Storage for medication

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephen

Reaction score
I tried to find a thread about this, but didn't see any.

How do you store your medications?

Let me explain. I recently was camping and the weather was in the 90's. The med I knew had to stay cool I put in my cooler in something I thought was water tight. Nope. Melted meds. Those I thought did not need to stay cool I had in my little bathroom bag. Melted. I'm sure none of them were any good anymore. Especially the ones that looked like little bananas. We don't have a frig so are still using an ice chest, hence the meds that got water logged.

What do you use?

Hello,  This is something I worry about because I haven't traveled more than 75mls at a time since I began taking two types of Insulin injections.  I have seen where people store different food stuffs in plastic containers.  I also have pills that can melt from water or maybe even heat.  I have thought about pill bottles inside mason jars with a new seal and ring and some way to weight it or secure it upright in a cooler where the top is never submerged.  You could get several pill bottles depending on their size in a 1/2 or 1 gal. size jar.  Sometimes cafes will have empty food grade plastic jars free for the asking.  

I recycle all sizes of plastic pop bottles to use in coolers.  I wash them in hot soapy water, rinse well and do a final rinse in water with a little household bleach added.  They expand when frozen so I usually leave 1 to 3 inches from the top empty.  These will keep things cool and the water in the bottles will be drinkable as it melts. The pop bottles hold up better to reuse than water bottles.

Hope this helps.  I'm looking forward to see other suggestions on your thread, Thanks for starting it.                                                                                       Jewellann

the only for sure method is a refrigerator. I have found especially when off roading that the ice chest water will find it's way in no matter what you do. this is not 100% but just when you think you have a fool proof method you get water in your bologna. highdesertranger

Just an idea. I wash out my old peanut butter jars they are plastic have a wide mouth and shold be waterproof if lid is tightened. Nora

the problem with containers that food comes in is that most of them use cardboard for the lid seal. if the get wet they will fail. highdesertranger

Attachments

• tundra_basket.jpg
    tundra_basket.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 6
How abt a small size Pelican case? They are designed and manufactured to be water tight, with a continuous "O" ring around the opening surface, and who heavy duty latches to pull the lid snug against the "O" ring to insure a water-tight seal. They are formed in "plastic" so they are non-contaminating and won't rust.

They are not cheap, far more $$ than a peanut butter jar, but meds can be expensive too, so its money well spent. Maybe its even tax deductible as a medical expense.

They available on-line a many different sources; also at Gander Mountain and a few other places. Go to the Pelican website to see what sizes and colors are available.

Hope this helps . . .

We used to use a plastic dish pan on top of the ice for dry things.
Now, we have a fridge...second to solar its our best investment. No buying ice, no food lost, and no hassle.

For years I've used a small hard cooler with four Rubbermade containers that fit exactly. It took me a long time and a lot of tests to find ones the right size that were truly waterproof. I would put ice in at least one, and depending on the number of family members either ice or meds in the others. But for those types of trips I always had ice. I'm going full time next month and will have up to 120 days of meds with me at any given time.
I was going to put that entire set-up inside a foam cooler and only open it once a week to replenish a weekly supply.
But I just got a Yetti Roadie 20 and will use that instead. It's smaller outside than the foam one, and less fragile. I plan on leaving it sealed and filled with ice except for waterproof small containers inside the waterproof Rubbermade for a week at a time.
I'll see how it works. I'm testing that system w/o meds in 90+ degrees first, I don't want to let it sit unopened for a week and find it filled with hot water and dry meds!

I traveled using an ice chest for three years.  I tried both ice in a container and ice loose in the chest.  Ice in a container doesn't get everything it touches wet but does not distribute the cold as well (larger temperature gradient).  Food and meds were kept in tupperware type waterproof containers.  Never lost anything to waterlogging.  It also helps with keeping things organized.  You do lose space in the cooler, depending how tight you can pack the containers.

I did test out the containers by filling them with water and inverting them to see if water would leak out.  You need to be deliberate about making sure the covers are on tight.

-- Spiff

Are you talking about capsules "melting"? In my experience moisture, not heat, is the only thing that does that. Moisture exposure is the only time I've ever seen my capsules "melt" and over the summer my van gets over 100 degrees fairly often (not that I'd recommend this!). I'd suggest the possibility there was moisture in your bathroom bag. Is that the same place you put your toothbrush after use? That could do it.

I repackage all my meds into plastic bags of various sizes. All of them. I have over a dozen that I need to keep on me, and over 2 dozen more that need to be on hand in the van. There's absolutely no way I have room for all those bottles!! I transfer them into plastic bags and have never had a problem.

Only one of my meds needs to be refrigerated, and I'm with everyone else here--coolers are a nightmare with moisture. I did it for nearly a year, never found a reliable method for me. Would strongly recommend switching over to a fridge.

Back in the days when I still used a cooler, i would have a tub inside the full depth of the cooler and prevented from floating, yet there would always be some water on the bottom just from condensation alone.

