Technology, the simple life, and vandwelling

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P.S. I didn't really start using the internet until about 3 1/2 years ago when I cancelled the cable TV. I didn't want to pollute my mind. The one thing that has helped me learn to do SOOO many things...is the internet. I use it every day for hours and will need to learn to hook it up on the road. I got my WI-FI disconnected a couple years ago because it is not healthy. I use an ethernet cable. I dread the idea of having to wi-fi again.

ArtW said:
Agreed, to a point, PBS and BBC both have educational programming, but watching Sesame Street (do they still have that?) as an adult wouldn't make me smarter, it's make me suicidal
and for everything you can learn on TV, you can learn it far more in-depth by reading

I read too---on my Kindle. It's a lot easier than hauling a library around with me.
;)

XFILE36 said:
 I got my WI-FI disconnected a couple years ago because it is not healthy. 

Wifi is just radio waves. It's no more unhealthy than a radio station is. Radio waves don't have enough energy to cause any damage.

XFILE36, an Amish home really? Cool!

Putts, we think alike. Using tech on the road smartly, to enhance the experience and keep safe.

Lenny flank I do have a Kindle too. It is nice to carry Around 500 books on a machine smaller than a paperback.

I remember in the 90s, I was determined to keep up with technology. I runned and gunned with all the latest Microsoft products. I remember when Windows 95 was released. When I was downsizing last year, I found the startup disks to Windows 95 on 3.5 floppies. Wow.

But now, when the iPhone came out and people started texting instead of talking, and the rise of social media, people became a lot more isolated from each other. And technology is taking us in places we've dreamed of only in sci-fi novels. 15 years from now, will a driverless van take me all over the US? Will I have to talk to a piece of plastic just to turn on the lights?

lenny flank said:
Wifi is just radio waves. It's no more unhealthy than a radio station is. Radio waves don't have enough energy to cause any damage.

You are correct they do not cause any damage, what they do is disrupt how your body and mind is actually supposed to work. This is one of the reasons many of us can only find peace far away for the power grid and other strong electrical fields. EMF sensitivity is not a medical problem the opposite is true the desensitization to it is unnatural and could very well be one of the contributing factors to the things wrong with our society.

If it wouldn't upset so many people I would gladly get rid of my phone, camera, laptop, bank account, all the technologies tomorrow. Van Life is a life of luxury not simplicity, we always trying to shove solar, batteries, water pumps, refrigerators, artificial lighting, computers and even climate control into our vans. Not that it's a bad thing.

minimotos95 said:
Regarding: Lenny's comment on wifi doesn't do damage and

minimotos95, your response:

You are correct they do not cause any damage, what they do is disrupt how your body and mind is actually supposed to work. This is one of the reasons many of us can only find peace far away for the power grid and other strong electrical fields. EMF sensitivity is not a medical problem the opposite is true the desensitization to it is unnatural and could very well be one of the contributing factors to the things wrong with our society.
I didn't want to get into all this, but WI-FI is very bad for you ESPECIALLY for children.  I DO BELIEVE it is currently damaging everyone exposed to it in one form or another.  I have done research on this subject.  Look up Dr. Barrie Trower on Youtube.  He goes in great detail about the damaging effects of WI-FI.  (I believe he is a physicist who used to work for the British government and the secret mind control programs.  I think he even helped create WI-FI)  P.S. Electromagnetic Frequenccy Sensitivity (EMFS) isn't a medical problem, per se, but can become one.  I happen to believe wifi is definitely a contributing factor to all the salespeople that can't even answer a simple question when you go to a store...and partially why people don't know how to communicate like "real" human beings...  BTW, there is a website where you can see all the cell antennas and towers in your area within a 4 miles radius.  The last time I checked there were about 400 in my area.  Do you understand what that means?  100 towers are within one mile!  You might ask yourself why, which is a whole other story.  Okay, I will shut up now, but please look into this if you haven't already.

