Spring Forward!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spring forward?

Fat chance.   :dodgy:

According to the info that I found, there are only two states left that do not observe Daylight Savings Time -- Arizona and Hawaii. I can see Arizona rejecting it simply because the federal government wanted it. However, in both cases, I'd be interested to know why they don't follow it.

The article below is from National Geographic in 2015. Interesting info about the history, culture, and unusual results of DST.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...-spring-forward-united-states-science-nation/

Tom

I've never been so happy to see the clocks move forward again. The shorter days of winter really took a toll on me this year, can't ever remember them bothering me so much. Woke up to an inch of snow and 3 degree weather outside this morning. A forecasted 12+ inch storm Tuesday, followed by another 3 to 5" Wed. So it's not much feeling like spring in Maine just yet, but with a little luck it should be an entirely different story in another 2 to 3 weeks. I think i'll go hibernate a little bit longer.

ERLH: How does the time change affect the day length? There are still a certain number of minutes of daylight each day, and the DST can't change the weather.

But I feel the same as you about this time of year (almost every year). We're still getting snow in March (west coast). My supply of firewood is dwindling. I will certainly be glad to unload this millstone and hit the road!

It's snowing here in SD, too. SIGH! I'm ready to get outta here but some health issues are forcing me to have to wait. Nothing serious but enough to deter my plans a bit. I am still on track to leave to go to Yellowstone and I can't WAIT! 

VanGrrl57 :)

I can't stand Daylight Savings Time any longer. Too many things that need the time changed. Everybody is going to cheer the long evening tomorrow, but wait and see how long it takes for sunrise.

Let's have a Nature Standard Time and leave time alone.

I can after years of springing and falling, when we moved to AZ, I loved not having it change. I always though it was hard on one's immune system to upset it this way and noticed that illnesses tended to thrive during this time.

Vagabound said:
According to the info that I found, there are only two states left that do not observe Daylight Savings Time -- Arizona and Hawaii. I can see Arizona rejecting it simply because the federal government wanted it. However, in both cases, I'd be interested to know why they don't follow it.

The Wikipedia article on "Daylight Savings Time in the United States" has sections explaining both AZ and HI rationales:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time_in_the_United_States

I live about 75 miles NORTH of ERLH ! BUT he lives about 10 miles from the coast and I can almost spit in the ocean .
I only got a dusting of snow yesterday but probably will get nailed Tuesday and Wednesday .
Did I ever mention I wrote a song called "I Hate That Fuckin' Snow ! " It was a country song that sounded just like "Off To The Rodeo" (someday I might upload it to Ytube)
Yup , I used my popeye voice to sing it too....................

I don't set alarms anymore so changing the clocks really screw with my day.
(there are some uptah Maine that want to use Atlantic Daylight Savings Time so the tourists have more day to spend all their money!!! OH AYUH ) Skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh kuh

I don't like this daylight saving business, that was originally set up for farmers? There's actually another theory I've been told also, who knows?
If you want to take advantage of the longer summer days, set the alarm on your clocks, watches, computers, or whatever an hour earlier.
That's on you. don't drag the rest of us into it, and leave "my" watch alone. I know if I want to take advantage of it, I simply get up earlier. :p
BTW LeeRevell, thanks for the reminder. :)

Now we have sprung and there is an additional hour of sun.  That will, of course, make it hot.  :)   I have two questions.  One, how does the extra hour of sun make Florida so much more humid?  Two, why does Tucson get baked?  Arizonans don't have the extra hour of sun so they should be cool.  Is it hot air blowing in from California?

TrainChaser said:
ERLH:  How does the time change affect the day length?  There are still a certain number of minutes of daylight each day, and the DST can't change the weather.

But I feel the same as you about this time of year (almost every year).  We're still getting snow in March (west coast).  My supply of firewood is dwindling.  I will certainly be glad to unload this millstone and hit the road!

Easy, I don't get up early so I won't notice it being darker later into the morning, but will certainly notice it being lighter later into the evening.  So although the amount of daylight is the same, my mind is tricked into thinking it's longer.  And it's just another reminder that actual longer days and warmer weather are just around the corner.

Ballenxj said:
I don't like this daylight saving business, that was originally set up for farmers? ...

According to the National Geographic article that I posted in this thread, that is a myth. In fact, farmers are some of the strongest opponents of daylight savings time.

Tom

Bossy don't read clocks, she just knows she's ready to be milked, and WHY AIN'T SHE BEIN MILKED YET!
DST is an idea I hated even as a kid, I hate it even more now
At least my clocks reset themselves these days

Vagabound said:
According to the National Geographic article that I posted in this thread, that is a myth. In fact, farmers are some of the strongest opponents of daylight savings time.
I hang out with a couple farmers on a semi regular basis. If I can remember next time I see them I will ask their opinion.
PS, the other theory I mentioned, a semi reliable source told me that shop keepers lobbied for it to have an extra hour the folks could shop in their stores,  AKA, they make more money.

Vagabound said:

Haven't seen my farmer friends in about a week now with spring upon us, but I ran into another mutual friend of ours this morning, so I asked if he knew what they thought of it. He said they hate it.

I love it.It's amazing that we can make the day longer just by adjusting our clocks.Must be some kind of majic.

Bob Dickerson said:
I love it.It's amazing that we can make the day longer just by adjusting our clocks.Must be some kind of majic.

And Czechoslovakian majic at that!

Tom

Whether we spring ahead or fall back, we will always be stuck in the pointless loop of this debate.