T@B or other teardrop?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To elaborate on Rick's post, both Aliner and Chalet offer a range of A-frame popup trailers with hard sides that would meet your two criteria of standing room and light towing weight.

What class trailer hitch can your Subaru handle?

AuricTech said:
To elaborate on Rick's post, both Aliner and Chalet offer a range of A-frame popup trailers with hard sides that would meet your two criteria of standing room and light towing weight.

What class trailer hitch can your Subaru handle?

showing my ignorance, but I don't know, i towed a coleman pop-up Cedar (smallest they made) and it had 2" ball -- does  that tell you? I can insert a different ball for a hitch (whole unit I mean). It was a Subaru dealer install  on a 2011 Forester.   I am trying to educate myself on this stuff!
Have been in an Aliner - they are nice.

tav-2020 said:
I am looking to upgrade from TENT!!!  Need something that a Subaru Forester can pull, approx 2000lb

Any suggestions? I need to be able to stand in it, does not need a bahtroom but would be OK if it did

I just went through a search for this so want to add my .02 in for those who are in the same position. Finding a REAL trailer for those of us who want to keep our tow vehicle that's limited in capacity can be difficult, especially if you want more than a teardrop. I want to upgrade from a tent as well. My campground attendant job requires a hard sided camper with a bathroom and I wanted a shower, heat, AC, fridge, etc. This will basically be my new home this summer. 

My 2dr Jeep Wrangler has a 2000lb tow rating as well and I was looking for something that was less than 1800lbs. The T@B was a tad over 1800 but lots of $$$. I loved the T@B but was concerned about the weight being so close to my limit and they are a fortune!

The smaller T@G would fit the weight requirement but I really wanted something with a bathroom and heater and having the bathroom at the rear wasn't appealing when it comes to dealing with rain and snow. And there was no way you could stand up in it and very little storage room. 

So I started looking into other brands. Two Canadian made trailers caught my eye. Taylor Coaches,

There are 3 models that would fit the under 2000lb criteria. I was looking at the 12' Bobbie. These really appealed to me and I was ready to order one ASAP. Too bad there's a TWO YEAR waiting period. Yep, they are taking orders for January 2020 delivery. They are made to order and high quality and you have to go to Ontario, Canada to pick it up. They don't have any dealerships anywhere! You can occasionally find one used but be prepared to pay. I found one that was 10 years old and in great condition but getting financing on an 11 year old RV isn't easy and I really did want one new.  So....

I was looking at yet ANOTHER Canadian manufacturer called Prolite. They have several models under 2000lb trailers. One is 550lbs! And you can stand up in most of them and quite a few had bathroom/shower/kitchen etc, etc... I was looking at the Prolite Plus S and was all ready to buy one. They DO have a very few dealerships in the U.S. (Most are in Canada). I was willing to drive to the nearest dealership in Michigan from Colorado to buy one but the dealership was horrible to deal with. I needed financing and this dealership wasn't willing to work with or for me. Their customer service and attitude was just horrible. I was very leery about buying from them from 2000 miles away so I gave up. 

It was no reflection on the Pro Lite though. Another problem with financing is that Canadian dealers can't finance American customers and American banks don't want to lend on this trailer because it's not listed in the NADA book. This and the distance was a real problem for me. If you have the money in hand and don't need financing and are close to a Prolite dealership then I'd definitely check it out because the trailers look really nice and are lightweight.

I then looked at the Travel Lite Express 14 aluminum version. It's a bit heavier than I'd like at 1750lbs but it has electric brakes and I'm installing a swaybar as well and I don't intend to haul a lot of stuff. At $15,000 it's almost half the cost of a T@B and it has everything I want and then some...heat, hot water, kitchen, bathroom/shower, external shower, lots of storage, big bed, stereo, electric brakes, etc, etc. It's got tons of headroom at over 6 feet (I'm 5'2") and it's something I feel I can be comfortable in. And they sell these all over the country, I was able to get financing without a problem and the dealership (Rimrock in Grand Junction, CO) has been incredibly easy and pleasant to work with. 

They also have a version called the Falcon F-Lite which is a little smaller but I haven't found any for sale near me. 

If you don't care about getting a bathroom you have more options. I was looking at the Sunray 109 and seriously considering it. There is an offroad version that really appealed to me. It has an outdoor kitchen and no bathroom but it was really well equipped for around $9,000 and weighs around 1000lbs. 

