States that recognize mail forwarders

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
>>> "By 2020 (probably by 2018) all 50 states will require proof that you actually live where you claim to live. They will all allow you to use a mail forwarder for a mailing address , but none will let you use it for a physical residence."

So..... you rent space in a RV park for a month or so, and use that address to get a drivers license. Then you leave and go live on BLM land. The closer it gets to 2020, the more likely that they will close that little loophole.

>>> "I think as the need arises someone will start small business to let you use their physical address for a fee. sort of a paid "my cousin".

That is a good idea, but are the Feds going to go along with that?

Somewhere in these forums a poster suggested getting a passport. BUT if you can't get a DL w/o a true residence, how are you going to get a passport?

All this rot just to protect US from terrorists. Yeah, sure.

pamerica said:
Okay...I just called my Florida mail service after reading what you wrote.  You are on the right track here.  She said that last year the requirement did change...that in order to use the mailer address as your legal address, you must have an RV or Boat (vessel) registered in Florida.  

akrvbob said:
Or you can pay for a months rent at an RV park and that becomes your legal residence address.

Do these solutions allow for vans or will they only work for actual rvs?

kayell said:

Well, as for what I was told, it meant actual RV's, not vans.  That includes old Class B's like mine, which started its life as a van and then went to the RV people to make it into an RV.

kayell said:
Addition to my last post.  I did something and it posted before this next part....

What Bob said sounds right, too.   These are two different situations.

I am using the mail service and my RV as my legal address and my mailing address.

When you use the campground or RV park address for your van/car/truck, whatever, that campground or RV park becomes your legal address and the mail service is your mailing address.

Please, anyone, if I have explained this wrong, correct me.  Thanks.

trainchaser; If you pay me some fee. i will tell all that you are my second cousin and live in my house. All your mail will come to that street address. If a sheriff comes for you i will tell them you are on vacation in the Bahamas.

CCBreder: How about if the Feds show up looking for me, and they're all wearing those funny suits?

ccbreder said:
trainchaser; If you pay me some fee. i will tell all that you are my second cousin and live in my house. All your mail will come to that street address. If a sheriff comes for you i will tell them you are on vacation in the Bahamas.

A quick Google search shows that the US has an extradition treaty with the Bahamas, so you probably want to pick someplace else.  You don't think a Google search on "Can you be extradited from the Bahamas?" will attract any official attention, do you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_extradition_treaties

What ever. It would work as an address. I will charge you extra for trying to out-evil me. Every one else on this forum is free for the first decade.

akrvbob said:
Eventually ALL states will comply with REAL ID or they will have to explain why their drivers license won't allow them to get into the airport or onto an airplane.

Bob, the more I research this, the less certain I become that that is true.

I just recently read that NJ dropped their plans to comply with the RealID Act when the ACLU took them to court over it.

I 'm sure somewhere on site someone wrote about the "changes" being made about living in a vehicle being illegal.  It was legit, with arguments closing the end of April 2016.  I read it.  It was even trying to push to make the mobile homes (trailers) that were tied down to concrete fall under the ruling.  I suspect it is part of the preparation for the New World Order and TPP....  fortunately there was such a HUGE  (YUGE?) pushback, they came out with a statement that THAT wasn't really their intent (to make all of us have a permanent home where they could find us whenever they wanted to)...    nevertheless I don't trust them eh?

IDK even though both current candidates are like night and day in their beliefs,  the ID program might be pushed by both but for different reasons, same results?  Hmm I don't even have a passport....  but my dog is chippped.   Guess he'll have to wear a tin hat at times?   :D

I'll have a FL address for quite a bit.   As I mentioned somewhere else, right now my Van will be insured as a Commercial Vehicle but for personal use... the "commercial vehicle" part is actually dropped off the contract in this case which is nice. AS soon as it is converted (and I'm praying for it, believe me!) then I have to obtain different insurance as it will be an RV but not insurable through regular companies because it wasn't manufactured that way but done after market.  THEN I will be able, if the rules stay the same, to have that FL RV address?

I'm a bit wordy here (can you tell I live by myself?) ... in the process of downsizing I've notified all the charities and businesses that have been sending me mail.  Already in just 3 weeks the amount of mail has dropped in half.  I already have a PO Box that I've used for years, it's just at renewal you have to have a physical address (Patriot Act).  Maybe, depending upon who is elected, that will go away too?

I'm of the understanding that just using TOR will get you noticed by "them",,, good grief Charlie Brown!

Tor is a sort of next generation VPN that makes it extremely difficult to monitor your network traffic to figure out what you're up to.

It's a whole big interesting topic, but it doesn't really have anything to do with the mechanics of obtaining an id when you don't have a stable address.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Bob, the more I research this, the less certain I become that that is true.

I just recently read that NJ dropped their plans to comply with the RealID Act when the ACLU took them to court over it.

The Department of Homeland Security has granted NJ an extension until October 10, 2017. There are differing ranges of compliance. Some states are compliant, some have extension to Jan. 30, 2017. Some to June 30, 2017. Others to October 2017. Get your foil hats because here is the official site;;
https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-enforcement-brief

Just a thought...

There is an estimated 250,000 to 2 million or so people living full time in RVs. How do you stop them? These people lived in society, worked all their life, followed the law, paid their dues. Now, they want to live in an rv full time, travel and enjoy life. How do you stop them? Is the government going to go around knocking on rvs saying, "You don't live in a house? Off to the FEMA concentration camp for you!"

Guess we'll find out if and how come January 2017.