The Bacon Van's Full Breakfast

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehellend

Reaction score
So the van is home, the vacation is over, and now I can start getting her prepped and ready to home me and my office on many excursions. I've been making a list of items that don't work, need updating, or could do with maintenance, and I plan to use this thread to keep track of all the things I'm doing and hopefully showcase a new era for the Bacon Van.

Here's the current laundry list in no particular order:

• Washers don't work (wipers do move though)
  • Driver's power window doesn't roll down
  • Slight steer to the right
  • AC needs recharging
  • Seatbelts need fixing up
  • Squeak occurs on full crank of the wheel (I think in both directions but I still need to check)
  • Read door doesn't lock - key doesn't turn all the way
  • Needs an oil change
  • Check all rubber components and replace where worn
  • Go through the recommended maintenance schedule and basically do it all
  • VOLTS is lit up on dash - car started on first attempt after 6 days sitting though, so charging system seems ok
  • Slight squeal comes from the roof of the van at around 40mph - I think air is coming in somewhere
  • None of the lights seem to work, but I don't know where the switch is for them
  • Front headlight is out and has moisture in it
  • Remove and decide whether to store or sell middle seats
  • Interior clean (decide if carpet and bed is being replaced)
  • Exterior clean
  • Find and destroy spider factory
  • Weather stripping on doors is old and cracked
  • Vinyl insert needs replacing
  • Figure out how to get CB radio working again!
  • Install a new sound system with aux input/bluetooth
  • Replace blinds with something less fiddly
...so not much ;)

I'm going to do a basic interior clean tonight, and my priorities are to get the rear door locking again, replacing the vinyl insert, and either recharge the A/C or fix the driver's window. The rest I will have to work through as paychecks/time allow.

be patient,one thing at a time and take a break when you start feeling burned out

thehellend said:

That right there, in my family, would require the entire van to be nuked from orbit.  LOL

The list doesn't look too bad, just gotta plug away it at, and take it out often enough to remember why you're doing all this!!

split your list up, do the safety items first.
1. pulls to the right.
2. seat belts(if you need new belts let us know).
3. headlamp.
4. windshield washer.
5. oil change.
6. squeak when wheels turned(ps belt is loose or needs replacing).
7. replace rubber hoses.
then do the others according to importance to you.

It seems daunting, eh, thehellend? Like everyone says, just take one thing at a time and before you know it, it'll be perfect! My van has been in the shop for 2 weeks now even though they said the only thing it needed was a leak in the AC fixed and then charged up... hmmm... I'm getting pretty antsy to get it back and get started on my list, but I'm glad I had it looked over really well by the mechanics and that's all they found!

Thanks all! Yes, I need to start categorizing stuff and working on the things that keep me and the van safe, before the 'fun' stuff. Going to go out and purge all the crap from the back now and hopefully put a stop to all those damn spiders that keep appearing.

113eb1771e00700b530109cede049dc2.jpg
RIP mouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cross one off for Helen! The bolt going into the metal just needed a good hard screw, and the plastic casing on both sides had withered in the Tennessee heat and were stopping the belts from retracting automatically. I used my new locking pliers to clamp down on the massive bolt and screwed it back into place, and then removed the plastic casing. Both work perfectly now. Yay!

Sadly we're going to have to add a new one to the list. While killing the many spiders (not confirmed that they're all dead so it's still an active item), I noticed that the exhaust pipe has holes in. I guess that'll need looking at soon.

The new list...

• [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Seatbelts need fixing up[/font]
  • Washers don't work (wipers do move though)
  • Slight steer to the right
  • AC needs recharging
  • Squeak occurs on full crank of the wheel (I think in both directions but I still need to check)
  • Read door doesn't lock - key doesn't turn all the way
  • Needs an oil change
  • Check all rubber components and replace where worn
  • Go through the recommended maintenance schedule and basically do it all
  • VOLTS is lit up on dash - car started on first attempt after 6 days sitting though, so charging system seems ok
  • Slight squeal comes from the roof of the van at around 40mph - I think air is coming in somewhere
  • None of the lights seem to work, but I don't know where the switch is for them
  • Front headlight is out and has moisture in it
  • Remove and decide whether to store or sell middle seats
  • Interior clean (decide if carpet and bed is being replaced)
  • Exterior clean
  • Weather stripping on doors is old and cracked
  • Replace broken exhaust

AbuelaLoca said:
Ewww... they're cute, but so full of possible diseases!

