The $1000 mark

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But it is a daily cost - it just doesn't fly out of your pocket every day; it hits you in one big lump sum, usually at an inconvenient time.
There are two way you can handle this:
- have a pile of cash saved (by saving money every month),
- borrow a pile of cash (and being forced to pay for it every month plus interest).
Those are definitely 2 options but definitely not the only options. Two more options would be 1. to pay for it out of the money you receive every month, which means you'll have less money for other things that month and/or 2. to pay for it out of the emergency fund you already have saved up. I'm sure there's probably other options - like selling something to pay for it or bartering to pay for it - but whatever the person does, it definitely has to be paid for.

Theres a bunch. Cost is usually $2200.00 a year. I live in a small compound and we have out own electric boxes so its cheap. RV parks usually include some electric, but theres a limit. I'm a short walk to the Sea of Cortez. In the summer, just like Phoenix, it brutally hot and humid. Other than that it paradise for 8 months.
If you want some photos instagram is crazyoldgringo.

Those are definitely 2 options but definitely not the only options. Two more options would be 1. to pay for it out of the money you receive every month, which means you'll have less money for other things that month and/or 2. to pay for it out of the emergency fund you already have saved up. I'm sure there's probably other options - like selling something to pay for it or bartering to pay for it - but whatever the person does, it definitely has to be paid for.
Since I was responding to your post #38, I'll limit my answer to depreciating vehicle value.

1.> I live off social security so my income is not large enough to cover large expenses such as 4 tires, auto transmission rebuild. etc. I would have $0 for anything else for a month or two.

2.> Call it your emergency fund if you like, you should be adding to it every month to enable you to replace your vehicle when it needs replacing (that's where depreciation comes in). If you replace your vehicle tomorrow, you need $$ + your vehicles trade in value. If you replace your vehicle in 5 years, you need more $$ to compensate for your vehicles lower value.

There are a lot of places you can store wealth. For your emergency fund it just needs to be readily convertible into cash.

I hadn't considered bartering. I don't think it would work for major repairs or a new vehicle.

Since I was responding to your post #38, I'll limit my answer to depreciating vehicle value.

1.> I live off social security so my income is not large enough to cover large expenses such as 4 tires, auto transmission rebuild. etc. I would have $0 for anything else for a month or two.

2.> Call it your emergency fund if you like, you should be adding to it every month to enable you to replace your vehicle when it needs replacing (that's where depreciation comes in). If you replace your vehicle tomorrow, you need $$ + your vehicles trade in value. If you replace your vehicle in 5 years, you need more $$ to compensate for your vehicles lower value.

There are a lot of places you can store wealth. For your emergency fund it just needs to be readily convertible into cash.

I hadn't considered bartering. I don't think it would work for major repairs or a new vehicle.
Glad you know what you need to do to live this life and be ok. My experience is different but that's why there's no one way that works for everybody. I've never owned any car that's ever needed a transmission/engine rebuild and I usually buy 2 used tires at a time when I need new tires so I can pay for them and regular maintenance out of my monthly income. I usually keep cars for 10 or more years and then I finance new ones so my emergency fund never has to cover the price of an entire car. And thankfully my emergency fund is to the point where I don't have to add to it every month.

Since that isn't everybody's truth, I'm glad you're also letting people know what works for you. There's definitely more than one way to skin a cat.

So you think you can get a budget down somewhere into the $750-800/month level with your projected changes? If I'm understanding you, that's pretty good.
Once I get som eof my costs more under control, and the weather gets better It will be no problem. Right now I'm paying for campgrounds just so I can plug in a heater when it's cold. The bathrooms are a nice benefit too.
Right now my van is registered to Queens NY. I'm pretty sure I can get cheaper insurance registered ANYWHERE else.
Gonna try to get my budget down sub $1000 for the whole spring/summer. If not sub $600.
I think getting a 20lb propane tank adapter may help. Cheaper propane, but also more cooking from scratch and less worry about using up these little 1lb bottles.