I looked at the Casita and Happier campers but they are really expensive and Casita doesn't even make a smaller 13' trailer anymore and the 16' are too heavy.

The Scamp was an option but it has to be special ordered and picked up in Minnesota and I heard good and bad about the quality control.  I looked at some of the other trailers like Runaway, Eureka, etc and they are like cargo trailers with things stuck on and in. I wanted something more substantial and "liveable".

To be able to drive to the dealership and get the trailer and have it fitted to my Jeep (the dealership is installing a new 7 point plug to go with the electric trailer brakes and swaybar) and be able to work with them if there should be any problems is a real benefit. I'm going over next week to sign the paperwork, get the work to my Jeep done and take for a drive before having them store it until I can pick it up this spring. Then it's going on a road trip to Oregon to be my home for my summer job!

Attachments

• 1_15171_2176819_50440909.jpg
    1_15171_2176819_50440909.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 1_15171_2176819_50441017.jpg
    1_15171_2176819_50441017.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 1_15171_2176819_50441018.jpg
    1_15171_2176819_50441018.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 1_15171_2176819_50441020.jpg
    1_15171_2176819_50441020.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 15
Wow, your research sounds like mine! I too had found the Prolites from Canada, closet dealer to me is in Maine.  I did not contact them directly though.
I have a T@B dealer somewhat close (2 hours) in Vermont. They have firm price on new T@B 320 ( S & U versions) of 18,400 which is the best I have found for 2018 with the improved grey/black water system and aldi heater.  Weight is coming in at 1875' so close to my limit. So far it's  still hanging out at t op of my list. I get grand ideas that I can build or convert other things but reality is I would probably end up with something sub par and spend just as much time/money for the effort.

The Travel Lites and Sunset RVs links you posted are great. I am going to check out their models ( a travel lite dealer in VT and MA, yay!) I had not come across them in my searching

I am so excited for you that you found what you wanted and are good to go!! The pics are great, thank you thank you! I will be watching the forum next week, hope you start a Captain's Log after paper signing! 
And need to know what you christen her/him for sure! :D

You will really have to be very creative with design and materials engineering to get

comfortable space with an inside bath, plus

under 1800lbs and low wind profile

It might be worth paying for a pro to design it, and then DIY as much as possible (see keywords above)

Just for fun,
http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/benjamin/slidavan/index.htm

But paying for it to all be made for you, would be cheaper to upgrade to a heavier duty TV.

John61CT said:
It might be worth paying for a pro to design it, and then DIY as much as possible (see keywords above)
Just for fun,
http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/benjamin/slidavan/index.htm

But paying for it to all be made for you, would be cheaper to upgrade to a heavier duty TV.

It's a vicious circle! If I upgrade my TV I won't be able to buy/build the rv 

I do see what you are saying, that 2000lb threshold is probably generous for my vehicle. Guess it will pull it fine as long as I avoid hills?..lol.   I can go camping all over Delaware, the lowest highest state.

I meet a guy this past week who uses a Cricket travel trailer.

I just saw these the other day in Columbia TN. I was passing by and they caught my eye so I stopped and looked at them.  I was impressed. The small one starts at $4995 the larger one with a shower $8000ish.

https://www.eurekacamper.com/

Lots of people car camp for years, save your pennies that way until you can afford what you really want.

Or learn/figure out how to DIY, super-light foamie on top of a cheap utility trailer, very cheap off CL.

The kind of money you're talking about is 10x what many of the TNTTT guys spend on a basic but livable buildout.

John61CT said:
Lots of people car camp for years, save your pennies that way until you can afford what you really want

I have not stopped camping, love my tent.  And I have been saving pennies, nickels,dimes and everything I can.  Got awhile before this would be my lifestyle, just impatient to upgrade for the interim.
But it's getting closer :)

There really needs to be an awaking as to the huge demand for a light weight camping module that can be mounted to a small light weight utility trailer or truck ( lots of attempts that always end up costing too much to mass produce). Lots of do it yourself people over at tntt forms seem to manage to make a lot of mistakes but eventually get it right or spend a lot of money trying. Getting an older truck that is cheap to keep running even though it is a headache and generally gets lousy gas mileage making do with a cargo trailer or high quality older camping trailer in tow. Lucking out and finding the one in a million motorhome that isn't falling apart for next to nothing because if they do they are too expensive to fix. Getting something too small or to big. All of these things are things people have done before. It is up to the individual to take their time, evaluate their needs and go to the RTR and see in person what kinds of people are doing what kinds of things. The internet and this forum are great for researching but nothing is going to be better than getting out and seeing what you can make work for you in your unique situation. Lots of people here seem to lack confidence, lack skills or funds to do what would be ideal in their minds, thankfully there is a lot of good people out there willing to share and help. I can't say it enough, go to the RTR with an open mind and see what happens.

