starting the learning curve

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TraveLyn

Reaction score
Hi Everyone;
New to forums bear with me. To introduce myself: I am a gal in my 60's wondering what next. Never thought to rv solo then found this site! What a encouraging and informative group. I am excited to figure out how to get on the road. The budget will be tight so decided to start with what I have:
a 1996 F250 PSD 4x4 manual long bed PU with 150K with a older high top canopy and older 17 tt. Had been planning on selling the pickup but it's in good shape. Would like to have solar rather than generator. Not afraid to tackle a project just don't know where to start. Could solar be put on the pickup or canopy? Lots of questions. Looking forward to being part of the group. BTW in Oregon at present. (Will add a pic of the PU when I figure out how.::D

Travelyn, welcome!!!!!

That is a great rig to start with! Is the TT in pretty good shape? I think you are going to be very happy with a small trailer! I assume it is the 7.3 liter diesel and 4 speed manual?

Yes, you can put solar on the cab or on the canopy. How big a panel will depend on if it is a supercab or regular cab. I'm guessing a 250 watt panel would go on a supercab and a 140 watt would go on a regular cab. Putting them on the pickup lets you park the trailer in the shade if you are going to boondock. That' a big plus! Also with a high canopy you can take shorter trips in the truck and leave the trailer behind and still have solar.

I'd have to know more about the canopy, but I'm sure solar can be mounted on it and it's probably big enough to hold a lot, all you should need.

We're glad you are here!
Bob

Welcome TraveLyn, come on in, the water's great ;?D
So what part of Oregon you from? Got relatives in the Portland area and our family lived there for a few years in the late '60's (started high school at Centennial High in fact ;?). Love the Northwest, and although I'm stuck in the Midwest for the moment, my dream is to head back west soon ;?D

Thank you for the welcome. It is the 7.3L with an extended cab, not sure the roof dimentions. That was my thoughts-to park the tt in the shade when possible, camp maybe in the pickup some and still be able to charge things. Still working on the best way to make the canopy part I would use for storage secure. I had sleeping platforms in the PU for my daughter and me but took everything out when I thought of the solar on it. The trailer looks good but I have only towed it once the day I got it. Got home had just parked it when the WDH fell apart. Working my guardian angel.

Welcome TraveLyn! You are in the right place, and it sounds like you've got a good head start on your travel plans!

Thank you anm.

Fearnoevil: I'm on the east side of Oregon near the Idaho border. Actually, a native Oregonian. You're right Oregon is a beautiful state. Come back!

Question to anyone who knows. Are solar panels on top of rigs noisy? If a solar panel wouldn't fit on the my pickup canopy what about a cantilevered ladder rack? Too heavy? Too noisy? Not sure how big a panel I would need still reading to figure that out. No doubt more questions down the road.

Thank you for all responding.

TraveLyn said:
Question to anyone who knows. Are solar panels on top of rigs noisy? If a solar panel wouldn't fit on the my pickup canopy what about a cantilevered ladder rack? Too heavy? Too noisy? Not sure how big a panel I would need still reading to figure that out. No doubt more questions down the road.
Solar panels are silent, unless you're talking about wind noise or rattling while driving. Many people attach solar panels to plywood sheets attached to a ladder rack, it seems to be the method of choice for many. The plywood has the added benefit of shading the van/truck/trailer making it cooler. Look for Bob's blogs on house electrical systems and solar panels, size does matter but it depends on your electrical consumption. You need to figure out how much power the system will need to provide and scale it accordingly.

TraveLyn, I image there could be some rattling as you drive, but some rubber grommets at all your connection points should take care of that, well that and making sure your rack is also held down tightly, same for a ladder, although I'm not sure what you mean by cantilevered rack (maybe pics would help ;?).

As for eastern Oregon, are you talking southeastern? My Mom lives in Emmet, Id, just a short drive from Ontario. Nice area too, but a little too hot and sage-brushy for me. ;) I think I'd like it a bit further north into the mountains and forests, although I think my favorite is southwestern Oregon, down by the Ashland, and the coast, ahh don't get me started, lol.

