Suggestions on how to secure this...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradKW

Reaction score
Looking at the two following pictures, you see how I am mounting my water tanks (25g and 50g) using 1'2" all thread and allstrut. Fortunately the problem of future maintenance or replacement has actually occurred to me while it's still easily addressed...as opposed to building a shower over the anchor points and having a big DOH! down the line. 

I won't be able to access the allthread/nuts from above when finished, only the nuts down below. What I think I want to do is somehow permanently affix the rod/washer/nut above so that it can't spin when tightening from below. My first thought has been down the line of JB Weld, but it occurs to me that even with the rod and fasteners all epoxied together, the entire unit might still spin. Gluing the washer to the floor might prevent that, but not sure what will reliably attach a metal washer to wood and withstand being torqued from below. 

Any other ideas are welcome to...

[img=350x475]http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/...ads/IMG_20170521_120042_zpseo3k1jyj.jpg[/img]

[img=400x350]http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/...ads/IMG_20170521_120015_zpszqq183lm.jpg[/img]

If I am understanding you my first thought would be to tack weld washer/nut and rod to the top plate. Um... provided all that above the wood is metal.

Or just use vice-grips on the all-thread above the nut from below.

I'd add a locking nut on the underside of the all-thread against the wood flooring too.

you could weld the nut to the rod creating a long bolt. no welder, install the nut then drill through the nut and rod and install a roll pin. if it was me I would have tried to attach the all thread without going through the floor. I see you put plywood under the tank, that's a good thing. highdesertranger

This is why man invented carriage bolts.

Home Depot didn't have 18" carriage bolts surprisingly enough.

HDR, how would you attach allthread without going through floor? can't really picture that. Doing the big 50 gal tank this weekend...

BradKW said:
Gluing the washer to the floor might prevent that, but not sure what will reliably attach a metal washer to wood and withstand being torqued from below. 

Any other ideas are welcome to...

I'm not sure I totally understand how you are trying to attach this, but when you said torqued from below it made me think of Tee nuts, which will bite into the wood with little teeth under the flange. Here's an example of what I'm talking about.
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Hardware-Fasteners-Nuts-Tee-Nuts/N-5yc1vZc2a4

Booger the threads above the floor and as Matlock said add and tighten locking nuts under the floor to create a fixed bolt

doug

isn't there some kind of floor joist between the frame and wood floor? are these not strong enough to attach the tanks to? if they are not perhaps do like they do on RV's and make some brackets that attach to the frame this would make the bolts needed shorter too. highdesertranger

X2 for not going through the floor- I would likely use some sort of attachment to the floor framing, either through the channel flange or with angle brackets bolted to the sides.

IF that were not an option,for reasons I don't imagine, I'd use Carriage bolts through the floor with hanger nuts under to attach the all thread to.
(hanger nuts are deep, allowing for 2 threaded rods to be coupled)

highdesertranger said:
isn't there some kind of floor joist between the frame and wood floor?  are these not strong enough to attach the tanks to?  if they are not perhaps do like they do on RV's and make some brackets that attach to the frame this would make the bolts needed shorter too.  highdesertranger

I see what you mean...and yes, there are mini I-beams that form the box support. The problems with that idea were that my allthread drops also bracket the tank tightly on both ends, preventing it from sliding. And since the I-beams don't line up with the tank lengths, it would have required fab tools and skills I don't currently have.

I did consider having something made, but have opted to go with a system I can get done myself for relatively cheap. Hopefully it works out, but if there's issues with stability and such, I'll have to backtrack and go with more like what you're saying. I agree it would be more ideal.

Gary68 said:
google water heater earthquake straps

I actually bought some, they were my initial plan. And while they do seem fairly robust, I managed to talk myself into questioning if they were appropriate to support 400 lbs over time, thus the allthread. One concern I have with them is they don't appear to be galvanized, which isn't surprising given their intended usage.

But I may end up using them on the big tank to stabilized it horizontally, since the allthread will only be at the ends, 62" apart.

You could use carriage bolts through the floor, with a lock nut and washer on the bottom side. That way you should never have to remove that part. Then shorten your all thread and connect them to the carriage bolts using all thread couplings.

Nevermind, I just realized what I wanted to do wouldn't work for you. Disregard, Cotton

I would use elevator bolts, grind down a groove in the head, and insert a pin or another smaller bolt to keep the head from turning. Carriage bolts might turn freely in the wood later on. 

Then underneath use coupler nuts to add threaded rod as long as you need.