sto and go or remove?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianTraveler

Reaction score
for those that have the sto and go seats is it better to sto them or remove them? i think the extra storage would be nice but hard to get to once start building storage/bed etc. thinking might remove in back but sto in front?

It seems to me that a lot would depend on how much space you need.  Myself I'd take out everthing except the 2 front seats.  It seems like a lot of people build simple frames so they can get to what's stored underneath.

I built side boards one time on my ranger truck right in the lumber yard lot.  I don't know about up there.  Here at Lowes and Home Depot they will cut your purchase for you.  Some lumber places have short pieces at reduced prices or free.  If you check bins around constrution sites you can find good small pieces.    Also cabinet shops for smaller pieces of wood free.  I think if you just tell folks you intend to travel in a mini van with 2 larger dogs and have a fixed income you may get a better deal. 

I find a lot of stuff right before the trash trucks run in front of homes.  If you build a platform and have a light weight sleeping matress or cushions you can cut the platform top piece into 2 or 3 pieces and then just raise that section and pull stuff from under it.  Also if you get 2 or 3 sturdy or medium size totes you could put a  piece of 1/2 plywood right on top and then your mattress.   Be sure  & secure stuff with bungees or even lightweight clothesline cord so it doesn't slide around.    In my van I'm keeping the slider door side un blocked with stuff down one side and across the back. 

Jewellann

Some are easy to remove. Others are spring assisted mechanisms that can take off a finger. Use your judgement and be careful.

Reinstall of the spring loaded models may be even trickier?

Don't the extra seats just take up room? Do they actually serve any purpose for you?

CanadianTraveler said:
for those that have the sto and go seats is it better to sto them or remove them? i think the extra storage would be nice but hard to get to once start building storage/bed etc. thinking might remove in back but sto in front?

Hi I have a minivan with stow and go seats and I'm having them taken out by a dealer or an auto body shop. I need the storage badly and I saw a you tube video where one storage area was used for all the solar devices including the batteries. I am right now organizing my "on the floor" storage and giving away what doesn't fit in a designated space. I still need room for a fridge and that's proving difficult any suggestions? Good luck and good travels Canadian Traveler!

wwilloww said:
Hi I have a minivan with stow and go seats and I'm having them taken out by a dealer or an auto body shop. I need the storage badly and I saw a you tube video where one storage area was used for all the solar devices including the batteries. I am right now organizing my "on the floor" storage and giving away what doesn't fit in a designated space. I still need room for a fridge and that's proving difficult any suggestions? Good luck and good travels Canadian Traveler!

Great idea! Am trying to locate the video that shows how to use the empty seat storage compartments for the electric and battery crap,err stuff.(super low teck type here.) :blush:

Genie said:
Great idea! Am trying to locate the video that shows how to use the empty seat storage compartments for the electric and battery crap,err stuff.(super low teck type here.) :blush:

Look up enigmatic fanatic ; Jamie did that video ...put the fridge where the front passenger seat was .

grandpa pete said:
Look up enigmatic fanatic ; Jamie did that video ...put the fridge where the front passenger seat was .

Thanks. I am for now leaving my passenger seat in and want to get a DOT approved swivel mechanism.  The video about the seats is an Enigmatic Nomadic one about Suzanne's build. In that video they put her bed across the width of the van and I just realized I'm short enough to do that too. So I am hoping I can get both my solar and my bed made at Jamie's build party in Nov.

Genie said:

Check out Enigmatic Nomadic for Suzanne's minivan video. It shows how they put in her solar, hid the wiring and how they used the storage area.

wwilloww said:
Thanks. I am for now leaving my passenger seat in and want to get a DOT approved swivel mechanism.  The video about the seats is an Enigmatic Nomadic one about Suzanne's build. In that video they put her bed across the width of the van and I just realized I'm short enough to do that too. So I am hoping I can get both my solar and my bed made at Jamie's build party in Nov.

OOPS it is Jacqueline's van build but I think there's one on Suzanne also LOL.

wwilloww said:

I have same idea, to turn passenger seat around so it can be used as my lounge chair.
 I am only 5'5 and dont see how to fit bed across width. Back to graph paper and measuring tape I guess.

Latest posts