RE:  WIFI, etc. Here is a short 14 minute video from Dr. Barrie Trower  

lenny flank said:
I read too---on my Kindle. It's a lot easier than hauling a library around with me.
;)

Ah, but I already own my books, and can use libraries in many places.  I think that's part of it, for me, you have to buy tech, and upgrade it, and when it's obsolete buy it again.  A kindle would be handy for sure, but not something I want to spend the money on.

RE: Wi-fi, if you have more time and bandwidth, here is a more detailed video of 2 hours:

I like my tech. The only TV I watch is football, so I'm not worried about not having TV!! I don't like to talk on the phone so texting is WONDERFUL to me!!! And I can be much pickier about what I watch with the internet (I've been watching tons of black and white Pre-code Hollywood movies lately). My son asked me just a few days ago if I was going to be able to live without an internet connection and I said no, so with a hot spot I'll be just fine!!

With all that said, I so love nature that I would much rather be standing in a field barefoot watching birds and bugs than a computer screen! I agree with waldenbound that a balance is necessary and we each have to find that for ourselves! In all reality, there are days where I don't leave my house at all and then there are days where I'm only home to sleep because I'm out playing in the conservation areas...

What I can say about tech is that without it, I would not have found you fine folks and my life would not be better off because of it!!

We considered Kindle also, but you have to have a service and then if you want the better one, it is more expensive and then they come along with an updated version. I think many may remember VCRs and where that went and vinyl records and those items had much longer longevity than the newer high tech.

I would have to say that I have went with the "blue" lenses that are "supposed to filter light" and I am pleased with them. With hazel eyes, the sun and other types of bright light are uncomfortable for me, and I don't like sunglasses so this works for me.

I don't spend a lot of time on the internet, more when the weather is being impossible for going outside. I like to leave my flip phone at home, feels like I am hiding and no one can find me.

minimotos95 said:
If it wouldn't upset so many people I would gladly get rid of my phone, camera, laptop, bank account, all the technologies tomorrow. Van Life is a life of luxury not simplicity, we always trying to shove solar, batteries, water pumps, refrigerators, artificial lighting, computers and even climate control into our vans. Not that it's a bad thing.

There are plenty of adventurous people who travel the world with no more than they can carry on their back.  If you genuinely feel this way, what's stopping you?

I still have my trusty VCR and Albums, cassette tapes, videos.  Oh boy, where am I going to store it all and not allow my albums to warp?????

Snow Gypsy said:
I would have to say that I have went with the "blue" lenses that are "supposed to filter light" and I am pleased with them.  With hazel eyes, the sun and other types of bright light are uncomfortable for me, and I don't like sunglasses so this works for me. 
There is an app called Turn off the lights that help with the brightness of frames around the computer screens and its free.  I also turn my computer to eco and turn down the brightness a lot.  Do you use the blue lenses indoors and out?

OP, While i am asocial a great but crazy family is one of the things I have been blessed with. One of the last times I broke a phone and mentioned that I wasn't going to buy another one and just go without to one of them they offered, aggressively not only to buy a new phone but to also float the phone bill because they knew I wasn't kidding around and for whatever reason all of them strive for contact with me.. For whatever reason I feel it's my obligation to humor them.
I've been thinking about one of those texting GPS devices, certainly better than a cell phone but expensive up front.

I did do the tent thing for a while and it was amazing and I hope to go back to it after my pup is fully matured. There's too much beauty in this world that wheels can't get to and too much sickening stuff where man has been with wheels.
Living in a vehicle it's hard to mentally overcome the desires that the fact you have tires and a motor to haul everything around, you think less of 100lbs in you vehicle than 10lbs on your back. When I moved back into the civic after tenting it for a while the "might as wells" started, 200w of solar on the roof 124lbs of battery to power a fridge and a laptop that I "might as well" drag along. Then I still have more solar than I am using so "might as well" get a crockpot. move into the van, might as well have a poly tank, 100psi water pump and that TV that's been collecting dust even though I will never use it.. Load up the bicycle that doesn't even roll while I am at it too. and that wore out snap on ratchet just in case I find a snap on truck in the middle of nowhere?

