Switzerland? Looking for someone to help me convert my van in exchange for the flight, living expenses and pocket money.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well since I am 18 years old (now 58), one of my dreams back then, was to travel from Argentina (where I am from, where I was back then) to Alaska and back?
The couple from Italy who I linked to did that. They bought a 1994 Ford F-250 in Canada, along with a slide-in camper, and drove it all the way to Argentina.

Another youtuber I enjoyed watching drove an old VW van from Argentina to Alaska. See:

I am camped with a person who has his RV setup with both 24 volt as well as 12V. It is entirely possible to do such things if the installer takes the time to research dual voltage installation options. My electric fridge is an Engle and it will recognize both 12v or 24v as well as switching to 110V ac if that is available. My LED light fixtures will also work on either 12v or 24 volt. But not all items are dual voltage friendly so you have to pay attention when making choices and ask for a copy of the manuals as well as the specifications before making your equipment purchases.

But if your van is fully independent on solar you would never need to plug into USA 110 power at an RV park or plug into anything 12v either. You might need a travel adapter if you wanted to charge something at a cafe on USA using a 110v wall outlet. But it is not that difficult to find traveler's power adapters in hardware stores, at truck stops and stores that sell luggage to travelers.

I finished my first build about 6 months ago. This sounds like a great opportunity for someone, but for me my lack of experience with local electrical systems, regulations, supply chain, etc. seems like quite a challenge. But keep trying, the right person is probably out there. Good luck.

Hi Monica.

This sounds like a sweet deal, where do I sign?

I've done one full conversion in the past, a Citroën C15 for two people. I speak French relatively fluently. Had trade training in electricity, even if it was 25 years ago. Perhaps we can work out a deal?

/Mattias