Starting my tool collection-what r your recommendations

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At least some public libraries have a subscription to online shop manuals. The Dodge ones are very detailed. -- Spiff

I share a house with someone who volunteers for Habitat for Humanity; he's always out to yard sales and estate sales to find good things for the thrift store they have; he buys things to donate to the store and he also looks for things for himself while he's at it. Estate sales have given him his biggest finds for quality tools... American made. You have to go early though because good tools are in demand. But they're out there. If you've got the time, and a list of what is good to have, it could be fun to shop estate sales and see what you can find.

that's what I was trying to say sweetmarie. if you are trying to sell harbor freight tools you are not going to get much interest. but say you have snap on tools for sale and they will line up. highdesertranger

I've no wish to offend anyone here, but I frankly don't understand why people keep recommending Harbor Freight.

Cheap crap breaks easily. If you are trying to loosen a badly rusted bolt or nut, the cheap crap is far more likely to break than a good tool. If you are really straining against the tool when it snaps, you could potentially hurt yourself.

Also, cheap crap is far more likely to round off a bolt head or nut, making it hard, if not impossible, to remove it even with a good, properly fitting wrench later.

If money us tight, do yourself a favor. Skip the cheap crap and buy good USED tools instead.

Regards
John

Almost There said:
As a woman who has travelled alone extensively for decades, the most important tool I ever owned was knowledge.

Most repairs are beyond my physical abilities but the ability to understand what was going wrong, why and what it would take to fix it served me better than anything else.

Yes, when I owned a 35' RV I did my own oil changes. I was disgusted to find that while it was the same engine in the RV as in a Ford P/U, used the same filter and quarts of oil, it would cost me 3 to 4 times the price simply because it was in an RV. Heck I could even almost sit up under there, it was a whole lot easier than getting under the van to do it.

That aside, knowing whether something was an emergency that required pulling over RIGHT NOW, could be driven carefully to the first town or could be dealt with at my destination provided me with more capability than any set of tools.

It also became of major importance when dealing with mechanics who were not above trying to take advantage of - (take your pick) - a female, a blonde, an out-of-towner, an old lady....sigh!

I have horror stories to tell of some of my encounters.

Rather than trying to accumulate a whole bunch of tools, I'd accumulate knowledge.

So true!

LeeRevell said:
For any 1996 and later vehicle, I find that the less-expensive computer code reader is indispensable. It has saved me a lot of money in NOT needing to take the vehicle to a mechanic to diagnose simple problems I can fix. I keep it in the center console of my Grand Caravan for easy and quick use. Any store selling auto supplies/parts will have it.

Great advice! They are indespensable when your ride throws a code. Buddy of mine has one that plugs into his xterra full time and tells him everything from fuel mileage, miles to MT tank, why the check engine light just came on. Think he paid like 120 bucks for it.

I like to buy tools in sets that it saves a lot of money that way. And these days I buy quality tools rather than cheap because I have broken a few cheap tools. If you are on the road or in a remote location a broken wrench can be a disaster because you can't replace it. Taking courses on maintenance and repair is good even if you don't do the work your self you will know what is going on with your vehicle. I have taken course through Penn Foster and has been worth every $ spent on the course.

gsfish said:
Just FYI. I have a 2000 Dakota and can read the codes by cycling the key three times. The codes then show on the odometer. Pretty handy. The Caravan might have the same feature.
Guy

Nope, tried that early on and it doesn't work, and in any case it wouldn't give a quick text description as the Code Reader does.

Forgot to say that you need the repair manual for your vehicle even if you don't do the work yourself. If someone helps you to fix your vehicle they will be able to use the manual to get the repairs done.

Thanks to everyone who posted their replies. I ended up buying this tool set:

gsfish said:
Here is a set at Lowe's that is half off for two more days. Just for an idea of what is available.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_338518-2232...L=?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

Thanks Guy.

Funny thing my mom was in the car when I went to Lowes to get the tools. She didn't want to come in as she was tired but was all excited when I brought out that big tool box. When I got home and opened it up to organize & make sure everything was there I heard her muttere something like "dang, not a tool I can use"

I have made a list of other things to get - biggest one is a van :p

GypsyChic

i hope those go on sale again when im not broke...i was at lowes staring longingly at them lol

Nice set of tools! Should be almost every thing in that set you will need. Just need oil pan and jug to put used oil in and filter wrench, the filter wrench you need will depend on what vehicle you get. There are different sizes and types of filter wrenches to fit onto and reach the oil filter.

Spirituallifetime said:
Nice set of tools! Should be almost every thing in that set you will need. Just need oil pan and jug to put used oil in and filter wrench, the filter wrench you need will depend on what vehicle you get. There are different sizes and types of filter wrenches to fit onto and reach the oil filter.
I do almost all my own work on my vehicles but not when it comes to oil changes. Most jiffylube/grease monkey places have rock bottom oil change and lube prices and I don't have any waste/slop oil to deal with.
Although if I ever get a stove that burns slop oil I will probably be changing my oil too.

Those quicky lube places sometimes use the cheapest filters. I see people bring in their own oil/filters, which is a good idea if you have a product preference.

not only the cheapest filters they can find, but the cheapest oil. highdesertranger