When my first fridge failed and I went back temporarily to the cooler and tub within method, i found that unless the tub was half submerged with ice water, my IR gun indicated temps of Ziplocked food inside this tub ranged from 38 to 52F, and safe long term food storage is under 40F.

Not sure what constitutes a safe temperature for medications, but with a 12v vitrifrigo compressor fridge and more than enough solar for it, I just do not worry about such things anymore.

I know Dometic makes some very small 12v chest style compressor fridges that will consume much less battery power than other fridges, but I am not hearing good things about their customer service.

I have a similar problem, storing cigars of some quality in a van. Cigars require both higher temperature and humidity than your medication, and failing to maintain the requirements results in bad cigars and (I am told) hatching beetles. I have been moderately successful; I have only experienced bad cigars. A swarm of tobacco beetles would be an interesting and noteworthy failure. So I am in no means an authority on storing medication, but I do have some ideas that might have some value. Even with a working solar/refrigeration setup i would still do all of this if I needed medications for life/comfort.

I would use a small thermos jar as my primary container. This is assuming that the medication consists of small things. In the thermos I would put the pills, a desiccant packet, and a cold piece of metal.
https://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Ounc...=1468041584&sr=8-12&keywords=thermos+food+jar

https://www.amazon.com/Gram-Silica-...=1468041848&sr=8-2&keywords=dessicant+packets

https://www.amazon.com/Coffee-Jouli...&keywords=coffee+beans+cooler+stainless+phase

I have the Coffee Joulies, and would not recommend them at any price higher than the price of scrap stainless steel.  They were a gift from my sister, and I suspect that the "Phase Change Material" is derived from cattle manure. A rock would serve the same purpose. Meds, desiccant, and cold mass all in the thermos. Leave the cold mass and the open thermos in the freezer section of the supermarket, dry the desiccant packet in the store microwave, open the thermos as little as possible. Maybe use two small thermos. I would guess that the thermos holds sub 40F for a couple of days. That is just a guess.

For more than a couple of days i would put the small thermos in a bigger thermos.
https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Adve...&qid=1468042856&sr=8-1&keywords=thermos+crock
In the second thermos moisture is not a problem.  Freezer ice should be close 0F. Maybe add some salt? The small thermos shouldn't leak, its keeping out heat, giant water molecules should not be able to get in.  Some ice and salt, the little thermos in the big thermos should be cool as a cucumber for days. Replenish ice as needed.

Then, if the meds are serious business, put the big thermos in a cooler. I would be interested in how long the little thermos stayed chilled. Probably overkill, but if I had meds I needed to chill, I would start with three containers and dial it back to a place that gave me a comfortable amount of time.

Hank

Thanks everybody for your replies! There are some great ideas here. I would love to buy a frig and probably will if we stay on the road for any length of time. Right now it is an expense that is not in the budget especially since we are months away from hitting the road and don't really know for how long. If, as I believe will be the case, we continue our trip for more than the year, then we'll find a way to get one.

Some of the other ideas were great and it made me think of a couple of more ideas that might work. Thanks again for all the suggestions!

907KHAM687 said:
I would use a small thermos jar as my primary container. This is assuming that the medication consists of small things. In the thermos I would put the pills, a desiccant packet, and a cold piece of metal.

For more than a couple of days i would put the small thermos in a bigger thermos.
https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Adve...&qid=1468042856&sr=8-1&keywords=thermos+crock

Hank

Love the idea
I think I'll do the double thermos in my ice filled Yetti Roadie 20 and open it once a week. 
I'll skip the metal since I don't want to hang around a store freezer for a couple of hours a week.
I'll definitely fill the dead airspace with something, and try not to open in the hotter times of day.
Before I order though.......does the 10 oz. thermos linked to for sure fit inside the 3 qt. one linked to?
Thanks Hank.

The thermos food crock will hold a can of soda, so there is enough height for the 10 oz thermos.

Just be sure to prechill the smallest dry thermos, if it starts warm it will stay warm for a long time.

I'm using the big crock to "sous vide" steaks and frozen chicken thighs. Only in experimental phase at this point, but I have high hopes of not poisoning myself!

Hank

I put my sealed bottles in a ziplock bag.  Then all the bags get packed in a thermos bag, and this is packed in my laundry. (Clean)  

The meds never get above 70*

907KHAM687 said:
The thermos food crock will hold a can of soda, so there is enough height for the 10 oz thermos.

Hank

Thanks Hank.
I picked up the 10 oz Stanley at Walmart, but the 3 qt. is online only.
Should arrive by 29th. I'm leaving for a ten day trip the 28th, so just might get it in time for a trial run.
First week of August I'll finish moving all of my stuff out of the house except for a handful of necessities, and by midnight August 14 I must be out of the house.   
90 day supply of meds on order, my system should be in place just in time for the forecasted  heat wave.

3 qt. came yesterday. There is ALMOST enough height for the 10 oz. in it vertical, but it's shy by about a quarter inch.
Fits on it's side with ease though.
No problem since it seals tight.
The 3 qt. fits standing or lying on it's side in the Yetti Roadie 20.
I'm set!