Mr gringojohn, although I did just finish a van build I live full time in my 5er 30 foot..I was living in Portland Oregon after buying and selling RE for over 20 years I found myself living in one of my buildings that I had sold and paying $650 for a very very small studio and thought I can buy a truck and trailer and live cheaper and go wherever..so I did and best thing ever..I could see the handwriting inth e wall, economy, my ability or willingness to work more to keep up with the economic times etc etc..Been living in my rig for about 10 years now and other then maintenance haven't had any major issues a, love the freedom to move if I want and that is HOW I found you...had moved to Mexico and then came back for a job in the 2020 Census and then the border got closed...been great where I live since I love the quiet and solitude but it has been hard on some folks that need to be social and around folks all the time...here is a couple of pics of my rig and where I live with views from top while I was putting up my solar!

Attachments

• IMG_20210920_061954.jpg
    IMG_20210920_061954.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210921_133055.jpg
    IMG_20210921_133055.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 12
  • VID_20210307_124023 (2).mp4
    6.6 MB
  • VID_20210312_075637.mp4
    9.1 MB
Once I get som eof my costs more under control, and the weather gets better It will be no problem. Right now I'm paying for campgrounds just so I can plug in a heater when it's cold. The bathrooms are a nice benefit too.
Right now my van is registered to Queens NY. I'm pretty sure I can get cheaper insurance registered ANYWHERE else.
Gonna try to get my budget down sub $1000 for the whole spring/summer. If not sub $600.
I think getting a 20lb propane tank adapter may help. Cheaper propane, but also more cooking from scratch and less worry about using up these little 1lb bottles.
My suggestion if you can find where to park for free or much cheaper then parks is get a diesel heater..will keep a van warm or HOT if you wish.I use one 5k model to keep my 30 foot 5er nice and warm down to 27 or so much cheaper then propane no danger of fires and no humidity either

Attachments

• IMG_20191221_200349274.jpg
    IMG_20191221_200349274.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20191221_200402336.jpg
    IMG_20191221_200402336.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 5
  • running throughits paces.mp4
    4.8 MB
Mr gringojohn, although I did just finish a van build I live full time in my 5er 30 foot..I was living in Portland Oregon after buying and selling RE for over 20 years I found myself living in one of my buildings that I had sold and paying $650 for a very very small studio and thought I can buy a truck and trailer and live cheaper and go wherever..so I did and best thing ever..I could see the handwriting inth e wall, economy, my ability or willingness to work more to keep up with the economic times etc etc..Been living in my rig for about 10 years now and other then maintenance haven't had any major issues a, love the freedom to move if I want and that is HOW I found you...had moved to Mexico and then came back for a job in the 2020 Census and then the border got closed...been great where I live since I love the quiet and solitude but it has been hard on some folks that need to be social and around folks all the time...here is a couple of pics of my rig and where I live with views from top while I was putting up my solar!
Thats an awesome build! I use a 2003 dodge durango for camping. Ripped out back seats and put in a platform with storage under. I don't go out long, just days at a time BLM etc. My needs are minimal and I have everything I need.

Thats an awesome build! I use a 2003 dodge durango for camping. Ripped out back seats and put in a platform with storage under. I don't go out long, just days at a time BLM etc. My needs are minimal and I have everything I need.
yea small is definitely easier..thinking of going down there in my van to check it out more then once I see it coming down with truck and trailer to stay

Concerning electricity vs propane, I know prices vary from region to region, but in Tacoma Wa, 20 years ago my neighbor with identical class C motorhome paid 3 times the price in propane then I did in using a 1500 watt space heater.
i use a diesel heater and maybe use 3 gallons every 3 to 5 days

yea small is definitely easier..thinking of going down there in my van to check it out more then once I see it coming down with truck and trailer to stay
Great idea. Theres room for you to park here over night. I can have Jose take you to the parks you may be interested in.

wow that would be great..wasn't sure with the van where I could stay..I'll bring my bike for sure to check out the town a bit...
I don't know if you looked at my Facebook page but I just got a trailer hitch for my van that I put on yesterday and it works great and all that but got today I am so sore and I realize you know his voice like s*** 60 lb when I did it up by myself putting one hand together and it wasn't really hard but you know holding it up there with one hand I'm getting too old for the s*** I tell you everything hurts today my shoulders my arms my legs but I do have the the thing on there now you know the bicycle I have a regular mountain bike but I need to have the rear tire trued but my electric bike because of the frame configuration I'm like I'm trying to figure out how to put it on the rack I think I'm going to have to like hang it with a couple ropes because none of the bikes and the frame line up with the 2 posts on the bike rack

