Starter House Battery?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aroberts5283

Reaction score
Hey all, what is a good starter house battery? I say starter because I'm not experienced at taking care of one and so I don't want to throw  a ton of money into something I may end up killing due to inexperience. Granted I am wanting to get a 100ah battery since it's way more than I should need starting out. I currently have a Jackery Explorer 160 which is enough for my CPAP for 1 night and will become my backup/auxiliary power once I have my house battery.

I won't have any solar starting out so I'll have to wire it into my van in order to charge it and I'll most likely add a suitcase type solar panel I can put out later.

I recommend checking with a local battery recycling/reconditioning business. I have had great luck using reconditioned cell tower back up batteries. The last set of 2 batteries cost me $77.
Good luck!!

Do some research, if you wanna go lithium look into protections and features. Battleborn is the top of the line for those. It isnt recomended to charge a lithium with your engines alternator. The voltages dont match and can damage the battery.
For traditional agm, flooded ect. Need to remember that can only discharge them to 50% if charging it with your engine. You will wanna isolate it from the engine battery when the engine is off. If not can accidentally kill your engine battery leaving yourself stranded.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Latest posts