Starting our electrical install...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sternwake, Yeah, I wondered if you would catch that! Ha Ha!!!
Sorry, after I posted I went to bed, again. I find I'm doing that more often these days!
Crazy right?

Thank you for all the good advice and sharing!!!

The garage charger, a schumaker I think, is one I've had for many years, and it is I think it's 12 amp maybe.
It literally has two speeds, turtle and rabbit, and three lights. The green light, which I have never actually seen before
finally came on after the 15 hours. WOW! The volts read across the terminals of the battery was the 6.74.

I will go check them...

I have an older Schumacher garage charger, but it has not been used for at least 12 years. 2 amps and 12 amp settings, not automatic. Not sure what it can actually do now that I have the tools for observing its output but I would not be surprised to learn it is as big a POS as I envision it to be..

A neighbor has a 2/10 amp schumacher in the same metal case and the 2 amp setting is more like .6 amps and the 10 amp setting is lucky to exceed 4.5 amps.

I have so far resisted the temptation to swing it around by its power cord into something immovable whenever I see it attached to a battery.

I have a schumacher 'intellicharger' I do not trust to use on any battery that i care about.

But it can deliver just over 25 amps. the display has now completely failed, and I need to watch my wattmeter to see what it is doing, after pressing the one button 3 times for the AGM setting which I prefer on flooded batteries, and the other button once for 2 amps twice for 12 amps and thrice for 25 amps.

I Most certainly Do not recommend Schumacher smart or their Manual chargers. Most will go well over 16 volts at their full output on the flooded/ normal battery settings. AGM settings seem to keep voltage below 15, but the high amp setting on a battery more than 805 charged can exceed it, but hopefully only briefly.

Some of their older transformer based manual chargers are desirable for their ability to eventually equalize a battery, but still this is not great for a vandweller regularly deeply cycling.

Garage chargers do not make great chargers for batteries regularly deeply cycled and batteries still attached to one house Fuse panel. They are best when rarely applied to the Vehicle battery unintentionally discharged.

I urge everybody with a charger to actually monitor voltage throughouyt the charge cycle, And preferably Amperage too. Exceeding 14.8v at more than 5% of the capacity of the battery is unnecessarily abusive to the battery. 14.8v should be held until amps taper to 2%, and then if an EQ charge is needed, no more than 55 ap[plied until voltage gets to as high as 16.2.

Shooting right to 16.4v, as many 'smart' schumachers do, is not good, but if only done very sporadically to an engine battery removed from vehicle once or twice over 5 years lifespan, is likely acceptable..