacement. 

http://bigberkey.naturalnews.com/bigberkey.html

http://www.waterfilterlabs.com/

http://www.naturalsciencejournal.org/ICP-MS-Analysis-100-Municipal-Water-Samples.html

I am not affiliated with Berkey Water Systems, other then I have been using their systems for many many years. And continue to consider them the absolute finest gravity feed standalone systems on the market today.

While filtering water is a good idea I dislike the scare em to death to spend money tactics. Many companies use this tactic and it obviously works.
I had been looking at this device a few years just never pulled the trigger.

I mostly rely on mother earth for her filtration ability!

I know I'm one of the lucky ones - all my drinking water comes from an artesian well here during the summer. After tasting it, I hate to ever depend on city water so I carry my own if I travel.

Winter time I am dependent on commercially filtered water and when out canoe tripping I use a Sawyer water filter. which reminds me, I want to source and buy the parts I need to make it a better gravity system than it is now.

The lab essays I linked to in my post is third party, from people with conscience. The EPA continues to be caught lying about the true state of our water supply municipal and private nationally. This is a simple solution to be proactive in protecting yourself and the water you are consuming especially as mobile dwellers where your water sources are changing. Hind sight is always 20/20. And yes I agree the system utilizes scare tactics to control the masses into making them feel helpless and hopeless. But they also utilize chemicals to control as well.

Encourage & Empower others, and stop feeding the beast. I try to lift up my fellow man, so that he can see above the heard mentality and realize the real world that exist beyond.

This site has gravity filters as well....check the information tab for comparisons and other info on filter tests.

http://stpaulmercantile.com/

(can save $$ even when buying Berkey filters on Amazon and using their vessel)

A few other cool items also.

I think I found the link on this forum but can't remember where....thanks to whoever posted it first. :cool:

I have something very similar to the Berkey unit
http://www.rainfresh.ca/bucket_gravity_filters.php

it has served me well over the years, best of all it has been tested all over the world in some of the largest disasters we have seen, so I don't worry when I need to filter river/lake water here in Canada!
MP4U Gravity Unit.jpg

Attachments

• MP4U Gravity Unit.jpg
    MP4U Gravity Unit.jpg
    774.1 KB
GCAdventurer,

Sounds like your well ahead of the curve, I never heard of this company. And after your post went to investigate them and their laboratory reports, I could not find any. That is a big red flag for me, a company in this line of business must support their product with 3rd party laboratory review. Berkey publishes theirs on their website. But can also be found in numerous other place's as well. Secondly, purified water should never be stored in plastic so-called food grade or otherwise for drinking purposes. Purified water will always attempt to draw elements i.e. chemicals from it's containment vessel back into itself and that would negate the effort. Stainless steel and glass are the gold standards for storage.

This is why I recommend Berkey Water Filter Systems, and these systems are perfect for dwellers. No moving parts, easy to setup and disassemble for traveling. And any water you would drink would simple need to be poured into the top and dispense from the bottom. Very simple long term inexpensive solution. And a great way to protect oneself from all water sources.

I have no connection to this company, other then as a longtime very pleased customer.

Encourage & Empower others, and stop feeding the beast. I try to lift up my fellow man, so that he can see above the heard mentality and realize the real world that exist beyond.

CGAdventurer, those bucket filters are only good for organics (parasite eggs and bacteria); they are NOT suitable for chemical contamination from farm runoff, industrial contaminants, or natural deposits like arsenic.

They are used in Third World countries with considerable success because they don't have the chemical contamination of the industrialized nations. They are not even advised by the producer for chemical contamination.

If you want to use them locally, know what you are dealing with. Contact your local Water Board, or whatever organization/business routinely checks local water sources for various contamination. Here in the U.S., these offices usually require a personal visit, as they tend to ignore e-mail.

The filters that are used in my system have been certified NSF42 & NSF53 as well as the Berkey units. Those units also went through a US Military filtration test which my Canadian unit did not. The tests that were done on the Berkey and Rainfresh are identical and both passed. Am I going to not pick over every little thing? No. Am I worried about water in a plastic bucket and what 'could' happen? No, I drink bottled water all day at work because it taste better than the tap water. IF, I were really worried I would boil the water, cool it and then run through my system. Besides, my Canadian water is cleaner than your American water ;)
To each, their own. Having a filtration unit is better than none at all!

That Natural News test was misleading at best. They used Berkey filters with the extra, optional 'heavy metals' elements and then tested 'ONLY' for heavy metals. The other units were equipped with standard filters even though 'heavy metal' options were available.

Jeez, they even compared the Brita pitcher....talk about comparing apples to oranges!

Then Natural News became a paid affiliate of Berkey to promote their product to the prepper crowd.

"Follow the Money" :mad:

Berkey is a fine product, but there are equally fine competitive products for less money. There are several makers of ceramic filters and you can opt for heavy metal reduction or not.

