summer in the desert

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogear52

Reaction score
Does anyone spend summers in the AZ desert without AC? With plenty of shade, good supply of water etc and fans I'm wondering how difficult it can be even though I like a hot/dry climate......absolutely hate cold. I spent a week in Mesa at a Best Western one summer and was very comfortable in the shade outside my room during the afternoon around 110 degree temps. I'd like to spend some time in the desert this summer and if it gets oppressing I'll just adjust the altitude.   How do you cope?

Az is my home. When I was younger the heat didn't bother me, but now its nice to migrate to somewhere cooler.
Shade goes a long way for comfort, as does air movement. Lots of drinking water is a must.

Az has cooler places for summer and warmer places for winter without ever leaving.

In the humid southeast it's a different story. Would much rather do a desert life at 110 and 20% humidity; than 90 and 85% humidity.

I've lived in a s&b in southeast AZ for about 20 years, elevation ~2600 feet. I have a swamp cooler, not AC, and generally have fans going in the room I'm in. I am NOT the normal person, however. Health has turned me into a bit of a hot-house flower, and my temp requirements are now pretty stringent. Two years ago is the first the heat really got to me, even in my swamp cooled home. Last year I wished for AC instead...
There are cooler places at higher elevations here that are not desert, but not far from it in regards to distance. Spring and late fall are nice (for me) for outdoor living, where I am now, in se AZ

I lived in the desert for 6 years just north of Tucson. It is wicked when it is hot. Dry heat is like being in an oven and wet heat is like being in a steamer. I have experienced both and neither are good. SE AL is preferable in the summer for me despite the humidity and I lived there also. While looking for a house, we spent 2 weeks in a Class C and I just don't recommend it. Shade doesn't do a lot and in the desert, you can be hard pressed to find shade. We also spent 5 1/2 months the second time we were there from April to Sept in a pop-up BUT we had access to a rec room, pool, etc. for the hotter times of the day. The pop-up cooled quickly while the motorhome held the heat of the day into the night.

We had to get ice cream from Schwann's because on the 10 minute trip from the store it would melt. I always thought the ideal would be doing the north/south thing in AZ.

Thanks for the replies folks. Looks like I have what I'll need, but will add solar and install reflectix and stay somewhat close to town.

Keep in mind that in the state of Arizona, elevation makes a big difference in the degree of heat. We live outside Kingman, and the elevation at our location is at 2,880, and it's almost always breezy or windy. In Kingman, the elevation is at 3,333. So, we don't get as hot as say, Lake Havasu City. The elevation there is at 735. The higher up you go, the cooler it gets. If you decided to stay just outside one of the higher elevation areas, you're better off. Keep water and fans stocked, and find a few daytime spots to hang out in during peak heat during the day. I hope this helps?

I was stationed for two years at Williams AFB around Phoenix back in 1979-81 when I was 23 years old I loved the hot weather. I moved to Surprise AZ back in 09 from Southern California. I lasted 6 months and had to move back to Cali. I just could not take the 110-116 degree heat in the day time and it doesn't cool off at night to below 100. And to make it worse the house that I bought AC couldn't keep the house very cool, I had the AC guy come out and check it and he said that's as good as its going to get. And the water on the cold tap came out just as hot as on the hot tap. I called the water company up and told them there was something wrong with my cold water as it was just as hot as the hot tap, she asked me if I was new to Surprise and I told her yes. she kinda laughed and said that is how it it in the summer. The water pipes are not deep enough in the ground. So I was very hot in the house with the AC going non-stop with the ceiling fans and fans I bought at Lowes blowing all over the house and still sweating like mad not able to even take a cold shower. Then you get a $400 electric bill.

I have summered in Nevada several times. the trick is elevation, get up high in elevation. 7k or better. highdesertranger

The elevation thing looks like the way I'll go. I think I'd feel trapped under my shade cloth and in my ct, but would like to check it out for a few days/nights. Thanks again to all who replied.

I've met several people who boondock off-grid in the low desert all year round. They could best be described as "sun-baked". Months of fiery sun and nearly unbreathable air will turn you into a desert rat.

I think one could adjust to most anything when young. Example: I spent a lot of time as a field mechanic in Vermont in the winter. not unusual to be changing a cyl head on a  dozer in 15-20 below zero. Later, my work took me to El Centro where it was not unusual to be field mechanicing in 110 degree heat. Your body adjusts to it. That said, old age has now caught up with me and I desire neither. so, now, I spend summers in the Ozarks, and winters in Florida.

squatting dog2 said:
I think one could adjust to most anything when young. Example: I spent a lot of time as a field mechanic in Vermont in the winter. not unusual to be changing a cyl head on a  dozer in 15-20 below zero. Later, my work took me to El Centro where it was not unusual to be field mechanicing in 110 degree heat. Your body adjusts to it. That said, old age has now caught up with me and I desire neither. so, now, I spend summers in the Ozarks, and winters in Florida.

I totally agree. In the 1980s I worked all over Southern California and many times it would be 115 F in the summer. Now it gets to be 80 and I'm whining. 25 years ago when I moved to CO, after I got used to it, I didn't think working in 0 or lower in the winter was a big deal. Now I don't like it when it's below the 40s. I prefer to think age has just made me smarter, but reality is it's probably just made me less tolerant of discomfort.  :(