Yeah. I was gloved and it still made me feel a bit :/

It gets creepier still when it's just the skeletons you have to shovel up... :rolleyes:

Oh you have no idea. I basically found this whole lady's back story. There is a book of lists, lots of receipts, strange modifications to the interior (safety pinned fabric over the perfectly clean armrest), and lots and lots of replacement parts (pretty much every belt has a replacement in the back of the van). The more I discover in the van, the more I get a little creeped out by how well I'm getting to know the deceased owner.

holy Royal Plush interiors batman! I think you need to look into having a couple thrones commissioned in keeping with the theme...on swivels of course.

Hope you post pick of the progress!

:)

Yeah she's a pretty one! Makes me happy to know that the mouse died in such lavish surroundings! This Saturday is The Day of the Clean, so I'll take plenty of photos once I've calmed down and got over whatever I find hidden in the depths.

I've booked an appointment for an inspection of my van to find out what it needs done to be hunky dory - 8am on Monday, $50. That should give me a good starting point on what I can do, and what I need to pay someone to do. 

I found a ton of new belts in the back while cleaning yesterday, I'm guessing the old lady was preparing to get her fixed up, so I'm also going to ask them if they're in good useable condition (they seem to be fine, but I want to make sure).

I did some basic vacuuming of the interior. The carpet has GOT to go. I'm thinking of keeping it simple for now and replacing it with more carpet. I can rip that out later and get clever with wood flooring, but for now a new carpet will be right on the money. 

I want to remove the middle two chairs, but I don't know whether I should keep them in storage in case I want to sell the van later, or sell them off now and reinvest the money in bits and bobs.

If you have the room to store them, in all their awesome tufted glory, I'd hang on to them. You are not gonna find that level of cool anywhere else. If you decide to sell her later one, think of the pics you could post in the sale ad!!

Queen said:
If you have the room to store them, in all their awesome tufted glory, I'd hang on to them.  You are not gonna find that level of cool anywhere else.  If you decide to sell her later one, think of the pics you could post in the sale ad!!

Yeah, you're right. It would just feel wrong to sell them. Guess we're going to have to get clever with our single outdoor storage cupboard arrangement!

Some updates...

• Go through the recommended maintenance schedule and basically do it all - taking her in on Monday for a full checkup to find out how bad it is..... erk...
  • Washers don't work (wipers do move though) - Will hopefully be diagnosed on Monday
  • Slight steer to the right - Checking tire pressures this Saturday, will monitor situation
  • AC needs recharging
  • Rear door doesn't lock - key doesn't turn all the way
  • Needs an oil change
  • Check all rubber components and replace where worn - Diagnose on Monday
  • None of the interior lights seem to work, but I don't know where the switch is for them - figured out the switches and bulb type
  • Front headlight is out and has moisture in it - replaced
  • Remove and decide whether to store or sell middle seats I CANT FIGURE THE QUICK RELEASE OUTTTTTTT GRRR
  • Interior clean - Saturday
  • Replace carpet - Sunday maybe?
  • Exterior clean
  • Find and destroy spider factory - Ongoing - Raid is my best friend :)
  • Weather stripping on doors is old and cracked - replacing it might also solve spider issue
  • Replace broken exhaust

Anyone got any ideas how to 'quick release' the chair? The manual says that when a cam-type latch is disangaged, the chair can be easily removed. It's the vaguest most irritating sentence. My Haynes manual says nothing.

zK1Qjsi.png

I had a similar after-market rotating seat base on my first van........................

The center latch is the one you're looking for.............It was pretty awkward/heavy to hold the latch OPEN and at the same time LIFT-UP the seat...........by design the mating/rotating center axle point of the seat will have very little clearance

since there is a slot in the front of the base........I'd get a flashlight and look to see just what the center of the base looks like........perhaps there is a hidden nut or cotter pin holding things together contrary to the "manual" 

doug