Substitute teaching

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bullfrog said:
^^^ I also was considering teaching again. I got my finger print card and background checks done and actually applied a few places even doing an interview but for me an NPS seasonal job doing interpretation talks and tours was much more fun, nothing like a boat ride, short hike, hour question and answer with show and tell, and lunch all in the outdoors in beautiful surroundings, not to mention they furnished clothing and paid more money with cheap health insurance.
I find "floater" security work wayyy better than subbing but then I was always teaching in inner city title 1 schools and subs had "quite the challenge" with discipline, curriculum interpretation etc.  I won't go back to it.

Nowadays it's still "zoom in a room" for some schools, pitiful.

Anyway, enjoy your interpretational talks/walks position!

I loved dealing with "problem kids" so I started teaching and living in downtown Little Rock, Arkansas in the 70's in mainly minority populated schools, then later on the reservation with mixed tribes in New Mexico an even worse situation and finally in rural poverty stricken and drug infested areas in Kentucky. I even drove the alternative school bus without an aid occasionally. Got lots of great stories but yeah I did my time and won't be going back. There are lots of places to use teaching skills besides schools was my point.

Agree there's many places to use those skills and besides, there's ed school graduates needing jobs. Why should I hold onto one and deny them working on solving the problems in education? That would be selfish of me...

bullfrog said:
^^^ I also was considering teaching again. I got my finger print card and background checks done and actually applied a few places even doing an interview but for me an NPS seasonal job doing interpretation talks and tours was much more fun, nothing like a boat ride, short hike, hour question and answer with show and tell, and lunch all in the outdoors in beautiful surroundings, not to mention they furnished clothing and paid more money with cheap health insurance.

That's cool.  I can see subbing as my fall/spring job, working at a ski resort for my winter job, and doing something you describe (or just camp host) in the summer.

The National Park Service even has in the past had programs for classroom teachers to work 8 to 12 weeks over summer breaks to help them incorporate park highlights into their lesson plans.

I am now a pre school sub. Not the same as public grade schooling. I worked at this center/school for 30 years on and off. Last 9 years mostly off. At my own home preschool/daycare.
I like the sub work, no reports to fill out, no conferences, no meetings to have to attend. I don't know if I could work out of state or not lots of requirements in this field too.
But anytime we have had to move for hubby's work, I always got jobs usually with in a week.
I have been finger printed and had background checks from here to Maine. Most states, I think, now have their own set of classes etc. to be done, but most are pretty basic. I have had some really great places to work at. Liked my own best, of course.
But if anyone wants, it is a great field to get into, if you don't mind being broke.