Stealth Parking ??

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NO1UKNO

Reaction score
I have read a lot about Stealth Parking-

I am trying to figure out my sleep place rotation and I have seen Hotel parking lots recommended but I haven't noticed any Hotel names?? 
Are there any hotel chains that you have had success with? Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

I don't think motels would be a great place to stealth park. During my recent excursion to California I stayed at 3 motels and all had nighttime security. These were not expensive places either. Think Motel 6...Here at my apartment which is also a motel there is security that will run someone sleeping on the premises off.

Walmart parking lot, all night fitness centers or some other place where you won't attract attention. JMHO.

Rob

I've had both experiences with hotels.
Some take your plate # and somebody checks.
Others , not so much.
Lots of other places to go though.
Some already mentioned and crackerbarrel , lowes , local city parks , freecampsites.net..............

Lots of hotels give you a sign to put in your window when you park, and security that looks for cars that don't have them. Others don't. You can probably get away with parking in the ones that don't.

I overnight almost exclusively in Walmarts and Cracker Barrels.

Hotels in Columbus Tx you could probably get away with it, in SA, I'd have to scope the hotel first

In general, mid cost hotels (think Best Western, Holiday Inn Express, Comfort Inn, Super 8, Howard Johnsons) are often ok, though you must be sensible. Anything on the coasts is likely to have security or be more likely to check your plates. Anything in a downtown city location is also not a good place (destination cities).

Apartments that are not gated and have spots for visitors/guests can work. Don't park in a reserved for spot or a covered spot. Visitors are almost always in uncovered spots.

Strip malls often are too empty at night and you'd be noticed. A Fiat 500 (really??) could hide in a middle class neighborhood, try to avoid cul-de-sacs or streets without any other cars parked along them. Don't park right in front of peoples living room or eating area windows...

Just use common sense, which unfortunately isn't so common...

NO1UKNO said:
I have read a lot about Stealth Parking-

I am trying to figure out my sleep place rotation and I have seen Hotel parking lots recommended but I haven't noticed any Hotel names?? 
Are there any hotel chains that you have had success with? Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

I don't do it at hotels because they tend to have too much light.  The last time I Stealth Parked in a city was in San Antonio.  I just looked for a middle class neighborhood on the north side of town with a lot of cars parked in the street.

I'm in Iowa and none of the hotels or motels have security. But I still prefer a couple of the trucks nearby and a Walmart. I rotate between the two truck stops, the Walmart, and a couple different hotels throughout the week. I have seen police drive through the truck stops and the hotels a few times but they have never noticed me.

mdoverl said:
I'm in Iowa and none of the hotels or motels have security. But I still prefer a couple of the trucks nearby and a Walmart. I rotate between the two truck stops, the Walmart, and a couple different hotels throughout the week. I have seen police drive through the truck stops and the hotels a few times but they have never noticed me.

Or they did, but you were not causing any problems (as far as calls/complaints/etc.) so they're in "don't ask, don't tell" mode.