I, also am not affiliated with any filter company.....but that 'Water Filter Labs' web report was a total joke!

GCAdventurer,

"my Canadian water is cleaner than your American water" Certainly that was meant in the spirit of levity right? There are far to many publications on the true state of Canada's water supply or me to list here. And NSF standards are designed to meet minimum standards only. Where are the RainFresh laboratory reviews? I can not find any. RainFresh filters are not equal to Berkey filters. But I do respect your opinion and certainly your right to make your own decision. 

http://www.bigberkeywaterfilters.com/helpful-resources/test-results/

Johnny b,

The reason the testing was done on the filtering systems you mentioned, was because those are the most popular version's people buy and think filter their water at the time of the testing. Nothing usual or suspect there. And the fact that a company like Natural News that supports and encourages clean,organic etc., should it be any surprise that a company like that would want to offer a product they tested and believed in on their website? Also you stated "follow the money," do you use money and if so are you untrustworthy because you do? Business's can only function with funds to continue to support their operation/s, it's the companies with conscience that I choose to support. Vote with your feet and your dollars i.e. bills of exchange. And I do appreciate and respect your opinion.

Diesel4Life, you need to relax. You have your choice and I have mine, we are here to share information, not push your opinions down someones throat. As for 'my water is cleaner than yours', yes that was a lighthearted joke, but hey, at least we don't have issues like Flint Mich. or lack of fresh water in Cali. Let's leave the 'mine is better than yours, no MINE is better than yours' school yard babble and move on...

Rainfresh website: "A) HIGH PERFORMANCE FILTRATION - Envirogard's ceramic filter cartridges are tested and certified by CSA International to NSF53 for reduction of protozoan cyst (such as cryptosporidium & Giardia). They have also been independently tested for the removal of E.coli, Salmonella typhimurium (typhoid), Vibrio Cholera,Shigella dysenterie (dysentery) and many other microbes"

That's all it says.

"Having a filtration unit is better than none at all!"

Not if it doesn't filter what the water has in it. And your water probably IS cleaner than ours. I wouldn't be surprised if nearly everyone's is.

GCAdventurer,

I am actually quite relaxed ,and thank you for your unsolicited opinion. I was merely trying to help "those" i.e. anyone that would like a practical simple inexpensive solution to an everyday problem clean WATER in this community-lifestyle. You posted your system as if it was a equal product, which only addresses pathogens and parasites. Not heavy metals and toxins, and has no published laboratory reviews either.That was my single and only reason/intent for initiating this post. I appreciate and respect your opinion.

Diesel4Life said:
Johnny b,

The reason the testing was done on the filtering systems you mentioned, was because those are the most popular version's people buy and think filter their water at the time of the testing. Nothing usual or suspect there. And the fact that a company like Natural News that supports and encourages clean,organic etc., should it be any surprise that a company like that would want to offer a product they tested and believed in on their website? Also you stated "follow the money," do you use money and if so are you untrustworthy because you do? Business's can only function with funds to continue to support their operation/s, it's the companies with conscience that I choose to support. Vote with your feet and your dollars i.e. bills of exchange. And I do appreciate and respect your opinion.

Gee, when I first looked at the Berkey, it seemed the most popular filter was the standard 'black' ceramic that removes all the bad pathogens and such. Only when you opt for their extra cost heavy metal modules do you get the reduction of those bad things.
So testing an "optional" Berkey set up against a standard "pathogen only" filter was just plain biased and unfair. Your defense of that above is just factually wrong.

Yes I use money....and if you promise me enough of an income stream I'll make the test come out however you want.

I was just pointing out the ridiculousness of that particular test....it was invalid on its face. There were comparable heavy metal filters to use, the testers just didn't bother.

It would be like racing the new Ford Focus RS Turbocharged 350 HP model against the 'Standard' Focus model without a turbo that is the most popular model most people are buying.....apples and oranges!

Diesel, please re read my initial post. Nowhere did I say mine was equal, better or worse than yours. Simply suggesting an alternative As Johnny did. So moving forward, with the access to clean town water stations, as well as commercial 'u fill' stations that do not charge much for clean water, how many times has anyone had to actually fetch water from a source so questionable that the limits of their own filtration unit may be tested?

Johnny b,

"Yes I use money....and if you promise me enough of an income stream I'll make the test come out however you want."  If you meant that statement, shame on you.
That is one of the biggest problems in this world today. People without conscience. My self respect and honor are far more important to me then ANY amount of money would ever be.

You also clearly missed the primary point of the testing. It was to demonstrate the inferior capability of the" most popular water filter systems" that most people purchase and believe these systems actually clean their water. I appreciate and respect your opinion but not your above quoted statement.

GCAdventurer,

Are you suggesting that the places you mentioned are known clean sources for purified drinking water? i.e. Free of heavy metals and toxins?