Switzerland? Looking for someone to help me convert my van in exchange for the flight, living expenses and pocket money.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monica99

Reaction score
I would like to know if there is anyone out there very handy with experience in van conversion, able to install the electrical and everything else. I pay you the flight, the living expenses and some extra pocket money. You get your own bedroom in a village at 1300 meters altitude in the Swiss Alps, in Leysin, https://www.myswitzerland.com/en-ch/destinations/leysin/
close to France and to Italy.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-08-12 at 9.24.23 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-08-12 at 9.24.23 AM.jpeg
    229.7 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-08-12 at 9.24.34 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-08-12 at 9.24.34 AM.jpeg
    358.3 KB · Views: 0
That sounds like an amazing opportunity for someone with the skills you require but I wonder if there are any nearby sources for tools, equipment and supplies, a place to work, and how are incoming shipments of tools, equipment, hardware, and supplies (which are not available locally) handled by customs?

We often hear about Switzerland when it comes to financial and banking policies.....but what about incoming shipments of things like solar panels, electronics, batteries, etc that might be needed for this project?

You might have better luck finding someone who is already in Europe who would be more familiar with the languages and various suppliers in those countries and the logistics involved in getting things on a timely basis.

But....I wish you the best of luck and please let us know how things are going.

If you can't find someone, another option might be to sell off the van you have then start here in the US, building out, or buying a ready built, similar Ford van and exporting it home for you?

Depending on the extent of your electrical needs/wants, I don't know if European electrics are compatible with US code.
So even if you find an electrician here, would he/she have the Euro electrical experience to actually do the work?

Hi-well, first Switzerland is part of the free movement of trade within the EU and 73% of its goods come from the EU movement of goods is very standardized..over 24,000 trucks cross the border every day. Since everything needed to refurbish a van is already in Europe and does not need to be imported from outside the EU Economic Area, odds are that finding materials is not going to be terribly difficult.

More difficult (and I have run into this in The Netherlands) is the lack of people willing or available for work. In The Netherlands, 80% of people work 32-hours a week and a routine interview question is "How many hours a week do you want to work?" They are able to buy homes, raise children, and have a very high-standard of living working those 32 hours and they guard their free time is close to "sacred". Unless, it's a hobby or just a challenge someone wants to tackle - it's hard to find skilled labor. Basically, I can't offer enough money to get someone to work on my van. I've gone up to €50/hour and gotten no takers.

There are more workers and people available to work in the UK - but since Brexit, they have made it difficult to business with them there.

If you can't find someone, another option might be to sell off the van you have then start here in the US, building out, or buying a ready built, similar Ford van and exporting it home for you?

Depending on the extent of your electrical needs/wants, I don't know if European electrics are compatible with US code.
So even if you find an electrician here, would he/she have the Euro electrical experience to actually do the work?
Hi -

I don't think she is thinking about using the van in the U.S. at least that is not mentioned in her post. And, yes, European electricity is different than the U.S. version - so - it would not be compatible.

I would like to know if there is anyone out there very handy with experience in van conversion, able to install the electrical and everything else. I pay you the flight, the living expenses and some extra pocket money. You get your own bedroom in a village at 1300 meters altitude in the Swiss Alps, in Leysin, https://www.myswitzerland.com/en-ch/destinations/leysin/
close to France and to Italy.
Hi Monica -

I am in Amsterdam, The Netherlands...and have a Sprinter 3500 passenger van which I am (trying) to renovate. It's difficult here because of the lack of labor, I have found. So, I keep redesigning in attempts to avoid having to use tools and techniques I have no skills for. If you need to talk anything through - I'm more than happy to do so. (I've learned to hate wheel wells, for instance... :) ) If there is anything I can do to assist with resources that I have found - please let me know.

Cheers,

Chana

Attachments

• Van Side View.jpeg
    Van Side View.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Thanks to all who have stepped up to help Monica. I really have no clue about the work force, logistics, and supply chain issues in Europe, especially with the on-going conflict in Ukraine, which is negatively affecting almost everyone.

Here in the good 'ol USA, when a lot of us need parts, supplies, tools, and equipment for a build, we either order from Amazon, Ebay, various online suppliers, or maybe we can find the plumbing, wiring, aluminum, and lumber, at the local big box stores.

Fact is, I'd be lost over there.

Again, thanks to those who know!

Amazon.nl (Netherlands), Amazon.de (Germany), Amazon.co.uk (UK) are my favorites here as well! Ebay every one in a while - and we use the "big box" stores in our various countries as well. "Boxes" may not be as big as the U.S. but otherwise not that much different! :cool:

If you bring a helper from the USA to Europe you will have some issues to solve. That individual needs to prove upon arrival that they have enough funds in their bank account for a long stay. If they do not have the funds for that then you must sign a document saying you will be financially responsible for them. Of course you or they cannot mention you are employing them as that requires a work visa application for a non citizen. But you could get a visa if it if you can prove there is no local skilled labor available. You should think very carefully about this concept of bringing in forgein labor. It could get you into a lot of legal trouble. Plus if that person does not prove their worth it could also become a difficult situation for you and them.

