Strangest breakdowns

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
squatting dog said:
No sure it was the strangest, but, I left a single axle trailer in the center divider on I-10 just outside of El Paso. I was hauling my 34 Ford on an old single axle race car trailer with the axle welded to the frame to keep it low. I guess the welds let go and the axle twisted under the trailer and tried to buck off the 34. Somehow, the trailer stayed upright and I pulled into the center divider. The trailer was beyond repair, so I pulled of the plate, the 1 good tire and unloaded the 34 and we continued our journey to San Diego. 
I don't have a picture of the 34 on the trailer, but, here it sets with the race car. 

Also, one year many moons ago, I was tooling along in my 66 charger when the driveshaft departed. Found it, but it was bent beyond fix. Off the highway was a movie theater and I slid under another 66 dodge in the parking lot and (ahem) borrowed a driveshaft. Not my finest hour.

While I enjoy your shamelessness, I'm not sure it's a good idea to admit to abandoning a trailer on a public highway, and straight up theft of parts and leaving another motorist stranded, in a community which purports to be as tight-knit this one.

I think the pulling a drive shaft at a drive-in move may have been should I say A LITTLE HARD TO BELIEVE.  Everytime I have pulled a drive shaft there was a lot of hammering on wrenches and loud cursing involved even in a shop with the car up on jackstands.

A driveshaft is held in by two U bolts with 4 nuts normally. I can see on an older vehicle if the nuts were rusted on and the bearing caps rusted too where that could be the case. I don't live in the rust belt so have never experienced bad rust on driveshaft bolts. I have had my share of older vehicles though. Generally about 10 minutes to remove. My cursing generally came from having to replace the clutch, transmission or rear end that I broke racing.

Closeanuf, It was a conventional movie theater, not a drive in. Fortunately the parking lot was gavel because when I popped the u-bolts, the car started to roll. I was able to push a small mound of gravel against the tire. 

TMG51, I'll admit I felt a little bad about the driveshaft, but, I'll write that off to young and dumb. As for the trailer, there's more to that story. I was moving across the country and I had all my belongings in a 65 passenger school bus, A ford F-250 with a 10' slide in camper, A Lincoln flat towing a 33 chevy roadster, and a wife and child, plus my buddy and his wife and 2 children, plus another partner to help drive. The trailer was well off the interstate and there was no time to try to take it anywhere as a storm was blowing up our butt and money was getting tight, and it had been a long trip from New England to there.  Easy to say to do something... quite another when faced with all the challenges.   

The bus...
The Lincoln...
The roadster...

Attachments

• 2 penny circus.jpg
    2 penny circus.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 7
  • lincoln ready for ca..jpg
    lincoln ready for ca..jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 33 chevy 3.jpg
    33 chevy 3.jpg