starting issues 1987 Dodge B250

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jonyjoe303 said:
no cranking but dashlights/gauges on, might mean a starter relay that is sticking. Also can be a starter that was going bad and finally failed. Sometimes if you bang on the starter with a tire iron it might loosen the solonoid so it cranks over. I went months doing that to start my car because sometimes it wouldnt crank over. 

Before replacing starter I would check to make sure the bolts holding the starter are on there tight. One time the starter wouldnt start I bought a new starter, when I went to replace it, I found the starter bolts loose I tightend it and that fixed it. 

I would check the starter relay first.

Yes jonyjoe303 thats possible. Its easy to mess with to determine if thats the issue. If theres a can of WD-40 laying around then spray down the electrical connections on battery, starter etc... WD-40 is an electrical conductive oil so it will make a connection via oil so you may not have to pull everything apart if it starts the van quickly. What year did Dodge stop using that wacky resistor mounted on the firewall that would cause this problem? Remember when we used to carry an extra one just in case? Maybe theres one in the MH. If i recall this year could be a lean burn engine. If so Im sure you will find Youtube vids on them cuz they were kinda notorious lol