Strut issue?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the same time not 6 days later. I can't believe this is a dealer training school. btw Goshawk I was agreeing with you even though it might not of sounded that way. highdesertranger

Bitty said:
Yes, that's exactly what happened. They informed me the struts were on, and since I wanted at least an alignment too we need to schedule a date, soonest out was Tuesday, (then 6 days away), so I should come pick up my vehicle.

It's a dealer training academy: http://www.shoreline.edu/auto/

That is a failure in both their customer service, and the fact that a mechanic MUST test drive a vehicle to be sure of the serviceability of the repair.  They deserve an "F" for what they did to you. 

Even WalMart test drives their repairs.  Tell them that.  (The ultimate shame!)

I hadn't heard back today so I called the number on my invoice, which seems to be the actual shop number. The reason it couldn't be addressed until Tuesday is because the students wouldn't be returning to the shop until then.

The person I spoke with apologized all over the place and offered to take a look at it today, so I'll bring it in and see what he says.

The guy who was there took a look and said everything's tight, it could be a defective strut. They'll take a closer look on Tuesday.

In the meantime, he called one of the trainers and got back to me asking how feasible it would be to obtain a replacement. I've just got off the phone with Autozone and they've ordered a replacement set, which should arrive Monday or Tuesday "at the latest".

I've found a spot relatively close by to hole up until Tuesday.

(And along the notes of credit card benefits, AutoZone cannot allow merchandise to leave the store without either the defective part given in exchange or payment. If I did not have a credit card, I would not be able to temporarily pay an extra ~#230 for the parts while the work is being done. I'm lucky to have a boyfriend who could have driven me to pick up the parts, but it feels good to have an independent solution.)

I am impressed by the way you are dealing with this problem.   :cool:

It's all done!

I only ever paid for the parts themselves and the gas it took to drive there. They completely waived any and all shop fees. I expressed my gratitude by dropping off 3 dozen chocolate chip cookies alongside my van this morning, fresh baked form the day before at my bf's family's place. Cost for the dough was under $10, and they're gluten and dairy free just in case any mechanics there had similar food restrictions as me. That made me feel good. :D

Strut issue is fixed--wasn't a defective strut after all, @Goshawk you were totally right it was something not tightened down all the way. I plan to return the unused replacement struts tomorrow.

At the end of the day I got back the van with the now properly functioning front struts, new rear shocks, alignment, and "oh we noticed both your tail lights were out so we went ahead and fixed those too." With gas and cookies I'd estimate the cost at about $315 total. After I get reimbursed for the other pair of struts, that is.

I'm breathing easier now.

It's been a pretty intense past couple of days; had another crisis to deal with last night so I'm running on less than 2 hours of sleep. Van was mostly emptied yesterday so they could access the shocks, and I'll probably start to move stuff back in tomorrow. For now, I'll cushion myself with the happiness of having a sound machine running under me. It sure does drive smooth now!

One note...they said they did an alignment, though one in the back is slightly off in a manner they didn't have time to get to, that it requires a shim or something because it was bent a bit, probably from an impact or going over a curb or something. He said it was pretty minor and not something he would worry about, just FYI.

Thanks for advising me along this journey everyone, I really appreciate it!