Sshh secret - no medical insurance

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check out the link for the program he provided, it states never pay the provider at time of service, their thought is the provider won't negotiate further on the price if you've already payed them.

Where I'm at in california you'll never see the doctor as you won't get by the office manager during you're sign in process. First thing they want to know is "How are you paying us"... It also talks about larger negotiated discounts being paid quicker than other claims, although it lists average reimbursement at 4 months...

For many people this program just won't work and again there are no guarantees you'll be reimbursed for anything...

I think these are relatively small programs, this one for example listed 40,000 participants in the 29 states they were operating in during 2012.. It may have grown but certainly a limited participant base for sure...

My healthcare has been excellent since I got on Medicare at 65, along with an advantage plan that I pay ZERO for each month... what a blessing.

Social Security takes a little out of my check each month for Medicare, but I don't miss it, since I never see it anyway.

My RX costs me $4 a month total.

I'm so thankful...

With plan I’m with the first $500 is out of pocket anyway. When the costs get up to that and above is when the real negotiating begins. Plus whatever is owed is going to be billed as well. They may want it but they can’t expect a large bill to be paid up front and in full. One good thing about my plan is that if I can negotiate a deduction greater than $500 then the entire bill is reimbursed.

It may not be perfect, but it’s better than nothing if you ask me.

Travelmonkey said:
A couple of follow up questions, if you don't mind:  when you were refused service, did the doctor's office simply not want to provide a cash price or was there paperwork they didn't want to deal with?

Regarding the catastrophic insurance, it looks like it is $25/qtr plus $40/year, right?

When I called the first question was "Do you have private health insurance?"  I reply that I am self-employed and am self pay at the time of the visit but no private health insurer.  Their response is they do not accept new patients on medicare or who do not have insurance coverage, and they only accept medicaid patients under the age of 5.

When I have been seen for care, I tell them I am self-pay and ask for a cash discount equal to what insurance companies receive when they bill to insurance.  So far I've been granted 30- 65% discounts and even once got 30 days to pay.  Everyone knows the big scam in medical payments is that the insurance companies do NOT pay the stated cost for care, like Medicare they discount heavily when they pay someone.  Everyone without insurance should always ask for a discount, even if you can't pay immediately.

CHM does a great job at getting billings reduced substantially when negotiating with care providers, it's one of their main functions when you have expenses.  I have the GOLD and the Brothers' Keeper supplement, $150 a month, plus about $25 per quarter and annual $40 fee.  NOTE: the $500 deductible is PER INCIDENT, not annual like insurance.  So multiple unrelated medical needs trigger another deductible payment by you.

RVTravel, A Medicare Advantage plan is the way to go for me, but you will have to do research in your state to see what is available there.