stalks and NOT celery!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QinReno said:
This doesn't work for everybody, but the "buddy system" is a big saving grace. Even if you like to camp alone, it's not a bad idea to camp somewhat nearby where others are located. 100 yards off gives both privacy and some security.

And as Spiff keeps saying .... get an air horn too.

I should also add that the women youtubers seem to be hassled all the time by trolls and some by stalkers, and they particularly seem to have a circle of friends they travel with.

Buddy system / circle of friends is a good idea. I like the idea of camping near others, but sometimes you will discover that you don't want to be with those campers, so staying mobile and flexible is helpful.

Being on a phone chain is another version of this for those "in the area".  To be on a phone chain, your responsibility is to pick up the phone when you are called if able, and then to call the next person on the chain.  If someone does not pick up, someone repeats the contact and/ or goes over to check.  This would presume that someone knows where to check, so not as useful for those travelling.    ~crofter

WanderingRose said:
I have a fiercely protective dog, with a big bark and even bigger teeth. :)

Yes it is good to travel with your best friend. You don't always know what the dog is alerting on, but it does give you a heads up to look around.  And different barks for squirrels versus an unknown person coming in to camp.  I always thought the dog food bill for my German Shepherd Dog was well worth the money.      ~crofter

That is so true, and I have watched her more than once face a wooded area, hackles up and barking fiercely.

Don’t know what she is smelling, but it’s not a squirrel or rabbit, something unusual to her.

She would die for me, that I know.

WanderingRose said:
That is so true, and I have watched her more than once face a wooded area, hackles up and barking fiercely.

I am spending time dog sitting a great dane.  They are so playful, but once they are barking it is all business. 

On the smaller end of the breeds, I have heard that the Lhsa Apso is also a fierce guard dog, but have not witnessed this myself.   ~crofter

Fines are much less than for a gun, that's for sure, and chances of being reported and/or charged with "brandishing" merely for someone seeing possession are very small by comparison.

Dingfelder said:
Fines are much less than for a gun, that's for sure, and chances of being reported and/or charged with "brandishing" merely for someone seeing possession are very small by comparison.

Not totally sure if your concern is about dogs or other types of defenses.  I had mentioned carrying pepper spray for cougars and bears here which is legal to do (Oregon).  You would only need to discharge the spray if being charged or attacked by the animal, or even by a person. It is against the law however to recklessly discharge the spray against another person.      ~crofter

http://mailtribune.com/news/since-you-asked/pepper-spray-is-ok-to-fend-off-human-or-bear-attacks

What I carry:

I'm saying a dog provides on average better deterence and far lower liability than a gun and is for the average person probably a better choice. Even if you have a gun, it can be a bad idea to let anyone know you have it -- it may even inspire people to try to rob or harm you if they know you've got one -- so guns have limited deterent ability until you're already in the thick of things. A dog, though, can deter without anyone being able to make a reasonable or simply legally supportable claim that they were threatened. A gun is "brandished," but a dog is just owned.

most don't have dogs that are of guard value. My little Papillion is useless LOL In fact I protect him all the time from death! now if you get the bigger types that got some gumption, sure :)
give me a gun vs a dog anytime I am in mortal danger, but I can also shoot. We are gun people here. Hubby is a hunter and I just shoot range with him and I know a bullet will stop someone way faster than a dog anytime unless you got one of those trained attack dogs that knows how to take down a human, and even with that, I'll take the gun.
Hey now, this is just how I roll, everyone can choose their form of protection however they want!!

Dogs are a different topic. Consider starting a new thread to discuss them

crofter said:
 . . . You would only need to discharge the spray if being charged or attacked by the animal, or even by a person . . .

Whatever you decide to use for personal protection, you need to practice with it; the more the better.

And with an aerosol deterrent (bear spray, pepper spray, et.al.) you need to practice in different wind conditions.  The last thing you want to do is incapacitate yourself.

That kind of worries me too. Spraying myself in the face with bear spray sounds almost like my natural destiny, if I were to get some.

I also worry about liability issues spraying a human with it. If using a spray, I would rather rely on something human-approved.

Spaceman Spiff said:
The last thing you want to do is incapacitate yourself.

That's why pepper/ bear spray would be a bad idea inside a vehicle if someone broke in. You would likely blind yourself along with the attacker. A bottle of ammonia (window cleaner) set on stream would be better, but you still might get some on ya.

^^ for that matter, have you ever gotten vinegar in your nose/eyes? Holy cr@p that burns like a &!tch and it's hard to breathe! I imagine that would be very effective on stream in an enclosed area.

~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

^^^^^^^
That's why I suggested window cleaner. No one can say having a bottle of window cleaner in a vehicle is unusual.

I have a trailer, so I can have pretty much anything in it, but point taken.

Dingfelder said:
I got a shortened baseball bat, myself.  Still hard to swing inside, but at least the chances of its use backfiring are minimal compared to most alternatives . . .

My advice is the same: get some training and practice.  A lot of martial arts schools have classes on cane and stick fighting.  It is easy for a street smart fighter to deflect a novice attack with a club, knife or other hand-to-hand weapon.  That is one reason why I prefer a weapon that strikes at a distance.

And if you have watched many nature programs; the attack happens very fast, the object being to disable you before you can mount a successful defense.  One reason I like traveling with a dog is that he is more aware of our surroundings than I am and learning his body language gives me an early warning of possible danger.  I've aborted more than one hike because the pup was uncomfortable.

OP is fortunate in that she recognized a possible dangerous situation during the 'stalking' phase.  When an attack happens your higher cognitive functions shut off (your brain reverts to 'fight or flight' mode).  You aren't thinking, reverting to muscle memory; which is why practice is so important.

Latest posts