Texas doctor dies at Grand Canyon NP... possible dehydration

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's because doctors these days dont know how to even use a magnet. They rely on cellphones and desk references and are over-confident.....

err sorry wrong thread

It may be that she was disoriented already from heat exhaustion. Hard to say. The article said the kids were found and are ok. Sad situation. Hasn't been that long since that happened at White Sands in New Mexico.

bardo said:
That's because doctors these days dont know how to even use a magnet. They rely on cellphones and desk references and are over-confident.....

err sorry wrong thread

Ballenxj said:
Magnet = Compass.

Most smart phones have a compass....just sayin'

Guess she didnt have a cell phone either.....or didnt know how to use the compass in it.

IMHO relying on cell phones to get you out of a jam in the boonies is a bad bet at best. this is yet another sad story and I don't know the details. but I do know many of these stories start with, "their cell phone battery died" or "their phone told them to go that way". cell phones have their place but not for backcountry navigation. put the phone away and learn backcountry navigation the old way. my 2 cents. highdesertranger

This is exactly right. My cell phones main function is communication, and secondarily, taking photos of opportunity. The GPS is handy for finding an address in town for convenience. Out in the remote area's? Not so much.
Know it's limitations, and don't rely on it when the stakes are high, as in your life.