• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Tailgater generator

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serenity

Reaction score
I have a Tailgater generator from harbor freight, that I can't get started. It worked a year ago and I don't know how to fix it. If someone needs it and can fix it, please contact me. I suspect the fuel lines are gummed up, but I am not certain. This includes a gas can and the oil to mix. I am currently in the Lake Havasu area and heading toward Quartzsite next week. Pick up in person only.

I guess you tried it with a fresh gas/oil mix -new gas from the pump? My motorcycles and the weed- eater or chainsaw are real hard to start till they get new gas once it sits for any time period. Got a Suzuki in the garage now that cranks great but won't fire. I need to flush the old gas.
Strange thing is that the cars I have in storage aren't prone to the same problem --at least as I have seen. Maybe fuel volume is larger in the car tank?? good luck. T

Yes I put fresh fuel/oil mix in it. Still won't start. I hope someone can fix it and use it. It is free.

The carb just needs cleaning (or replacing). I just bought a carb a few months back for a small gas engine and it was only like $9.

I recall seeing something on this old house or some similar show...….that once you start a generator that you must start it at least once a month to keep it working correctly. Some seals or gaskets dry out and will cause problems starting. I don't know this first hand, just remember hearing about it.

It is almost certainly a gummed up carb...the fuel we buy these days is not good with small engines.

If you are willing to try this, it might get that genset running again:

Buy a spray can of 'starting fluid'...its available at any automotive parts store like autozone, carquest, or the auto section at walmart. Also, buy a can of Seafoam.

Pour some fresh gasoline and an ounce or two of seafoam into the fuel tank.

Open the air filter housing...usually it is a couple of metal clips or plastic latches, or some gensets have a cover that is held on by one or two screws.

Pull out the foam filter. You should be able to see the round opening into the carburetor. 

Make sure the choke lever is OFF. Turn the generator on-off switch to ON or RUN.

Spray some of the ether (starting fluid) for about one second into the carb opening, quickly move the choke lever to CHOKE, then immediately pull the starting handle normally, and briskly.

You might have to repeat this a few times, but when it 'catches' it will run on the ether for a few seconds then stop. 

After doing this a few times, letting it run a bit, sometimes the higher vacuum produced during this procedure will pull fuel right past the carb needle and/or the carb jet and the genset will run normally...if NOT..then its a sure sign the carb is plugged up.

If you cannot get the genset to run with the starting fluid at all, then the ignition system is suspect, maybe a bad spark plug wire or boot, or a loose or fouled plug.

Latest posts