Last edited:
Amazon.nl (Netherlands), Amazon.de (Germany), Amazon.co.uk (UK) are my favorites here as well! Ebay every one in a while - and we use the "big box" stores in our various countries as well. "Boxes" may not be as big as the U.S. but otherwise not that much different! :cool:
Americans are known for not knowing much about life outside the U.S.:D

I would like to know if there is anyone out there very handy with experience in van conversion, ...
Monica, I follow a channel on YT from a couple in Italy. They did a van conversion and were not allowed to attach anything permanently. Not sure if that is a rule/law in Italy or all of Europe. If you get someone from outside Europe, make sure they know the laws very well.

BTW, that couple is great about responding to ppl who write/comment. You could ask them if they know of someone. Here is their channel:

And certainly there are many from outside the USA who know nothing about the USA other than what they see on TV...or uh I mean, YouTube...

Just being fair!
Not quite so true. Not at all "fair". Many (most?) people outside this country can distinguish between TV, YouTube, and real life - unlike many (most?) Americans who have nearly zero knowledge about anything (reality or entertainment) other than the U.S.

Sad, but true. We have no idea what is going on in the rest of the world, but they are generally pretty well-informed about what is going on here.

And the argument "Oh yeah? Well neither do they" is the type of schoolyard "bravado" that is often associated with under-educated Americans. It holds up well - as long as it is not tested. Let's not go there.

Americans are known for not knowing much about life outside the U.S.:D
Lots of Americans are familiar with life outside the USA; generalizations are unwise. Personally I have lived in Germany and visited here and there (Italy, Spain, Lithuania, UK, Australia, Taiwan, etc.). Most of my siblings have visited Sweden and some have visited South America. One of my high school friends that I will see in a week lived in Greece some years ago and travels to Italy and China for work on a regular basis. My work colleagues (back in the day) generally traveled internationally more frequently than did I. My next door neighbor has traveled in Europe. I would guess that more than half of the people I know well have traveled internationally (Israel, Europe, Australia or New Zealand, China, etc.). The image of the "ignorant American" is often mistaken.

Hi -

I don't think she is thinking about using the van in the U.S. at least that is not mentioned in her post. And, yes, European electricity is different than the U.S. version - so - it would not be compatible.
Hi-
I'm not saying or implying in any way that she would be using the van here in the US!
Only that she could potentially sell her existing van then buy a Ford van here, convert it or buy an already converted van, then export it to SZ.

Good luck on your dream, Monica99, and post up when your plan goes forward in some fashion...

Not quite so true. Not at all "fair". Many (most?) people outside this country can distinguish between TV, YouTube, and real life - unlike many (most?) Americans who have nearly zero knowledge about anything (reality or entertainment) other than the U.S.

Sad, but true. We have no idea what is going on in the rest of the world, but they are generally pretty well-informed about what is going on here.

And the argument "Oh yeah? Well neither do they" is the type of schoolyard "bravado" that is often associated with under-educated Americans. It holds up well - as long as it is not tested. Let's not go there.

Wow. Schoolyard bravado?

I think not. I am a ham operator and for nearly 40 years have talked to thousands of (generally well educated and well informed) hams all over the world and the number of them who think Texas is nothing but cowboys and oil wells is amazing. They have no idea it can snow in Texas. But thats what they see on TV or in the movies.

Remember the CBS TV show 'Dallas'? It was seen around the world in who knows how many languages. Many worldwide opinions about 'Rich Americans' and the people of Texas in particular were based on shows like that, seen by millions of people in other countries.

When I work HF or ROIP mobile and tell them I am in New Mexico all they hear is 'Mexico' and they tell me my English is very good for a Mexican. When I am transmitting from Kansas all they know about Kansas is Wizard of OZ, the Yellow Brick road, and Tornadoes.

Generally speaking, they might hear international news about New York or California, or Washington DC, but the rest of the USA is completely unfamiliar to them, unless they have (as many Europeans do) traveled the 'Mother Road' or at least seen the USA 'in person'.

So it does indeed happen on both sides of the 'pond'.

Last edited:
I spent close to 10 years in Europe. The difference between U.S. and European culture and attitudes are light years apart. "Never shall the tween meet"

😄

That's it Folks... I'm not a 6 year old... I will not tolerate being treated like one. This is my last post, I'm going somewhere I'm treated as the 61 year old adult I am.

I wish all of you the very best in your journeys...

Stay safe, sane and well fed...

Cheers

Your post in the thread Say it ain't so: Potential end to Walmart overnighting... was deleted. Reason: off topic or sliding into bickering
Yesterday at 9:18 AM