Stabilizer for hitch-mount cargo carrier?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought a hitch-mount cargo carrier that just slides into the 2" hitch-receiver. It fits pretty darn loosely so I MacGyvered something to stabilize it using a square U-bolt with extra plates and an extra bolt. Here's a picture:
20181019_182317 (Small).jpg
(Yes, I plan to cut off the extra length, after I have settled on what I am doing. Though the carrier would drag before this did.)

It does help a lot. However, it is still not completely stable. Because the hitch-pin is not an exact fit in the holes (none of them are) it still allows some movement. I would like to stabilize that thing so that there is no movement at all. 

I have looked online and I see that most of the designs do exactly the same thing I am doing. 

Has anyone had any experience with any other designs that really work?

If worse comes to worse, I could pound a few nails flat and hammer them in there. But that would quickly become relatively permanent, and I would like to be able to remove the thing if necessary.

Attachments

• 20181019_182317 (Small).jpg
    20181019_182317 (Small).jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 14
I have the commercial version of this on my front mounted spare tire and it works great. The flat part on the commercial version has a lip that fits against the stinger/shank and uses bigger hardware. I crank mine down pretty hard with a 1/2 inch ratchet.

https://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufac...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=85PRS81JJ0G6Y3XVNGBC

I have a different version I use on the back with the hitch haul:

https://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufac...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=85PRS81JJ0G6Y3XVNGBC

Although mine came with two big washers too and I use the same ratchet but I think a different socket. It seems to work. I don't hear it back there at all even when I physically jostle it.

Spend a few more dollars and get the real deal and don't try to rig something.

You'l be happier in the end.

Caravan flip that over so you are working with gravity not against it. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
Caravan flip that over so you are working with gravity not against it.  highdesertranger

I tried it that way, at first, for obvious reasons. Oddly, it moved around more with it flipped around. With it this way, the plates seem to act as a bit of a leaf spring and reduces the slamming when it comes to the end of its movement. Also, this way lifts the rack just a tiny bit higher, for less possible dragging.

B and C said:
I have the commercial version of this on my front mounted spare tire and it works great.

I like that this is a bolt that you can just tighten down. I don't like that it doesn't have a lock. Yes, I could put a tiny padlock in place of that cotter pin, but those are easy to break off with a big screwdriver. Though, this does give me an idea...

B and C said:
Spend a few more dollars and get the real deal and don't try to rig something.

You'l be happier in the end.

I have been happily and quite successfully "rigging" things for almost 50 years. Most of the time, when I do choose to "rig" something, it works better than any commercial product I could have bought.

The one on the front of mine is mounted the same way. That lip on the flat part makes a big difference.

The second option I posted is less than $10.

B and C said:
The one on the front of mine is mounted the same way.  That lip on the flat part makes a big difference.

The second option I posted is less than $10.

Both of your links went to the same product. All I saw was the thing with the nut welded to it that you insert inside whatever you are putting into the receiver.

The commercially made hitch tighteners work great. You can still use a key-type locking pin with your hitch.

I use one with a hitch rack AND for when I'm pulling a trailer...they sure quiet things down back there.

B and C said:

Thanks. I've seen lighter duty versions of those. At first I didn't think they would work much different than what I've already got. But I can see how that extra lip will provide just enough force at enough distance from the pivot point to then lever the hitch in the receiver such that it "traps" the hitch pin.

Plus, if you say it absolutely works, I'll give it a shot. I'll order it as soon as I figure out where I want it delivered.

B and C said:

I ordered this and put it on a couple of months ago. Just wanted to let everyone know it works like a charm. The extra lip on the metal plate causes it to apply force in one more direction (for three directions, total) and it keeps everything in place. You do have to tighten it down super-DUPER tight. You will need a breaker bar or a "cheater" pipe to slip over your wrench. If you have a cheap wrench, you will probably break it. I also bought two stop-nuts (the kind with the nylon inserts to keep the nut from unscrewing on its own) and put them on. I put extra stop-nuts on almost everything.

+1 on anything with a threaded nut style hitch pin.
Threaded hitch pins are the best for stopping all rattles and stabilizing cargo racks in hitches.
Downside (upside?) is that it takes a bit more effort to remove pin.