Temporarily unweight suspension

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spicyguy

Reaction score
So I'm trying to install some aftermarket bumpstops that fit between my axle and frame but I need about another inch of clearance to squeeze them in as suspension is too compressed right now. I don't have a jack but I need to unweight the suspension on the rear just enough to get one more inch of clearance. I guess I could run my tank dry and take everything out of the van and maybe get that but I was wondering if there was an easier way to maybe just get another measly one inch of clearance. One side at a time is fine. Any ideas?

Oh, and removing tires not an option. I have nothing to torque them to 150 lb/ft.

Its a dually btw.

No jack? What do you do when you have a flat?

Haven't had that problem yet. I have a patch kit and compressor so will attempt without removing wheel and I have triple AAA worst case.

It sounds to me like your only option is finding someone to loan you a jack or go to a tire store.

I don't know if this will give you enough lift, but you can try:
- Point your rig downhill (front downhill),
- drive one front tire up on a curb,
- weight will transfer to the front and other side,
- rear wheel(s) on curb side will be unweighted some.

The steeper the hill and/or higher the curb the more weight will transfer.

for heavens sake, get a jack.

another point,

if those are the correct bump stops and you can't fit them in'

then either you are way overloaded or,

your springs are shot.

highdesertranger

Spaceman Spiff said:
- Point your rig downhill (front downhill),
- drive one front tire up on a curb,
- weight will transfer to the front and other side,
- rear wheel(s) on curb side will be unweighted some.

The steeper the hill and/or higher the curb the more weight will transfer.

...and make sure you have several wheel chocks.

My regular bump stops are shredded so I'm replacing with timbrens. So I'm thinking maybe I'll get a jack after all at harbor freight....could come in handy in future I guess...my frame rails are about 2 feet off the ground though. Any tips on how to deal with that? Plenty of space for me to crawl under with tires on but just need that little bit of extra suspension hang...

Spicyguy said:
 maybe get a jack,  handy, future, frame rails  2 feet, Any tips 
1. highlift jack
2. 5'  and 3'    5/16 link chain with hook on each end  (4)
3. 2 wheel cooks

Put in park or in gear (a high gear) E brake Jack at bumper & frame, loop 3' chain around jack & bumper lose enough to slide up and down the jack (in case things go wrong jack will stay some what in place)  use wheel cooks
The 5' chain is to carry to loop around the frame and drive axel to change tire
Or buy a highlift, wheel cook & jack stands (make sure they'r on a good pad, say a concert pad?)

riptorn said:
The 5' chain is to carry to loop around the frame and drive axel to change tire
The long chain is to decrees axel  drop  Got a 5+ rock crawler with extreme wheel travel.

Best cheep I can come up with is a junk yard jack, factory kit would be nice and complete  (friend loner) and some scrounged blocks of wood for spacers, cheep but maybe not the safest.

Another option would be air bags. Not overly expensive but you do have to have an air compressor. Re Arched springs would be your best bet.

riptorn said:
1. highlift jack
2. 5'  and 3'    5/16 link chain with hook on each end  (4)
3. 2 wheel cooks

Belt and suspenders?
Wheel chocks work better than a wheel cook.

Well, ended up borrowing a jack from a friend of a friend and got them in. Thanks for all the creative suggestions though. I thought about it but the risk of being crushed alive made me opt for a more conventional approach