Opinions from mountain full timers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaworu88

Reaction score
Hey all! I've been reading all sorts of things for months and getting an idea what I want to do. I'm hoping for some specific opinions from people in a similar climate who've been in the life for a while. I live in Denver, and am mostly planning to stay urban and stealth, most likely in a minivan. Denver has some unique challenges for a full-time van dweller. The air is thin and dry, so summer days can get into the hundreds and still have cold nights. Winter lows in the teens are common. I would probably seek shelter in temps closer to zero, which are less common. The altitude is also high, at 5,280 feet, which I've heard has ramifications for various heating solutions including the Chinese diesel heaters and the Buddy heaters. My primary goal is to save some money. I've always been very comfortable in small spaces and enjoy getting creative to make them work. I'm a half time music director for a church and this city's rent is too high. I want to pay down some bills and save up for a mortgage down payment. So I'm not looking for the very most elegant solution. I won't be putting tens of thousands into a high roof euro style van. But I also want to be safe and comfortable enough to not hate this lifestyle. What are your perspectives on heating and cooling. And I suppose anything else, though this is the heating section and I'm particularly worried about that aspect of the build. I'm pretty sure to start, I'll go with a 5 gallon water cooler bottle with a push pump, homemade toilet solution with cat litter or sawdust and modest electrical from the alternator. Small gas burner, haven't decided on refrigeration but probably a cooler to start. I don't cook that much and often live happily on ramen noodles when I have no one to entertain. It's the heat thing I don't want to get wrong from the start. It's warm enough to start work with plenty of summer days ahead and a COVID19 stimulus check on the way. I'd like to plan ahead and make hay while the sun shines. Thoughts?

Insulation is your friend, for both heating and cooling. 

I would not live in a van I cannot stand up in. It is too hard on your back.

-crofter

Denver isn’t the friendliest area for van dwellers.  You might be able to get long term parking permission at the church that you are currently part-timing at.  The church might consider you as a bit of a guard which would increase your possibility of getting permission.

Foresty forest on YouTube lives full time in a Chevy minivan in Canada. Answer to all your questions on his videos. Van tour video.

like someone mention, use insulation. Not 1 or 2 layers, multiple layers, I got 6x 1/2 inch layers on the roof. On the sides I only got 2 to 3 layers. Anywhere that air might come into your van, add insulation to that area, you can make it removable. I'm in southern california and havent used a heater in more then 2 years because all the insulation does a very good job. If I was living in a colder area, I would definitely add 6 layers all around. The more insulation you can install the better. Before I added all the insulation I was freezing in the back of my van, I had to sleep inside 2 sleeping bags and then a blanket on top of that. I had to use the mr.heater on a regular basis.

Picture of the inside of my van, insulation everywhere. Comfort is priority for me, if your too hot or too cold, nothing else matters. I can stay in my van all day long no matter how cold or hot it's outside. In the summer I use a small 2 amp swampcooler to keep cool. In the picture straight ahead is the driver compartment, I got a sliding foam door to isolate the front from the back.

interior before.jpg

Attachments

• interior before.jpg
    interior before.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 19
Urban camping …………...

Paulette is from Denver...……and just like my hometown Orlando ……..there is a city-wide ban on sleeping in your vehicle....YMMV

mpruet said:
... get long term parking permission at the church....
I also look for shade /shelter from a tree or structure. Being out of the wind can make a big difference in your comfort and winter fuel consumption. You may also be able to find driveway parking that satisfies some of those. If you decide to park under a shade, you will need a notebook type solar setup instead of the rooftop setup. My solar is on the dash of the van, but can be placed outside during the heat.  -crofter

These are all great ideas! Actually, in Denver proper, it's actually not illegal to sleep in a vehicle. I checked. There is active support for a ban, but it's not law yet. That said, the current administration is notoriously unfriendly towards homeless populations, and we're technically under that umbrella as far as law enforcement is concerned. I definitely intend to utilize the church parking lot. In fact, part of the logistics for making a minivan practical involve the fact that I have a small apartment mini washer I can stash at the church, as well as store books and various things that I'd otherwise have to simply part with or rent storage for in my office. I've floated the idea around board members and they've been supportive.

I appreciate the perspective on insulation. I'd also love to hear others weigh in as well with their insight. I've seen a lot of posts from people who part time in this part of the country and plenty from people full time snowbird, as well as a ton of optimistic newbies, but not yet a lot of people who've lived the life I'm planning. I definitely hadn't heard anyone insist on 3 full inches of insulation. But I'm not doubting it! Our winters are not as bad as people imagine. Lots of 60 degree sunshine days. But it only takes one night sleeping in 15 degree weather to wind up in the hospital if you're not kept warm enough.

Incidentally, there is at least one van lifer right on my block. There's also a suspicious class C and a school bus with no seats on the same stretch of road, but I'm certain about the hightopped cargo van with solar panels! I don't imagine there'd be any polite way to say hi unless I happened to see them coming or going, especially since it's clearly an urban stealth rig. If you're on here, speak up!

Also, what are you guys' thoughts about heaters?

It is not a bad thing for churches to have onsite security at this time. The crime of burglary has increased in many locations.

I'm at 4300 and some odd ft right now. I came up here from the low desert a couple weeks ago because I thought it was going to get hot. I run a Wave 3 with the factory insulation and Reflectix over the windows. It's not enough to be entirely comfortable even this time of year. I'm not really cold but there's a chilly edge to it after about 9pm. 

Insulate, insulate, insulate. You will need a good warm sleeping bag also. If the heat fails for any reason you are going to be in a very bad spot. If you do a good job with insulation, a Wave 3 should be adequate in a minivan. When it goes down to 20f you will feel it but it should be doable. 

No way, and I mean no way, would I choose to be in 20f in my van the way it's setup right now. I'd be miserable. It would be ok just travelling and sleeping overnight but it would totally suck to hang out in....

Edited to add:
I have insulated blackout curtains separating the cab from the rear of the van. They're not totally sealed as I keep my driver and passenger window down an inch or two with rain guards over them for ventilation. If you want half a chance of staying warm, you have to put up some sort of divider between the front and the rear. It makes a huge difference

crofter said:
Bob's vids on winter in a van, part one and two. 
-crofter

Part 1

Part 2

These are great! Good to hear from someone who is an expert. The expert, as it were. I feel better just knowing someone has done that safely. Denver weather is rarely below 10F and I think -10F is basically records most days. Plus we have an advantage. Dry air means no water. Water has the highest molar heat capacity of any common substrance. That means it acts as a temperature regulator. That's why on the east coast, temperatures often stay within 10-20F noon to midnight. In Colorado, 30F or more isn't unusual. It takes less energy to make big changes in temperature here became there's very little water in the air. And also very little air to warm at one mile altitude, for that matter. It's a question of stoichiometry. It sounds like insulation is key, and having the gear on hand to deal with cold spikes. I can do that. There's so many opinions! I've heard so many say insulation is a waste. I can do insulation!