The Bacon Van's Full Breakfast

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
19086f04a1e1e2494baa7f0018dd2be8.jpg

dea7975fb9468569a66811f2841c2114.jpg

0292e7931535880a6369982f18ee2846.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is what I could see on the steering box - looks a little rusty, but I didn't see any cracks. Should I be looking for anything in particular? I noticed in the video they moved it - I guess I should also turn the van on and have someone steer while I check it out?

thehellend said:
OMG I'm so happy I could cry! I went for a more thorough inspection of the A/C and saw some writing on one of the hoses... "A/C 134a"

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I think I'm going to attempt a regular recharge with a kit from Walmart - think that's a good idea?
 That will usually mean some A/C tech has already vacuumed the system down and recharged it with 134. That's what an A/C tech friend did on my little Miata a couple years ago.
Sure, charge it with the kit and see what happens. It won't hurt anything. It will either work, or it won't. Good Luck.

Ballenxj said:
 That will usually mean some A/C tech has already vacuumed the system down and recharged it with 134. That's what an A/C tech friend did on my little Miata a couple years ago.
Sure, charge it with the kit and see what happens. It won't hurt anything. It will either work, or it won't. Good Luck.

Amazing. Looks like it was converted in 2003, and also had a replacement dryer and hose installed. I'll save my celebrations for when I'm basking in cool spidery air....

Great thread, just read it from the beginning. You're like me, I'll also try to tackle almost any project on an older van. If the spiders reappear get yourself a bug bomb. Follow the instructions and give it a day to air out. You may be surprised at all the little critters you will find. I saw one cockroach pre-bomb and about a dozen dead afterwards when I lived in Florida.

you are showing the steering shaft, the box is at the end of the shaft. you can see it in the background of the first pic. you want to look where the box mounts to the frame and check the mounting bolts.

to check for play in the steering you need two people. one person gets inside and moves the steering wheel back and forth. usually from 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock and back and forth and back and forth as many times as needed while the other person looks for play in all the moving parts. there should be no play if part A moves so far Part B must move the same. do this on all moving parts. now I am going to give you a tip that I don't know if I should. all this is best accomplished with the engine running. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. putting a finger in the wrong place with the engine running WILL HAVE BAD STUFF HAPPEN. if you have never done this maybe you can have someone who knows help you. or take it to a trusted repair shop and have them check it.

now for some good news if you need a washer pump Rock Auto is having a factory close out on Trico pumps $6.50. http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...56,wiper+&+washer,windshield+washer+pump,8840 . Rock auto also have all your door seals if you need them.

hope this helps. highdesertranger

At my shop we used to get the wheels in the air and then one of us would shake the wheel on one side while the other watched for play
Might not be as accurate as with the engine running, but no fingers could be lost

pic#1-steering gear box at frame,sw of bottom ujoint-is that a bolt missing?

highdesertranger said:
 if you have never done this maybe you can have someone who knows help you.  or take it to a trusted repair shop and have them check it.

Yeah, I think I'll have my new mechanic friend help me with this one, I love my fingers and would like to keep them :)

Thanks for the washer tip - might go get myself one now :)

Gary68 said:
pic#1-steering gear box at frame,sw of bottom ujoint-is that a bolt missing?

Dayumnnn you have some good eyes... I'm not seeing it...

349167a1c7b16d9e817b0fca6b3e5a2b.jpg

Ok, is this the steering box?

here's is where it looks like the bolt is missing,

steering box.1.jpg

highdesertranger

Attachments

• steering box.jpg
    steering box.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 7
  • steering box.1.jpg
    steering box.1.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 29
yep,thats the gear box,upper left bolt hole,in that pic it looks like its higher then the frame but check them out to be sure,the frame looks good though,over the interwebs at least

0f9f25e0fe9db3d98155d9927c08b064.jpg

Yep looks like a missing bolt alright! Good eye gents!

well by looking at that pic it looks like no bolt goes there. after all what's it going to bolt to. can you get a pic from the other side of the frame where that box mounts? highdesertranger

for your washer, check if it has a fuze, since its not making any noise make sure its getting power, if its getting power,,,its shot,,,replace,,,not hard to do

caretaker said:
for your washer, check if it has a fuze, since its not making any noise make sure its getting power, if its getting power,,,its shot,,,replace,,,not hard to do

Turns out it was the motor - got it working almost perfectly now (the driver's side stops squirting on full left tilt for a second, I think the wire is getting pinched). It'll do for now.

We worked on the van a little more today, we also got the chairs swapped over so the nice middle seats are now in the front, and the scratty front seats are in storage. We also attempted to remove the middle seat pillars, but the nuts are rusty so we have to do some more intensive stuff tomorrow.

Then we drank a bunch of wine and listened to the rain and it was very nice and relaxing.

More tomorrow! (And I'll take a better photo of that bolt hole!)

df673892d44644cfeb1a7253b02a2335.jpg

Got the middle seat pillars out with the help of my man, he's got that torque strength. Also fixed the AC (used 5 cans of freon!) and got one more weather seal on the door. Still not got a close up of that bolt hole, but it's on my list!