Storage buckets

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

compassrose

Reaction score
Please read my disclaimer about vandwellers and boondockers in my signature before you post that this is not suitable for vandwellers and boondockers. Thank you.

The links were from a facebook post and I thought that some of you might be able to use the info. Many folks do not know that Gamma does make the threaded Gamma Lids for the smaller 2 gallon buckets. It is cheaper to buy the buckets locally and order the lids online. I have not seen the Gamma 2.0 lids in any store that I have been in. I'm sure someone, somewhere, carries them in stock.  

For the most part, a 5 gallon bucket is too tall for me to store either inside the bus or under the flooring outside. I do have several of the little 2 gallon buckets. Easier to store, easier for me to handle and I really don't always need a 5 gallon bucket of stuff. I do not have any of the Gamma 2.0 lids. I have been wrestling with the standard bleeping lids (the colder it is, the harder they are to get off). I need to order a case of them. I have a pile of dry dog food that I need to store. Mice seem to be very fond of dry dog food and I would rather not attract them with an easy meal.

You can buy 2 gallon Gamma Lids (Gamma Seal 2.0):
http://www.bayteccontainers.com/2-gallon-gamma-seal-lid.html
http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-20537/Pails/Gamma-Seal-Lid-for-2-Gallon-Plastic-Pail
Amazon also has them but I think Baytec is the cheapest, not including shipping (you have to watch out for those pesky shipping charges).

2 gallon plastic buckets (looks like a small 5 gallon):
Lowes
Home Depot

Mice will go through a plastic bucket like a hot knife.  Tractor Supply Store carries two gallon size galvanized steel mini-trash cans with lids.  Put in a good plastic bag liner, and your dogfood is safe from varmints.

I'm going to tell you a little secret. The Gamma company that makes the gamma lids makes a line of dog food containers called Vittle Vaults. They use standard gamma lids but they come on top of heavy duty plastic bins that are BPA free and food safe. Best of all, they are square no more, wasted corner space!

They come in sizes ranging from 15 pounds to 80 pounds of dog food. Here's the best part, the smallest one is only $14 which is just $2 more than a gamma lid by itself. For $2 more you get the lid on top of a great, square container. See it at Amazon here:
http://amzn.to/21nNkCT
Bob

I buy cat litter in 35 lb rectangular pails, ($13.00) and have a lot of extra buckets.  I will be bringing them to RTR.

Attachments

• 2014-03-23 22.56.16.jpg
    2014-03-23 22.56.16.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
akrvbob said:
I'm going to tell you a little secret. The Gamma company that makes the gamma lids makes a line of dog food containers called Vittle Vaults. They use standard gamma lids but they come on top of heavy duty plastic bins that are BPA free and food safe. Best of all, they are square no more, wasted corner space!

They come in sizes ranging from 15 pounds to 80 pounds of dog food. Here's the best part, the smallest one is only $14 which is just $2 more than a gamma lid by itself. For $2 more you get the lid on top of a great, square container. See it at Amazon here:
http://amzn.to/21nNkCT
Bob

Thanks for this Bob. I don't have a pet, but I'm thinking a couple of these would be handy for keeping some human foods crisp and varmint proof. I also saw they have a small 5-pound size.

LeeRevell said:
Mice will go through a plastic bucket like a hot knife. 

I don't have mice now. What I do have is dog food in a paper bag. I would like to keep it dry, mouse free and in a container (the bag fell over in the cupboard and a little spilled out). Just keeping it contained goes a long way to discouraging mice from entering the bus.

Sorry. I thought I was posting some info that others could use as the links for the Gamma lids also have other specialty containers (if you go to their menus). I would delete this thread if possible. Perhaps the mod can do that.

compassrose said:
I don't have mice now. What I do have is dog food in a paper bag. I would like to keep it dry, mouse free and in a container (the bag fell over in the cupboard and a little spilled out). Just keeping it contained goes a long way to discouraging mice from entering the bus.

Sorry. I thought I was posting some info that others could use as the links for the Gamma lids also have other specialty containers (if you go to their menus). I would delete this thread if possible. Perhaps the mod can do that.

:huh: You posted some great information, and others gave alternative ideas.  

One size does not fit all, but one great idea can give a lot of possibilities and solutions to many different people.  Thanks Compassrose.

I use a 2 gallon bucket with a Gamma lid for my dogs water dish. In the desert you need a lot out because he drinks it and it evaporates. Rather than dump the dish to travel I put the gamma lid on and seal it. Works great.

Out west there is a chain of grocery stores called WINCO, they sell both the 2 and 5 gallon buckets and Gamma lids to fit both. They are the only grocery store I've found that competes or beats Walmart on prices, and they are employee owned. They are my all-time favorite grocery store.
Bob

compassrose said:

No earthly idea how or where I pissed on your OP.  Just making a comment - re: rodents.  Been there, seen the result.  Not pretty.

Info on buckets and lids is okay, and useful.  Carry on camping.......

akrvbob said:
I use a 2 gallon bucket with a Gamma lid for my dogs water dish. In the desert you need a lot out because he drinks it and it evaporates. Rather than dump the dish to travel I put the gamma lid on and seal it. Works great.

Out west there is a chain of grocery stores called WINCO, they sell both the 2 and 5 gallon buckets and Gamma lids to fit both. They are the only grocery store I've found that competes or beats Walmart on prices, and they are employee owned. They are my all-time favorite grocery store.
Bob

Washington
Idaho
Nevada
California
Oregon

Also Arizona Texas, and Utah

The best bulk foods section I have come across yet. 

There are a bunch of them in the Phoenix area. 100 miles East of Q, or in Indio, 100 miles West of Q

That 50 pound bucket like Bob linked to would make a good seat.

akrvbob said:

They sound pretty sturdy.  Could these VV's be used as a toilet (the kind with the plastic bag in it)?  I realize they're a bit more expensive than a standard plastic bucket, but I like the square, space-saving shape.  Is the hole in the top not large enough to sit over?

Yes they are very strong. They use a gamma lid which is the size of a 5 gallon bucket. It's about an inch smaller than the opening of a 5 gallon bucket. They are square, and bigger than a 5 gallon bucket. especially at the bottom because 5 gallon buckets taper in, thee don't They hold much more stuff, in just slightly larger space. Being food safe they can hold food or water.
Bob

I'm glad i stumbled onto this thread. I put 3 bags of dog food in the camper today and i was thinking i ought to find a container to keep in a cupboard and either compassroses or the vv containers bob linked would be perfect.