Tail Gate Hitch Racks

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayakGirl

Reaction score
I hope I'm calling them the correct name :huh: . I am thinking of getting one of these for the back of the van, but not sure if it's a good idea. Anybody use one?  Like it, dislike it, pros and cons. Do they take your gas mileage down much?

If you mean hitch mounted carrier like the one in the picture they are very handy. Most will have a weight limit depending on your hitch type.

Negligible difference in MPG, use a net or cover to keep things from flying out Acover is best if you have anything someone else decide they need. I use one all the time. 

pro_series_hitch_mounted_cargo_carriers.jpg

Attachments

• pro_series_hitch_mounted_cargo_carriers.jpg
    pro_series_hitch_mounted_cargo_carriers.jpg
    41.7 KB
Hopefully Almost There will chime in. she's got the set up I want. I have a serious case of cargo hitch envy.

I also have a hitch on the top of my want list. The most important things to me, for a hitch, is the bar be angled up for high ground clearance and it doesn't cover my back lights. So it would need to be short.

image.jpgI installed this today. It's a StowAway2 with the swingaway hitch. Came
wired with lights, just plug it in. Loving it so far.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB
cyndi said:
That stowaway2 is pricey!
https://www.amazon.com/StowAway-Sta...63684&sr=8-3&keywords=stowaway2+cargo+carrier

Did it come with everyhting you needed to install?

Yeah, it's not cheap... I'll deal with the credit card balance after the rent and utilities are gone... 

Yes, came with everything. I upgraded to a locking hitch pin.  It included a hitch tightening kit and lighted license plate bracket. It's a two person job to install it, unless you're super strong or stupidly stubborn (me.....). 

It's very sturdy. I'm impressed with the quality of everything. 

Planning on keeping my camping stuff, winter boots and jackets and extra blankets in it.

I ordered it direct from the company, btw. Shipping was free ( the package weighed 125 lbs) and it included the hitch tightening kit and license plate holder, which is extra on Amazon. I also got a 5% discount for buying the same time as I added it to my cart.

It also comes in black.

I've got the Stowaway as well,, love it.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    109.4 KB
If you are driving Forest Service roads or off road a hitch carrier will reduce your departure angle.  You also need to be aware of the additional length when backing up and parking.

-- Spiff

@Moore James
That's smart how they added reflectors to the side of your box  because Ive been woke up more then once from somebody running into my cargo carrier with there vehicle , one time it was a 18 wheeler that was backing up in a hotel parking lot , that really got my attention , no wait the drunks that ran into me from behind while I was parked downtown , I think that was worse come to think of it.

cyndi said:
Hopefully Almost There will chime in. she's got the set up I want.

A little late to the thread but here nonetheless!!

I bought just the hitch assembly from Stowaway2.com. Current price is $269....hey, I swear I paid $299 for it...sigh!!

Here's the page of their website that has the frame only stuff on it...it's a little hard to find, they put it under accessories!
I also bought the hitch lock at the same time and I just realized that the hitch tightener came with mine so we're just about square on the pricing... :)

https://www.stowaway2.com/hitch-frames

I've seen the nice white boxes, they're pretty, but at that price, not a chance.

The frame only came fully assembled and a friend and I mounted a tradesman tool chest I bought from Home Depot in the cargo carrier. The box was $70. +/- which was a whole lot cheaper than the set up from Stowaway.

Basically any box that will fit the space width and depth wise can be adapted to fit on the hitch assembly.

BTW, Bob has an identical set up - he already had the box but, like Cyndi, envied the swing away hitch.

Yeah, when I saw Almost Theres rear end I knew I had to have it!! So I got me one and have been enjoying it ever since!! Marvelous piece of work! I love the way it swings.

At $270 I thought it as well worth it because you can still use the back doors of the van. It has a steep angle and I have never once ground it, even though I actually try to. But the Chevy extended have an excellent departure angle so that may impact it. On a long Ford or Dodge it might be a different story.
Bob

So Bob, do you have a big rear end....on your Chevy or is the extension between the wheels?

What's everyone storing in theirs? I'm really liking the idea of these, especially being able to swing it away to gain access to the rear doors.

The list is just about endless for me!

Basically I put all the automotive fluids that I carry, the gas can for the generator, my tool box, the OEM jack and dohicky for lowering the tire, my dirty work clothes, outdoor extension cords, knee pads, two plastic boxes with all the leftover screws and 12V electrical parts, the trim paint for the interior of the van, etc. etc. ad nauseum.

All the little things that kept making my neat packing hellish... :D 

The only problem with the Husky Tradesman box that I have now is that everything is 3 layers deep so whatever I want NOW is always at the bottom... :rolleyes:  I've got my eye on a diamond plate box from TSC that is a bit longer, a tad wider and a whole lot shorter!!