Still Not Happy

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaleyAnn

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,  I came here because of the videos Bob has posted on YouTube.  I find his information, and the interviews he does with others quite informative.

I am a bit old to start thinking about just dropping things, and going full time, living in a small setup, and seeing the country.  But I have thought about doing it.  I am basically married to my house, and quite a bit in debt.  I am not poor, though by today's standards, I am not well off either.  I have my military pension, disability, and social security, so I am doing OK, but really not happy.

I have wanted to do more than just live here in 29Palms.  I have wanted to see our beautiful country before I go 10 toes up.  But being single, having a home, and just leaving it for months is not a smart thing, especially in our society, which has seemed to have deteriorated.  

I really have a lot of stuff, but stuff is not always what makes you happy, and I have seriously thought of just selling, or donating a lot of it.  Just selling my house would probably allow me to dump the incurred PITI, and at the same time, pay off my debts, allowing me to accumulate the cash I would need to get myself into some kind of RV type vehicle.  But for now I am converting a ultra tiny cargo trailer 4x6, which will basically serve me as a place to sleep.  I have a 10x10 tent that is designed to attach to a 10x10 canopy, and also have a shower. potty tent that goes with it all.  So I am set for just about any kind of camping.  

Right now I belong to a gold mining club, and my goal is just to get away for a week out of every four, and have fun searching for gold.  Maybe this will eventually lead me to dropping all the above financial weights, and just go out and have some fun for the rest of my life.  I really am tired of the rat race that seems to put money in the rich peoples pockets, but not mine.

Anyway, I will be giving my monthly camping trips a chance, using my old 2001 Honda CRV, towing that tiny camper trailer.  I think the experience will tell me if I am going to remain where I am, or move on to a less complex life.

Thanks Bob, for all that you have done for Everyone.  Many would not make it without people like yourself, and others who have helped out beginners.  Being ex-military, I probably am not a beginner.  I camped out more than I liked when I was serving.  Anyway, thanks for letting me join your Forum.  I will enjoy hearing about what others are doing.  CaleyAnn  So old I invented dirt

Hi CaleyAnn,

First you're definitely not 'older than dirt' because God created the stuff eons ago, long before he created this present  :)  beautiful... earthly planet.

Second, *thank you*  :)  sincerely for having served in the US-military to PROTECT us citizens where-ever & however. Every Service-member I meet I thank them because in the previous century they Rescued my family from savagery across the pond. And I am thankful...

Third YES Bob Wells is another astounding Humanitarian example of how to live: Loving, Caring, Sharing, & perpetually helping...
Really no words can suffice. What an additional :)  blessing.

Fourth, No matter in what "state" may be our address, Quite alot of us find ourselves in not so different circumstances actually because
we all need friendship...
Not sure how I can be of help to you, but I reach out my heart & hand in friendship to you CaleyAnn :heart: Annie

Welcome CaleyAnn to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

a fellow prospector. this lifestyle fits right in. what club do you belong to. there are many places in your area to get out and do a little digging. may your pans be golden. highdesertranger

I didn't invent dirt but when I was young dirt was still clean. Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum... It's so good to have you here.

Welcome to the forum and let me share with you a statement that gave me the courage to my life. Quite a while back Katherine Hepburn gave an interview in which she was asked about regrets in life. Her response was something along the lines of wishing she had stepped off the cliff and learned to fly instead of staying safely on land. Those were not her exact words but close and started me thinking about how I would look back upon my life one day. I had always played it safe with a well paying job, big house, etc and but inside knowing I was not living my intended life. In that moment I knew I did not want to be in the last few years of my life regretting I had learned to fly. Embrace the changes necessary to live your dreams to their fullest regardless of age. Many of us are a bit old here so you will have lots of company. I am glad to see you are starting your journey.

CaleyAnn said:
1) I am a bit old...
2) I am basically married to my house, and quite a bit in debt...
3) I have wanted to see our beautiful country...
1) I am 63 and just starting out on full time RV/SUV/Van/Tent living ...
2) Sold the house.  It closes next weekend.  The contents are being sold yesterday, today and tomorrow to pay off all of my debt.
3) Me too!
Best wishes, CaleyAnn.  I hope you find your trail, and I hope it's a doozie!  :D

Consider reducing / consolidating the Stuff filling the house,

set a goal of a getting cheap nomad rig "good enough" for full-timing

and renting the house out to someone that just wants 3-6 months, and is willing to give up the attic or a room to your free storage.

