stocking galley

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I carry one of the 3qt InstantPots on long trips, and have often thought that those with a small generator could cook an entire meal in one of these while charging their coach battery.

Seriously, 15-30 minutes, and you can cook almost anything in one of those.

I have a stovetop pressure cooker. Propane is cheap and not needed very long. It also serves as a large pot to make other things in. I have a larger battery bank, 350Ah but don't want to beat on the batteries when propane is so easy and cheap.

I use gallon ziplock baggies for most everything dry goods wise. Bring the box into the van and empty contents into baggie. Clip the instructions and put in baggie with it. Throw out box while still at the store. I cut up bell peppers and put them in baggies too. I throw them in the freezer and the rest in the trash at the store. No need storing all that air that just takes up space in a tiny place. I also carry canned goods.

Meat, I take out of the stores packaging and put in baggies too unless I am cooking it that day. Hamburger and ground sausage stay in their tubes until used and the leftovers put in baggies.

I like baggies because I can get most of the air out and they pack easily. They also get smaller as the contents are used.

I

I have never had any luck keeping what's is supposed to stay on the inside of baggies to stay there. or keep what is not supposed to get inside out of there. highdesertranger

Ive had bag failures also, so tend to get the storage and freezer grade bags when possible. 

One of the things I like a lot but havent found on the shelf lately, Zatarains Red Beans and Rice. Simple to make, and for me is enough for 2 or 3 meals. I make burritos out of it with cheese, sour cream and hot sauce.

Oh, not baggies with the zipper or cheap ones, those suck. Freezer bags and make sure to get the air out before sealing.

Powdered staples work well. Wet leftovers, you will never get it all out but with a good spoon will get most of it. Reheat in water, open top and eat. I put the baggie in a bowl to eat out of but the bowl stays clean.

Sofisintown said:
I have a small pressure cooker that is coming with me. Not the electric one, this is 15 years old. If you soak the beans etc in HOT water for half hour, it only takes 10 minutes in the  pressure cooker for beans, lentils etc. Rice takes only 5 minutes.

I've been using a pressure cooker as a slow cooker for years:
 -1- Put the dry bean, rice, etc. and the appropriate water in a small cooking pot with cover,
 ( I have 2 small backpacking pots that stack in my 3 qt pressure cooker.)
 -2- float pot(s) in pressure cooker with more water,
 -3- bring to pressure over stove,
 -4- store in insulated bag.
 ( You need to experiment with the amount of water because the water stores the heat.)
In 6 or 8 hours you have a warm meal - no need to pre-soak.

Producers spend $$ determining what packaging will keep their product fresh.  Best results is to store dry foods in the packaging it came in.  Fresh meat is different; it needs to be repackaged if you are going to store more than a day or two.

Ziploc bags et.al. ([font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]low density polyvinyl[/font]) are not air tight.  Put some fresh dog poop in a ziploc bag, seal it, and leave it in your van for a couple of hours.

But they are watertight/airtight (not smell proof). Dry goods will not get wet and wet goods will not leak out. It all depends on the molecule size.

Didn't see any science there, just opinion.
Bare steel will rust inside baggies if left in a humid environment.

Never put any steel in one so don't know. I do know steel will rust in a jar too if capped when humid. I tried to keep some nuts and bolts this way.

Malamute said:
One of the things I like a lot but havent found on the shelf lately, Zatarains Red Beans and Rice.
These are a food box staple.  Their Black Beans and Rice are good, too!  We find both varieties too salty, but that's an easy fix.  One box usually makes two meals for us with lots of go withs.  Burritos are a great idea!

My husband is pretty sensitive to food smells in the van.  I used to put things stored in zip locks inside bear bags to help with that.  (Probably kidding ourselves that bears can't smell the goodies!!)  I seriously am trying to get away from using bags, but I do remember mixing pizza dough in one with a little olive oil until the consistency was right.  No bowl to wash.  Those omelettes cooked in freezer bags are tempting, too, but I think the plastic breaks down with heat, and I'd rather not ingest that.

Didn't see anyone mention in this thread about Thermos cooking for things like dried beans, rice, and some longer-to-cook pastas like orzo. Was thinking it would be handy to do this on days especially days where we'd be driving when you could heat the water along with your morning coffee/tea, add to the thermos and eat it later in day. This is what I was planning on using when hitting the road but surprised it's not being talked about at all. 

Did anyone ever try this?

I remember seeing one where the food was heated for 5mins or so and then sealed in a thermos thing and then put into a really puffy bag and set aside. It is supposed to keep things at over 160 for several hours to slow cook it. I am having a hard time excepting that it is safe for all foods. Sorry to many years with food handlers tests. It is something I am interested in though. There are foods that REALLY need to stay above 160 at all times when cooking and others where it is not as important, as long as they aren't to low under that. I just don't want to deal with food poisoning.
Now that said, I have thought about the thermos idea, and would like to hear from someone who has used it. The one I saw (sorry I don't know what it is called) looked big and I want something smaller.
I have thought about trying to make one with a REALLY good thermos and a homemade puffy bag. But I will be trying to take temp readings before the first time I try to cook anything.
Maybe I can make a heat source type thing to also put into the bag. And I'm sure it will be best if not in supper cold area.

For driving days, a 12V crock pot or roadpro lunch pail cooker might be a better choice.

vanbrat said:
I have thought about the thermos idea, and would like to hear from someone who has used it...

But I will be trying to take temp readings...
I have tried thermos cooking, with some success, but it was ages ago.  A good, small wide-mouthed Thermos is what I used.  "Overnight" oatmeal is easy and a nice way to start a chilly morning.  My dried beans came out pretty good, but you need to withhold salt until they are done.  Some people finish them up stove top, which was too much trouble for me.  It does conserve fuel though.  Same goes for brown rice.  You've inspired me to go another round with this.

As I recall, this site was one of the better resources for tips:  https://theboatgalley.com/thermos-cooking/

(We carry a food thermometer and disposable gloves to help with food safety, too.)

B and C said:
For driving days, a 12V crock pot or roadpro lunch pail cooker might be a better choice.
I've done baked potatoes in a 2 qt. crock pot through an inverter this way.  (Not too much risk if they cool when stopped.)

The things I like about a pressure cooker in an insulated bag is:
 - Food is cooked in a sealed container; the bugs are killed in heating (~250ºF) so much less risk of food not kept at proper temperature
 - More thermal mass = stays hot longer (mine is 3 quart aluminum with ~ 1qt water)
 - No hassle to reheat ->just put back on stove.

I've done thermos cooking for things like oatmeal but it is hard to keep a thermos hot all day (not enough thermal mass).

Maybe I'll try some rice first with out meat. just lots of spices and veggies. I'll keep my eye out for a good thermos at the thrift store.... Then make a big fat wool and foam beads bag to hold it in for the day. Maybe a hot pad rice thing to keep the heat up longer? I'll try it out and let you know..... Thanks everyone.