Super Cheap Translucent Window Covering

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T.L. Ryder

Reaction score
I'm an unapologetic re-purposer, so if that's not your thing scroll on by. In our neighborhood, we have "big trash" haul off a couple of times a year and everything ends up at the curb for a couple of weeks beforehand. The people down the street from me threw away their giant old-fashioned big-screen tv, the kind that had a cabinet that sat on the floor. My husband got into it because he wanted the Fresnel lens inside to goof around with. When we got the lens out, we discovered that it came with a giant sheet of semi-flexible, translucent, polarizing material. I cut the polarized sheet to fit the windows in my bathroom for a privacy cover. The other day I was doing something and took one out and realized that not only does it act as a great fake frosted window, it also keeps out a lot of heat.  I think it's in the neighborhood of light to medium window tint in heat reduction, but I haven't done any experiments with a thermometer.

So, fellow scavengers. You see a dead big screen tv somewhere, this is great stuff.

your right about those cleanup days, going thru well todo neighborhoods makes my neck sore