Survival Food

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dragonflyinthesky said:
You ever notice on western movies they bury the dead on the ground with lots of rocks piled on top?&nbsp; Is the ground to hard to dig into or the latrine shovels they carry in the saddlebags don't do the trick?<br><br>
The desert is mostly hardpan, which is literally harder than concrete. You would need dynamite to make a hole big enough to bury someone in. A couple of years ago I tripped and fell in the Santa Catalina Mountains east of Tucson and broke both of my wrists just breaking my fall on the desert floor. Check out "Lonesome Dove," the scene where July Johnson is trying to use his tin plate to dig a grave.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I live in the pnw so I never considered getting water a problem.
To survive 1 month you need 12.5# legumes and 25# grain and 1 quart of oil.
(See my candle cooker post) .
1 cup legume 2 cups grain and 1 tbs oil will give you 2500 calories a day, forage for greens for the vitamins.
lentils, peas, rice , barley can be cooked in a Thermos, (not to my liking but enough to eat).

corn bread and pea soup
lentils and barley
popped wheat and refritos

sprouting releases vitamins too and lessens cooking time.
a 20mm ammo can will hold 2 25# bags of dry goods, a 5# bag of salt works great as a dessicant, there is also some room for other spice.

Latest posts