tav-2020 said:
Wow, your research sounds like mine! I too had found the Prolites from Canada, closet dealer to me is in Maine.  I did not contact them directly though.
I have a T@B dealer somewhat close (2 hours) in Vermont. They have firm price on new T@B 320 ( S & U versions) of 18,400 which is the best I have found for 2018 with the improved grey/black water system and aldi heater.  Weight is coming in at 1875' so close to my limit. So far it's  still hanging out at t op of my list. I get grand ideas that I can build or convert other things but reality is I would probably end up with something sub par and spend just as much time/money for the effort.

The Travel Lites and Sunset RVs links you posted are great. I am going to check out their models ( a travel lite dealer in VT and MA, yay!) I had not come across them in my searching

I am so excited for you that you found what you wanted and are good to go!! The pics are great, thank you thank you! I will be watching the forum next week, hope you start a Captain's Log after paper signing! 
And need to know what you christen her/him for sure! :D

If I were on the east coast it would've been easier. Every Prolite dealer west of the Mississippi is in Canada  I found one in New Hampshire and supposedly there was one in New York State and Tennessee but they didn't seem to have any in stock. I wasn't really in love with the idea of driving thousands of miles across the country to buy and pick up a trailer that no one on my side of the country was familiar with. The closest dealer was in Michigan (1500 miles away from Colorado) and I wasn't impressed at all with their customer service. They really acted like they could care less if they sold me a trailer. Even the receptionist was ill tempered and rude. 

I loved the T@B and wanted the 320S but at just a hair under 1900lbs I was worried about approaching my limit and almost everyone on their forum told me I couldn't pull it with a 2 DR Jeep Wrangler. Given that I live in the Rocky Mountains where you get 6-10% inclines, I wasn't looking to chance it. Then the cost was quite high on top of that. It's a shame they can't shave a few hundred pounds off it. 

The Travel Lites seem to be common and buying from a nearby dealer and having them located throughout the country is an advantage. The dealership I'm buying from has been exceptional. It makes a big difference to have that. 

I won't be actually using it until April. That's when my current job ends and I have employee housing until then. It's ski season now. Today it was snowing and 14 degrees. I'm going to get my Jeep's brake controller and swaybar installed and signing all the paperwork next week but the trailer is staying put. Right now I have nowhere to put it. 

My dealer is storing my trailer for me until I pick it up and then I plan to take it for a camping trip as I make my way up to my next job in Oregon, which starts in mid May. That's where I'll be living in it as a campground attendant. I basically needed a hard sided trailer with toilet/shower/kitchen for that job and things like heat/AC/hot water are good things to have as well. If I was buying something to just camp in I would have looked at that Sunray offroad version. It was quite nice, lightweight and priced well. You get a porta-potty and you're good to go.

4x4sportyI said:
I just saw these the other day in Columbia TN. I was passing by and they caught my eye so I stopped and looked at them.  I was impressed. The small one starts at $4995 the larger one with a shower $8000ish.

I looked at these. Honestly, they look rather thrown together and there wasn't much information available on them. I wouldn't want to full time in it. Looks great for an upgrade from a tent though.

We pulled our Aliner with my husband's bottom of the line engine 2005 Subaru Forester 5 speed manual transmission. No problem in the mountains.
Ted

> light weight camping module that can be mounted to a small light weight utility trailer

My issue is the "utility" trailer big enough for my larger footprint needs (say 7.5' x 18') is designed to carry heavy equipment, not 1200 lbs of foam shell + living paraphernalia.

So ends up weighing 5x more than I actually need it to.

You'd think a base from a wrecked caravan would work, but I've only seen actual junk for suspension+frame.

So I'm thinking DIY muddling through maybe my only way forward.

4x4sporty said:

Their welded aluminum wall structure looks impressive in the how they are built section. Kind of how Four Wheel Pop Up Campers built their reputation. 

Don't let High Desert Ranger catch you driving around with that torsion axle though.    :)

Latest posts