The Bacon Van's Full Breakfast

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the power window that doesnt open might be as simple as the wiring has broken where it goes into the front edge of the door.
if your vehicle doesn't have an online forum showing how to make repairs... I've read a lot of how to on the http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/ site which takes you step by step through lots of different repairs. The area behind the door panel is not so mysterious after all.

5a1ba7a2d59e22a95cdc4ed792543574.jpg

Interior clean is DONE!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yay!
Almost a shame to delete the foldaway bed, it looks so nice

ArtW said:
Yay!
Almost a shame to delete the foldaway bed, it looks so nice

Well it won't be going for a while. Too many other priorities, and a bed is a bed. But eventually yes, it'll probably get packed into the closet of rejection eventually!

have you slept on it yet? Mine is sleepable, just barely, if you get good and sideways, otherwise, not good, the backrest part sticks up higher than the rest
For now i have a piece of plywood laid across it with a cheap foam mattress
not that I'm going anywhere with the dry rotted tires that are on it lol

AbuelaLoca said:
Woo hoo!! The maiden voyage is set!!

Yep! I even spoke with placement (it's a festival-type event where you can register to be am 'exhibit') and got official Theme Camp status. We're going to be Camp Bacon Van, and hand out free tea and cocktails to the revelers <3

ArtW said:
have you slept on it yet? Mine is sleepable, just barely, if you get good and sideways, otherwise, not good, the backrest part sticks up higher than the rest
For now i have a piece of plywood laid across it with a cheap foam mattress
not that I'm going anywhere with the dry rotted tires that are on it lol

Today, after almost three weeks of owning her, I laid down in her for the first time. Yeah, it's not a great bed. I think I'll be doing the same as you and getting a mattress to place over the top. I'll figure something out - there's a reason they call me MacGuyver.

the washer might just be the motor, activate washer, listen to it if it makes a noise but nothing comes out ,,its a common part,,,,,go to an auto parts store, take a pic(before you) remove the assembley just trace the hoses from the spray nozzles, then get another one, replace in reverse of disassembly,(thats why you took pics. remember?) other wise its an elect. thing, which isn't my thing.

caretaker said:
the washer might just be the motor, activate washer, listen to it if it makes a noise but nothing comes out ,,its a common part,,,,,go to an auto parts store, take a pic(before you) remove the assembley just trace the hoses from the spray nozzles, then get another one, replace in reverse of disassembly,(thats why you took pics. remember?) other wise its an elect. thing, which isn't my thing.

No noise at all. :(

I need help figuring out my next move with the van. A/C....

I went and took a look at the system and saw it was R12 (at least, that is what is marked on it). When I bought it the guy said it needed recharging, but I knew little about the fact there was an old type and a new type. So it looks like I have the old type, and the fact it was out of freon probably means there's a leak somewhere too. Because it's never worked in my presence, I have no idea if a recharge is all it will need, or if the whole system is FUBAR.

So my options are this:

1. Buy some R12 on eBay (it's currently at like $30 a can) and try and recharge it myself.
2. Buy a converter kit for $25 and try and convert it to R134a myself.
3. Take it to the mechanic who said they can do a conversion, but the cost will be up to $400 with all the diagnosics etc.

The van is well insulated = boiling hot in traffic, even with some windows open. I also need to get the driver's window fixed, but I'm having trouble getting the door handle off to get to the opening where the motor is for diagnosis.

What would you do?

I would take it to the mechanic 400.00 is cheap.
You taking a chance on an old AC hose blowing up on you.
Make sure you check the U-joints and replace/grease them if needed.

The door handle uses a horse shoe or "C" type clip on the back side of the handle (about the thickness of a paper clip). You can pop it off with an ice pick or thin screwdriver.

Before you put any more money in it , since you mentioned frame rust. Check the frame where the gear box mounts up for stress cracks.

If it has damage they do make a repair kit for it.

This is a very common problem on old trucks, vans, and it is a critical life threatening one.
I would put this the u-joints and any brake repair's, plus the exhaust leaks on the top of your list.

Dracula could call your van home.. :cool:

Vans of this age have many little issues.
Also check your window seals, as the tend to dry up. Especially those side windows.
YouTube has a video on door handle removal, if you need it.
Windshield Washer may be a clogged/cracked line, bad  pump, empty/cracked tank. Make sure the tank has fluid. Fuse is good.

The overhead control panel is normal. Our old van had umpteen interior lights. We pulled the fuses (after several oh crap, the lights stayed on all night..again, wheres the jumpers cables moments) to all them pretty overhead lights and extra doo-dads.

I made a new list. I finally have a free weekend this week (apart from that the MIL is in town, but she can be my skivvy to pass me tools...!)

• Check steering box for stress cracks/critical damage
  • Check U-joints (I might need some pointers on where these are)
  • Find and destroy spider factory - 1 week spider-free. I'm feeling more confident, but not completely comfortable yet - next step: check in air vents, re-RAID the van
  • Washers don't work (wipers do move though)
  • Driver's power window doesn't roll down - investigating this further this weekend
  • AC needs recharging - $400 quote to do this. Seriously contemplating it.
  • Replace blinds with something less fiddly - I've now had three people look at these blinds, none can figure them out.
  • Replace carpet - I need to remove all the seats and the rear AC/heater to do it (or work around that, I guess)
  • Replace front wheel bearings
  • Interior clean 2nd pass
  • Exterior clean - just need to clean crud from behind spare tire
  • VOLTS is lit up on dash
  • Figure out electrical stuff - lots of cut wires, speakers don't work - I think I need to map things out so I at least know what all the various bits of wiring hanging by my feet are!
  • Install a new sound system with aux input/bluetooth - do this one I've troubleshot the current system and know where the failure is at (speakers don't work, seems to be no power to the radio, but the fuse is intact)
  • Slight squeal comes from the roof of the van at around 40mph - I think air is coming in somewhere
  • Weather stripping on doors is old and cracked - pending. I did one and immediately got bored. Getting some nice beers for the weekend so I can continue with the boredom in style.

thehellend said:
I made a new list. I finally have a free weekend this week (apart from that the MIL is in town, but she can be my skivvy to pass me tools...!)
Just read through this entire thread. Gotta say, you've been a real Trooper through this whole ordeal, and will end up with a very nice van. :)

Ballenxj said:
Just read through this entire thread. Gotta say, you've been a real Trooper through this whole ordeal, and will end up with a very nice van. :)

Thanks! I've navigated the rough seas of getting residency in America (I'm from the UK), so I feel like I can tackle anything now. It really is one screw at a time!

OMG I'm so happy I could cry! I went for a more thorough inspection of the A/C and saw some writing on one of the hoses... "A/C 134a"

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I think I'm going to attempt a regular recharge with a kit from Walmart - think that's a good idea?