T@B or other teardrop?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
everett ruess said:
Their welded aluminum wall structure looks impressive in the how they are built section. Kind of how Four Wheel Pop Up Campers built their reputation. 

Don't let High Desert Ranger catch you driving around with that torsion axle though.    :)

I am seriously considering buying one for a second bed and extra closet and cooking space for long trips.
It will not be the coolest camper in the park but for the money I thought it was well built.

John61ct I think I have just bought a frame, with dual 6 lug axles both with electric brakes, 4 corner stabilizer jacks, electric tongue jack, with 5" c channel main runners x 1/4" thick steel, oh yeah front dual propane tank mounts that is a 7.5' x 24' platform. It is an older camper frame that has been stripped. Guessing around 1500 lbs when I put a few more cross members in as I'm going to put my 11 1/2' camper box in front of a wooden deck to haul my Samurai. Hopefully will be around 2500 lbs when completed, with 2200 lbs of Samurai I should be able to stay under 6,000 lbs and be able to tow safely with a 3/4 ton four wheel drive truck ( maybe even a beefy 1/2 ton). Even with title fees under $1200 for the trailer. With all the poorly built over weight camper shells setting on medium weight trailer frames there should be no problem finding a frame, you may just have to make a lot of trips to the dump and weld a little.

Yes I'll keep looking.

But I'm considering just saving longer and going custom, thinking an ultra light aluminum frame "base" that can also support bunks for a 22-28' sailboat, obviously need a decent TV for that.

Then a modular camper shell that slides on over that, can drop that on blocks if I get a long-term location.

and maybe a flatbed / utility box down the road.

If a suitable super cheap chassis shows up first, then great.

John61CT said:
But I'm considering just saving longer and going custom, thinking an ultra light aluminum frame "base" that can also support bunks for a 22-28' sailboat, obviously need a decent TV for that.

Then a modular camper shell that slides on over that, can drop that on blocks if I get a long-term location.

Just curious - what is your current rig/camping set up?

As soon as I get it back home I will make a special effort, may have to wait until after RTR. Wouldn't want to miss the RTR even if my old less than perfect trailer has to make one more trip.

I guess I've just seen too many broken trailers as I sit on a boat launch most days of the summer when people tow boats on trailers with several weeks of supplies on board severely over loaded. Aluminum trailers with torsion axles seem to tear up more often and be replace rather than repair. Steel trailers seem to be much more repairable at least where I am, and springs and axles cheaper if needed to replace. You can chain and block up a spring axle and move it, torsion not so much. Steel you can twist, aluminum tends to really twist and crack or break.

I have a 2005 T@B and these older ones weigh about 1300lbs, but don't have any tanks except for a 5 gallon jug for fresh water. Awesome camper!

tav-2020 said:
I am looking to upgrade from TENT!!!  Need something that a Subaru Forester can pull, approx 2000lb

Any suggestions? I need to be able to stand in it, does not need a bahtroom but would be OK if it did

I own a teardrop type of camper. It is called a Runaway Range Runner it  8 feet long and 6 ft width weighing around 960 lbs. 
Check out runawaycampers.com. located in Ocala, Florida. I pull it with a 2014 Forester 1500 towing limit. It tows with no problems.
You cannot stand up in them since it is a teardrop trailer but is more roomier than most and cost around $3000 the 8'by4' to $5000 plus with options 8'by 6'

Something I just came across, watched a video on it and what was attractive is that they claim it is built with non-toxic materials, this is a big thing for me: http://www.escapadecampers.com/alpine The link is to the "standy" no kitchen or bath, but they do have the ones that are short and boxy also. To me, it looked like they were built to last, a unique feature in today's market. They also have a FB page. Please be aware that many understate the weight using a naked weight before options and many consider nearly everything an option.

That looks pretty good but figure $4,000 max in materials. I guess an equal amount in labor to build is about right in todays market.