Reading like crazy to figure power needs mostly going by what others seem to use on their vans. I would like a van but none for sale around here, maybe down the road. A big diesel pickup wasn't my first choice takes 40 acres to turn it around but its here and I know what has been done to it and what hasn't.

Fearnoevil: A cantilevered lumber rack is the usual rack but side bars are set out and so it would fit over my pickup canopy. lots of pickups with racks here. I'm north of Ontario right next to sagebrush and minutes to the mtn. best of both. I know what you mean about the southern Oregon coast, my favorite place to be about 10+ hrs west from here.

Welcome.

If you're going to have solar panels and your house battery(s) in your truck, and you need to get power to a trailer some distance away, the wires you need will be one of your key components. 120v AC travels distances fairly easily. 12v DC not so much.

At a minimum, you're going to need wires the size of good jumper cables. If you're going to move a LOT of power, or move it over a distance greater than 10 or 15 feet, you'll need to find something similar to heavy welding cables. You'll want heavy Anderson Power Poles as your connectors.

Given the price of copper these days, don't be surprised if it runs into $$$.

Regards
John

Thank you, optimistic, I hadn't considered cost of copper. I don't have a concrete plan yet finding great ideas and help here. The trailer only has room for a very small panel on top so I started thinking about the pickup canopy like I have seen on top of vans. I think there might be room for one 250 watt panel, two batteries in the pickup bed then connect to the batteries on the tongue of the trailer. An extention cord maybe that would let me turn the pickup different ways to get the panel the most sun, (tilting maybe?) From the batteries next to cab to trailer batteries about 12', 15' extention cord for use sometimes? Do not have any specifics, brands,types, controllers etc. no solar sources here, nearest 200 miles or more away. Just now learning what the names mean!

Travelyn, no problem mounting the panels on the truck! I had the cantilevered ladder rack in mind but couldn't think of an easy way to describe it, but you already have it in mind. If your canopy is tall it may have to fabricated from scratch, but chances are any decent welder could take a plain truck ladder rack and add the brackets to extend it out and then add an extension for height. I don't think it would cost much.

Unless you are a heavy power user I think a single 250-300 watt panel on the cab is all you could possibly need and a super cab should handle that. A simple bolt on and caulk.

There should NEVER be any rattling!! You want things to be SOLID! But if it is elevated much like on a ladder rack there could be some wind howl. That's normal and no big deal

Running extension cords is NO BIG DEAL! You buy a a regular 15 gauge 110 heavy duty extension cord and cut the ends off. Put Anderson connectors on both ends of it and connect one end to the battery bank in the truck and the other to a fuse block in the trailer. If you are running to much power or one cord, just add a second cord and fuse block. Put the inverter in the truck and just run 110 extension cords to the trailer for 110.

No big deal!
Bob

Thank you, Bob;
I don't have any idea how to post a pic of the P/U but the cab of the pickup is about 60" w and 50"L. The canopy is an old Stockland about 32" high I have 48" of inside height from the plywood I put in the bed to the top. There is a front sliding window that matches the pickup back sliding window. I'm unsure of which would be more secure/safe solar on cab? or on canopy or ladder rack? I had thought of the ladder rack because around here no one could figure out how to mount it to the canopy. Said it would break loose. I liked the idea of the lumber rack and what it could carry besides solar but it would add additional height to the rig, the canopy is already 6-7" above cab height.
Which would be better? I have 2-3 months to work while I build storage in the pickup and battery box, collect solar parts etc. Hoping to NOT spend the winter in the snow this year.
I appreciate the welcomes and the ideas as I work toward full-time travel.

The width is a little bit of a problem. I found a 220 watt panel that is 59 by 39 so it will fit okay. You can mount it right on the cab. Most people find that to be plenty of power. I have 195 on my trailer and I get by fine on it including running my 12 volt fridge. If you need more then you will have to go onto the roof of the canopy.
Bob

Latest posts