That way if the nomad life doesn't suit you, you can still return to familiar S&B comfort, minimal risk and disruption.

Or keep renting, monthly income boost going toward upgrading nomad setup.

Or after a few years of just loving van dwelling, maybe choose to cash out on the house, put it into a less stressful investment.

The key of course is finding a good tenant, and if you wander far, someone reliable to keep an eye and fix stuff, probably taking 10-20% of the rent.

But the above approach let's **you** stay in control, ease into the transition gradually, rather than many of us forced by circumstances to make the jump all at once.

Many thanks to All who responded to my introduction. Already I have a few suggestions that give me options. Years ago I traveled to Florida to meet the person I thought I might live the rest of my life with, only to find after four months that all he was interested in was my labouring to get his next investment ready for someone to rent, and to spend my retirement doing such. During that time I had rented my house, using an agent to do all the legal parts, and checking on the property. The agent did fine, but the tenant destroyed every piece of furniture in the house before they moved out. Unfortunately the Agent said sorry, normal wear and tear, apparently saying my furniture wasn't worth much. But...., if I should take that avenue again, Renting my property, I will not have one thing in the house they can steal or destroy. If anything should happen, it will be willful destruction, which their deposit will pay for. Enough of that.

I am still working on my ultra small sleeping trailer. The reason for such a small trailer is simply my little Honda CRV is only rated to tow 1000 pounds maximum. I am trying to keep the modifications down to a minimum, to not bring up the weight. I am a bit of a coward when I go camping. I prefer to have a few other campers around, but when gold prospecting, that doesn't always happen. So I will be more comfortable with hard walls, instead of a tent. My tent setup is simply for the daytime when relaxing or doing other simple things.

To those who have thanked the military for their service, I thank you in return. I spent 24 years, and now am the recipient of those now serving, and I am very thankful for our service people, and what they have sacrificed to keep me free to do what I wish to do. This includes, possibly doing what many of you are doing, slimming down my life into something easier, and less stressful. I will miss doing my community volunteer stuff, but then, maybe I will have opportunities on the road to help others. I have always tried to help others. It is just in my genes. I tend to take things too far sometimes, and that is part of the reason I have debt. I tend to think of others before myself.

Anyway, I am out today for a bit more work on the trailer. Have to install the ventilation fans and start the electrical. I sure look forward to getting this little trailer companion of my CRV done, so I can hit the road, and see a little of our country, and of course, to dig for gold. Gold mining is fun, but unless you get really lucky, don't expect to get rich. You might make enough to pay for a few days of food occasionally. :)

Caley Ann welcome. Never too old to begin a new adventure! Just ask yourself "what's the worst that could happen?" Check the gatherings section and head out to one. Meet some like minded folks. See how you like it. Dip your toes in the water. Hope to see more of your posts. The gold mining club sounds like fun. Terry

I learned a long time ago that things won't make you happy.  I find that I am most happy when I do things for others. 

I will admit, however, that I get pleasure from experiencing new things, and that's fairly inexpensive to do.

CaleyAnn said:
I am still working on my ultra small sleeping trailer.  The reason for such a small trailer is simply my little Honda CRV is only rated to tow 1000 pounds maximum.  I am trying to keep the modifications down to a minimum, to not bring up the weight.  I am a bit of a coward when I go camping.  I prefer to have a few other campers around, but when gold prospecting, that doesn't always happen.  So I will be more comfortable with hard walls, instead of a tent.  My tent setup is simply for the daytime when relaxing or doing other simple things.
A CR-V is large enough to convert into a mini-camper.  I spent a year camping in a Prius and a CR-V has much more space than a Prius.  There is an active blogger who is living out of a Honda Element (http://elementvanlife.com/) and an Element is roughly a similar size as a CR-V.  Also there is lot of stuff in Bob's site about living in a car conversion.