One day I will finally minimize back to where I should be. Other than my laptop and what fit's in/on my frame pack everything in this van could pass for a van dwellercamper starter kit

I really like that idea earlier about limiting how much solar one has in order limit the use of such technology.

minimotos95 said:
I really like that idea earlier about limiting how much solar one has in order limit the use of such technology.

One interesting thing I read about the Amish is one of the reason they drive horses and buggies is that they "pace" their life. No use being in a big, fat hurry because that horse pulling the buggy is only going to go about 8 mph. It also limits their travels to their immediate community. If they drove cars, then they'd commute "just to this farm", then just further out, then they're spending three hours commuting to Philadelphia and sitting in traffic jams. Now, they have no time for their children, no time to do anything after work, no time for community, and their lifestyle falls apart.

They don't live like they did 300 years ago, I think they wouldn't survive if they tried that. If they took in all of 21st century tech, I don't think they'd survive that either. They look at a certain technology and decide "would this compromise our way of life?" I think that's smart.

So, long story short, my limited solar is my van life's "pacer" to keep life simpler. I have an idea what I'm going to do, I'll give an update when I figure it out.

I agree with many of the comments here.  I have my iPhone and a 12 year old laptop that hasn't been powered on in over a year.  It is used only to back up the storage of photos and music.  And a five year old Nook tablet for reading only.

A couple of weeks ago, I flew on Virgin America to Cali for a five day visit with family.  During the four hour flight, I had these thoughts:

I bought my ticket online.  At the airport, I printed my boarding pass at a kiosk.  Purchased a shuttle ticket online and they sent texts with instructions on where to meet the shuttle etc.  The plane had screens on the back of every seat -- you used it to order whatever food or drink you wanted during the flight.  Everybody on the flight (that I could see) spent that time on their devices or watching the seatback screens (movies, whatever).  The only people I saw and spoke to were the parking lot attendant, the steward on the plane who handed me the beverage, the shuttle driver who loaded my suitcase into the van.  Those conversations were very brief.

It hit me broadside that we are losing our social skills.  We don't have much person to person contact anymore.  I go sometimes a week or more without any human contact.  Sometimes I want that.  But now and then I force myself out there and that gets harder as time goes on.

Don't know where this is going.  But it's kinda concerning.

Imma throw a clock wrench into the monkey works.

I think it's funny that we're talking about simplicity using billions of dollars worth of IT infrastructure as we chat around our keyboard campfire here.

I think humankind has developed this infrastructure because we're too impatient to wait 300,000 years for us to evolve telepathic abilities.

If you've seen "Into The Wild" you'll know the moral of the story is that we can take the drive for simplicity and finding our natural roots too far.

We are social beasts. Our natural order is to come together as tribes. Our gadgets let us do this at a distance...genius engineers have made it simple and largely trouble free.

Like all powerful tools, technology can be used for good or ill. People get uncomfortable when talking/thinking about being powerful, so will often just not think about the power they gain from using these tools. But make no mistake Bob, Nomadic Fanatic, Panda Monium, Caravan Caroline, and others look like simple folk on the YouTube, but they very likely have powerfully influenced you as they project their stories world-wide for all to see.

Humankind may have evolved these capabilities inorganically...but however artificial, our gadgets are a significant part our human evolution, and to set them aside is to step out of our species path. I believe using these tools responsibly, and with love, to make this tribe stronger is good...very good. Our good intention and actions here in cyberspace adds strength to our species and will help us grow through this dark time.

As a species, we are simply doing what we have always done. Our species has always survived by modifying the world around us and bending it to suit our own needs, from the first time some australopithecine cracked two rocks together, to our modern computer age. We have always been a technological species and always will be. It's what we are.

And Putts is right--it's rather humorous listening to everyone condemn technology as they peck away on their iPad.

lenny flank said:
And Putts is right--it's rather humorous listening to everyone condemn technology as they peck away on their iPad.

No need to condescend when people are simply sharing their thoughts on tech.  Using it doesn't mean you are 100% happy about it and what it's doing to our society.

For me, I use it because it's here and I'm stuck at home, when I travel I use it very sparingly.  Different strokes. and all that.