Stove options for heat

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krenov72

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am mulling over some heating ideas. Anyone following just incredible on you tube has no doubt seen his $4000 dollar plus Kimberly wood stove. The Dickerson marine p9000 propane unit in his previous rig was pretty sweet , too. I love the idea of a wood stove.. Preferably a gasifier like the Kimberly. But I also think the propane is better for stealthy situations. There is a Dickerson solid fuel wood/charcoal fireplace for $400. The p9000 is about $800. Ideally, I would like both. Propane mounted lower, with the wood stove above and to the side , this may take up too much real estate, but if they kinda shared the same area , it might work. Alternatively, get the wood stove, with a little buddy. Anyone seen a duel setup? Just curious. Still rig shopping, but going to look at a 21' class c Ford with a 460... So I may have the space, and both for less than half a Kimberly including 2 stove pipes.

Having used wood to heat a cabin, a stove will drive you out of a vehicle.  Then there is the problem of hot burning objects in a vehicle that has a large tank of gasoline.  

Stove pipes?  That will get the DOT as well as LEO paying attention to you.  :s

The unit is tiny... The fire box holds a few sticks or a handful of charcoal.. I think low is 3500 btu's and high is 8... I just like the idea of having a small efficient woodstove.. You could run it on dry twigs... If nothing else it's a dry heat option, and you can make it sealed/no cabin air used as you can pipe in a sealed intake. The p9000 is pretty efficient though , and sips propane on low(500 hours on low for a 20lb tank .. They claim...

Not sure if the Dickinson is a true gasifier ... I don't think it has the second chamber... But I think it has a manifold to burn most of the smoke.. I think once you get it going, it's pretty smoke free with properly seasoned fuel ... These are just ideas of my ideal( I think ) setup.. Reality probably will change these plans, whether through budget/space constraints , and actual need vs want. lil buddy if nothing else, and I'm sure it would work fine.

I like the propane for convenience, and stealth( even a clean burning stove probably smells like smoke) but I like the idea of wood burning for times when money is potentially tight, or extended boondocking.. I would like both, but I'm wondering if I would begrudge the space if I end up mostly utilizing one... Also, I'm unsure about cooking with the Dickenson, as the Kimberly allows.. Some other marine units seem fit for cooking( thanks highdesertranger for the links) I'm off to the Internet for more research!

It just seems like expensive overkill to me. Olympian Catalytic heaters kept me comfortable in Alaska for 6 years for a whole lot less money and a whole lot less space.
Bob

Haha.. I'm sure it's overkill.. I fully expect reality to take over... I live near Vancouver, in a mild climate.. It's mostly a need for ambient maintenance , moisture control( dry heat preferred), and I would like the ambience of a flickering flame. It's expensive , but I plan on doing some remodelling, and it's cheaper to do it then vs later... But I concede yourself and many others have vastly more real world experience.. I tend to complicate certain things .. But I love simplicity ... And this site... Helps keep me grounded a bit haha.
Thanks Bob!

I'm with Bob on this one, but if your set on a wood stove there are a couple of guys that show at the RTR who've had them in their rigs .. I'm sure they could answer questions for you. The LEO and DOT will not bother you as long as you're not moving with a fire going.

My friend, Lou, had a Tiny Tot wood stove in his hand-built trailer. A few sticks kept the place nice and warm. But he took it out when he renovated because his Olympian catalytic heater was so much easier. And the wood stove took up room.

As a kid growing up in the NE I was about 14 before I realized my real name wasn't "Get Wood". With those fond memories fading away I can still say I'm a fan of wood / coal burning stoves, but not inside a metal box.
The disadvantages IMO;
Loosing precious interior space. Not just for adequate combustion clearance around the stove but the storing of burning materials. You need to have enough dry wood available to keep a stove burning for a few days if the weather keeps you inside. Then there's the gathering and cutting wood small enough for the firebox. If you haven't put your hands on one of these you need to before you buy. They are tiny. And of course the plethora of small critters that will find their way into my dwelling having crawled up inside every crease, crack and splintered mini-log I'd cart inside.

And lastly, the buggers always go out at 2 AM and it's just such a bone chilling, heart warming process to get out from under the covers and start another fire. Yea, I know, that would be a rare event. No really, hardly ever happen.

All the photo's show these nice pristine cute little stoves. Reality is always a bit less than imagined.

One of the common questions asked when you cross state lines is " are you carrying any firewood? " With your chimney they are going to want to look inside your van, annoying!

Really good point buckwilk. If LEO wants to make ithard on you then the wood provides a good reason.

All great points... It's still dependant on which rig I get, as well. I am leaning towards just a propane fireplace... Not very cold here( Vancouver , B.C.) but very damp! It has been raining for 11 out of the last 12 days.. And not sprinkling.. I mean RAINING! Plus I love the look of the fire as you relax inside. As for space, I plan on removing/covering a window, and installing it there with some extra cabinetry . That's the plan , anyway. Appreciate the insights , everyone.

As for a wood supply, I am a cabinetmaker, and have a lifetime of bone dry small offcuts at my disposal haha...

well don' travel with the flue up. put a deck plate on the roof and only install the flue when you are parked and need it. if I was using a wood burner that's what I would do. highdesertranger

Yeah, highdesertranger, there is a local guy that does that. Mostly because he needs a longer chimney to get a good draft.

buckwilk said:
One of the common questions asked when you cross state lines is " are you carrying any firewood? " With your chimney they are going to want to look inside your van, annoying!

Remember: Scrap construction-lumber and cut up pallets are not "firewood" and don't have to be reported as such.

Krenov72 said:
The p9000 is pretty efficient though , and sips propane on low(500 hours on low for a 20lb tank .. They claim...

Holly Cow!!! there must be something wrong with my Dickenson, I have the P12000 on a mixture of heat settings mostly on low it uses up 5bls in 30 hours roughly so that is 120 hours, I would be very surprised that the P9000 is much different, so don't count on the sipping rumour. I had the diesel version in Vancouver on my sailboat and it was a lot more efficient. The only issue with Diesel it is another fuel to carry, smells a bit when you lite it and slower to heat up, both are dry. You cannot cook on a Dickenson Propane or Diesel not sure about the wood one. The wood one has a very small firebox so you would be feeding it a lot. The sides of the propane version hardly get warm the stove pipe is not an issue either with the shield. You certainly need heat to survive in Vancouver over the winter. Your new RV might have a furnace and they seem to be pretty efficient or at least close to the same, maybe not as romantic typically when I run my heater (especially in summer) I can expect visitors to start peeling off their clothes IMG_3412.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3412.jpeg
    IMG_3412.jpeg
    92.6 KB · Views: 12