Attachments

• VID_20220125_140604.mp4
    5.6 MB
Theres a bunch. Cost is usually $2200.00 a year. I live in a small compound and we have out own electric boxes so its cheap. RV parks usually include some electric, but theres a limit. I'm a short walk to the Sea of Cortez. In the summer, just like Phoenix, it brutally hot and humid. Other than that it paradise for 8 months.
i figure i can live on just solar so no electric specially if it's only 90 highs..you run ac all night? or just during day? i did the back half with 100 watts..now have 2000 watts on it :)

Attachments

• VID_20210919_065558.mp4
    12.3 MB
  • VID_20211031_113518.mp4
    2.7 MB
i figure i can live on just solar so no electric specially if it's only 90 highs..you run ac all night? or just during day? i did the back half with 100 watts..now have 2000 watts on it :)
In the summer the humidity is brutal. I put a mini split on my unit as has just about everyone else. In summer the ac is on 24/7. Of course the electric bill is only $50.00 in summer so its no big deal.

In the summer the humidity is brutal. I put a mini split on my unit as has just about everyone else. In summer the ac is on 24/7. Of course the electric bill is only $50.00 in summer so its no big deal.
I saw that they were pretty cheap over Mexico way..did you put in a 110 or 220 version? Hee I run the AC ll night too in summer then I have to run generator at night costs me About 5 bucks each day so the cost would be even cheaper for that down there!

My suggestion if you can find where to park for free or much cheaper then parks is get a diesel heater..will keep a van warm or HOT if you wish.I use one 5k model to keep my 30 foot 5er nice and warm down to 27 or so much cheaper then propane no danger of fires and no humidity either
That is my plan. I'm working my way south until it gets warm enough to work on the van.
I cant be cutting holes in the floor with power tools when it's 30F and snowed last night!
Going to upgrade my power system and add shore hookups for water and power.
Sometimes I want to camp in national parks, not just need.

One of the things about hitting the $1000 a month or less mark is going to be what is your expected level of comfort?
I've lived an interesting life. Twice I ended up homeless and made do living in abandoned buildings or prevailing on my friends to couch surf.
So I kind of developed a higher tolerance for what some might consider adversity.
I use public bathrooms all the time. I know people who are revolted by the idea, or being attractive young women might not feel safe.
Likewise I learned how to cook at a young age, being raised by a single parent. Then when I was in college I was always broke and lived near Oakland Chinatown so I got good at cooking cheap.
I dont buy a lot of prepackaged food which some people are very accustomed to as a way of life. In fact I am shocked when I go grocery shopping and the person in front of me spend $200+ on a lot of microwave meals, frozen pizza etc. It's not just expensive, but also unhealthy!
My common shopping trip is $15 of veggies maybe $5-10 for stuff like rice, noodles and bread, and maybe another $5 for condiments, etc.
Currently investigating lowering my insurance and cellphone data plan costs. Also moving my stuff out of storage in an expensive area to a cheap area.
I should be able to save a few hundred a month after I get those 3 figured out.
Thanks for this information Calverasgrande ~ yes born in SF raised in the Bay Area Calli and the nickled and dimed to death until a life change caused me to break out onto the other side ~ LOL I seriously looked at buying during 2008 downturn and returning to that state and I am soooo glad that I did not, now ~ Just insane there and I am now accustom to breathing real air and the quietude of nature without be hassled or the life squeezed out of me. Really impressive food costs you have ~.

That is my plan. I'm working my way south until it gets warm enough to work on the van.
I cant be cutting holes in the floor with power tools when it's 30F and snowed last night!
Going to upgrade my power system and add shore hookups for water and power.
Sometimes I want to camp in national parks, not just need.
well you know what they say Rome was not built in a day!! baby steps baby steps and pretty soon you have a whole thing all set up but yeah cutting the holes in 30° weather in the snow not much fun

I saw that they were pretty cheap over Mexico way..did you put in a 110 or 220 version? Hee I run the AC ll night too in summer then I have to run generator at night costs me About 5 bucks each day so the cost would be even cheaper for that down there!
I don't know what we put in. Likely 220 since that already set up for washer dryer. Lifes pretty easy. I enjoy waking up without a worry in the world. Except cooking up ribs for superbowl party and Sonoran ribeyes a bit later.

Attachments

• IMG_20220127_094619_059.jpg
    IMG_20220127_094619_059.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 5