mpruet, I have a bit of difficulty sleeping in the CRV. The reason is my 6 foot tall frame. Yes, I am rather tall. That's the reason, I got this trailer. Based on my experience, I only need something about 67 inches long to sleep on. I tend to curl up a little when laying down. But, I should actually have about 69-70 inches once I install the Teardrop Camper door/wall at the rear of the trailer. Because this trailer does not have enough room between the support framework, that is the only place I can install the door. So, just imagine, I open the regular cargo trailer door in the rear, and then have to open the teardrop door just inside the cargo trailer door. I will lock the cargo trailer door so no one can lock me in.

I have enough room for the 25x70 inch bed. I will also have two fold down tables/shelves opposite the bed. I have storage under the bed, and I will have two small wall mounted cupboards up front on the front trailer bulkhead, along with my electrical control center. I plan on installing a small 12 volt TV and audio/radio step in that location also.

So, while small, this little trailer will have a lot of comfort. I am still trying to figure out how to both heat and cool the little thing, without those devices killing me. Heating really is not a problem, as I can just use my 12 volt heating , but how to cool me during the heat of the summer is a bit more difficult. I cannot install a Fan-tastic Fan because of the narrow space between the trailer support framework, so I will get a table top Fan-tastic Fan. I also have two intake fans and two exhaust fans in the side of the trailer to get air moving. But it seems no one makes a 1000 BTU air conditioner, which is about all the size I would need for 48 square feet.

Anyway, this is just an experiment, and I am having fun trying to figure out things like the electrical. I am getting help over on Tiny Trailers and Teardrops with the construction.

Oh, my goodness! Motrukdriver. I would never of thunk of this. :) Thanks so Much. Cooling is now solved, at lest for the heat of the daytime. My shelf Fan-tastic fan, and windows will have to do for night time whenever the noise rule applies.

Depending on where you are at, a swamp cooler will keep your rig comfortable too without all the electrical use of a compressor AC unit. And like Bob says, every 1000 feet in elevation reduces the temp by 3.5 degrees. So in the summer most folks just go to higher elevations to stay comfortable.

Yes, I do live in the high desert of southern California, and right now own a 750 sq ft house, I have spent the past 16 years fixing up from what was nearly a tear it down/eye sore type structure. It really looks nice now. So a swamp cooler works well here, and about anywhere her in the SW US. But a swamp cooler is a problem, as it needs a constant flow of water. It is easier to lug around a 2000 watt generator, and this doggie A/C unit, than carrying so much water, Water goes pretty quickly with these swamp coolers. And, if and when I can afford a new truck/suv, I will also get a larger Cargo trailer. All these electrical things can then be put in the new trailer. My dream is a 10x6 trailer, maybe a 12x6, but no bigger. Just do not need that much more room. Anyway, I will be experimenting with my little car and the tiny trailer to see how it works for me.

Hi CaleyAnn & welcome from another (WAC) vet (airborne!). I've had several set-ups thru the years (started 1995 in a skoolie). I believe you're gonna enjoy this tour - coz it's a breathtakingly beautiful country & you've EARNED it.
There's lots of opportunities to help out & volunteer wherever you go, all you need do is look around.
Hope to cya out there

Thanks so much Fanty.  Thank you for your service to our country. Hope you get a new ride soon, so you ad your little buddy can get out on the road exploring.  You were Army, WOW!!!  I did my stint in the Air Force, and for the first 11 years of my life I was a Marine.....Brat, almost the same thing as being a Marine, if you know what I mean when it comes to being the dependent of a Marine.  Probably much the same if you ever were an Army member dependent.

I made a little more progress on converting my little camping trailer.  Got the air circulation fans installed, and then actually work.  Also got the big box that will contain all the electrical in one location mounted.  Maybe I will have most of this done in a month so I can take my first trip.  Now, where is something interesting that is close to where I live?  Will have to research that.

Still been watching a lot of videos.  There is so much information out there on YouTube about the basics.  It has given me ideas on the little gadgets I will need to survive when there isn't anything around like showers or poop stoops.   :rolleyes:

CaleyAnn