Super Heat Stopper - ShiNy Windows //

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B and C said:
Here is a heavy duty one that has material on one side: https://www.amazon.com/Arcturus-Wea...vival+Blanket&qid=1563244022&s=gateway&sr=8-5

Wonder how good this would work with the material side out?
I had one of those tarps up all summer on the west side of my travel trailer while I was working on the build. Definetly good for only one season, it did tear and the metalized coating did get worn off in a widespread area.   You may end up needing to mend it now and again during that season.

But it was effective at blocking the heat. Of course it also blocks the breeze from any window openings under it. Next summer I will try Aluminet and see how it holds up, for sure I will be able to get more air movement through the windows that are underneath.

In years past I have used Reflectix bubble on the exterior. It held up for several seasons so I think it is a better choice than the aluminized tarp.

Yup tarps wont last forever
but are the cheapest and easiest way to stay cool-

if I get a full summer out of tarps its Easily worth it -
lowers temp inside van by a LOT and
makes it so van is much cooler at night -

Reflectics works good but harder to hold in place -
blows away easier in wind and a little more spendy

I use strong magnets to hold in place so not much
flapping in breeze -
this tarp will easily cover van windshield

Quick question, do the tarps also interfere with cell signal?  I have to have cellular service in order to work, so before I try this I need to know how bad that impact is.  I know you mentioned it with the mylar sheets, wondering if it is less impacting using the tarps or still the same.
Thanks,

Any metalized surface will impact cell signal. Get a Wilson Weboost and stick the antenna outside, problem solved.

B and C said:
Any metalized surface will impact cell signal.  Get a Wilson Weboost and stick the antenna outside, problem solved.

I keep hearing about this equipment, so I guess it is time to investigate thoroughly.  Thank you :)

im sure tarp will impact cell signal too its aluminized

area I have been at Had Real bad signal strength
not even one bar ever -
so just moving 5 feet or removing mylar from one window
could make a difference -
(walking around with phone up in air ) lol

Month ago new cell tower was added and now get
3 to 4 bars -- NICE

so now mylar and tarp dont make as much difference
as they did before -

Out in sticks with poor signal good to leave a area open and
Clear so signal can get to phone so it will work ish -