State Fair

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OutdoorFT

Reaction score
I hate crowds and I always hated going. But my mom gave me free tickets and went on my only day off. It was okay but due to massive increase on prices and sheer ignorance of people, I will never go back. Maybe small town carnivals but not this massive money pit.

I wanted to go mainly for another wood sign (have one with last name location and fire with marshmellows)...i got their website so I can order from and not wait allday for it. 

All in all was nice to get out when it wasnt too hot (72) and nice breeze. Havent done much this summer so was nice to get out of the apt. Anyway...that was my day.

Which state? I've only attended one state fair and that was in Wisconsin many years ago. Probably gained 10lbs. that weekend.

New York. I used to live half mile from it and traffic to get home was awful. I still only live 4 miles away but no fair traffic.

I haven't been to a state or county fair in a few years mainly because of the cost. also the ones around here have lost their agriculture roots that is the main reason I would go, not for the rides. highdesertranger

http://stores.trapperjackscarvedwoodsigns.com

this is the guy I got my sign from...deciding on a second one. they have popup motorhone and 5th wheel options. even had a group ofntree and campers at the one I saw in person. Does good work. Just in case anyone needs a sign of their name :D

I live very close to The Big E (all all New England states fair). I love it just because it is one of the few things that is a constant. Apart from a large order of freshly cut fries, I don't spend much more than the admission (15 bucks). I like the cattle and horse events, free shows (this year there will be some old time bands like Ten Years After) and some interesting things like a museum quality reproduction of the Sistine chapel and an eight camel wagon team. Watching all the tool and cookware demonstrators, and of course, people watching. Not high brow entertainment but a good way to spend the day. Just 3 weeks away - can't wait.

We did stand and watch the horses for a little while. Beautiful animals. Like I said I havent gotten out much this summer so it was nice but was ready to go shortly after.

I can post a picture of my sign if you want. Im not shy about my last name or location. its a rather common one.

Every year I say I'm going to the county fair, but nearly every year I don't.
I do wish they wouldn't schedule ALL the youth livestock shows for during the workday.  I'd much rather see the horse and cattle judging than yet another demolition derby, but that's what we get in the evenings.
Yet another reason I look forward to leaving the 9-5 behind - so much cool stuff happens when I'm stuck in the office :(

I went to the Puyallup Fair once, (try and pronounce THAT), and it had a few animals and craft things, and tons of corporate sponsors and pushy salesmen trying to sell everything under the sun. That was in the mid 90s even.

The fair has gotten too corporate and it's less about agriculture, imho.

Have not been to a fair in years- when kids were young I would suffer through the midway, and actually enjoyed truck/tractor pulls, critter showing....and sausages n beer, but these days I prefer quieter and more frugal entertainment.

A couple years ago we took the grand daughters to the Indiana State Fair. We told them they had to wear hats. They showed up with Easter bonnets. No trouble keeping track of them.... Our favorite activity by far was watching the mule and donkey pulls. We had free tickets. We also saw my Grand daughter's first prize in the 4-H building. There were sssooooo many things to see and do. We stuck with the animals, 4-h and some historic stuff. Rides and food not something we wanted to do or see. I think a week end would be way too crowded - Mid week early morning was fine. It started getting crowded for me in the afternoon. But I think it's been at least 4 summers ago. Around here you can get free or reduced tickets during the week from the news paper if you know what day to look and go buy a stack of papers....

Latest posts