Sportsman 800w on sale again

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm feeling pretty lucky that i saw this thread earlier, and didn't dawdle ;)
an early xmas present to myself, should be on my doorstep friday
thanks again for the heads up

Is it as quiet as the little Honda inverter gennies?

www.dealnews.com

All DealsHome & Garden Tools & Hardware

[size=small]
https://www.dealnews.com/mydealnews/register/
[/size]

[size=small]
[img=108x125]https://cdlnws.a.ssl.fastly.net/image/upload/f_auto,t_large,q_auto/content/hudnwtfbqdpjrndamwfx[/img]https://www.dealnews.com/Sportsman-800-W-Gas-Powered-Generator-for-149-free-shipping/2126141.html#
$149[size=small]free shipping

Shop Now
Sportsman 800W Gas Powered Generator
rating4.png

Last verified 5 hr 57 min ago
Ending today, Home Depot offers the Sportsman 800-watt Gasoline Powered Digital Inverter Generator for $149 with free shipping. That's tied with our mention from last December as the lowest price we've seen. (It's also the best deal we could find today by $146.) It features 800 running watts (1,000 peak watts), a six hour runtime at 50% load, and 0.55-gallon tank.[/size][/size]

John61CT said:
Is it as quiet as the little Honda inverter gennies?

Supposedly according to the decibel rating on the ad!

My question is who gets to decide the decibel rating and how accurate are they.

It should also be noted that the ad says, and I quote:

High altitude use: this generator is not recommended for high altitude use above 3,000 ft.

3,000 ft, isn't much. Heck we're at 3,000 ft in Cottonwood in March staying cool. Would be totally useless by the time you got to Flagstaff. Sorry, but even if it is as quiet as a Honda, it should be given a pass by any one who travels.

So how is it they ran out of stock, and then they had stock? Well, I'm not complaining, I just ordered one! We'll see if it actually arrives, or if they somehow screwed up and came up with some pseudo-inventory or something…

Apparently runs fine in Denver, Bozeman, another reported 4700ft NP

California CARB requirements likely are the reason for that caveat.

Carb not adjustable.

John61CT said:
Apparently runs fine in Denver, Bozeman, another reported 4700ft NP

California CARB requirements likely are the reason for that caveat.

Carb not adjustable.

I have used mine at 7,000 to 8,000 feet. At those high altitudes, while charging batteries, the refrigerator starting causes it to bog down momentarily but it doesn't die or interrupt the supply of AC.

I just picked up the 1,000 watt model for $149.00 at the Home Depot website.
Sale ends 11-13-2017 in about 5 hours.

Good backup for my Honda EU1000i.

Actually 650w continuous is more realistic.

One commenter tried with a half dozen 5k BTU aircon units, none of the electronically controlled ones worked, but this manual/analog one did

​Arctic Wind Model # AW5005M

And many people comment very quiet, some say as or less than Honda eu2, can hold a normal conversation next to it.

One guy built a quiet-box for it and it was more quiet than the washing machine he was feeding with it.

Earthquake and Porta-Source same unit, likely Homegear as well.

Engine is Xingyue xy139f-6, looks just under 1HP

Very curious to find the biggest amp 12V charger or power supply it will run, could be good for giving the solar a boost on cloudy days, or all you need for an LFP bank.

I'm thinking a 40A unit with de-rating ability, likely max 30-35A @ 14.4V

For LFP (13.8A) maybe the full 40A.

Not much for a big bank, but with say a 100A pack, be a nice portable little rig, under 2 hours to refill even if well depleted, just 30 min for a top-up.

HD has another cheapie generator on sale now - the Sportsman is still out of stock but when I looked at comparable generators, this came up:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Power-P...ne-Powered-Portable-Generator-56101/205151118

[font=opensans-regular,]Power Pro Technology
[font=opensans-light,]1,000-Watt 2-Stroke Gasoline Powered Portable Generator[/font]
[font=opensans-regular,]
[img=84x14]https://homedepot.ugc.bazaarvoice.com/1999aa/4_0/5/ratingLarge.png[/img]
(52)

Write a Review[/font]

[font=opensans-regular,]Questions & Answers (62)[/font][/font]
  • Compact, lightweight design with handle for easy portability
  • Perfect for camping, tailgating or as backup power supply at home
  • EPA/CARB compliant and safe for use in national parks
[font=opensans-regular,]
[size=xx-large]$121.06 [/size]/each[/font]

an online HD review from October 10 said:

"This little guy will power lights a large fan and my refrigerator after a hurricane knocks the power out. Also my CPAP machine.. At night running the refrigerator and cpap - < 300 watts average, it would last 8 hours on a tank of gas - 1 gallon.. If you not going to have to run AC or a well pump, you really dont need a 5kw or more generator which costs more in both up front cost as well as gasoline. This runs quieter than the larger units as well."

Unfortunately not as good as an inverter generator in my opinion... apples to oranges for some...

Jmel said:
Unfortunately not as good as an inverter generator in my opinion... apples to oranges for some...

good catch, it's just a cheapie generator, though for many, thats all they need. From what I have read the inverter gennies do this:

http://www.yamahaef2000is.com/conventional_generator_vs_inverter_generator.html

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Quality of Power Produced[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]A conventional generator is nothing more than an engine connected to an alternator and run at a speed that produces the desired AC frequency, regardless of the load on it (as the load increases the engine throttles up to keep the engine speed the same). The output of the alternator is connected directly to the load, without any processing.[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] [/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]With an inverter generator, the engine is connected to an efficient alternator, which produces AC electricity, just like a conventional generator. But then a rectifier is used to convert the AC power to DC and capacitors are used to smooth it out to a certain degree. The DC power is then “inverted” back into clean AC power of the desired frequency and voltage (e.g., 110-120VAC @ 60Hz). Regulation is very good and this system produces consistent power characteristics independent of the engine speed. The result is much “cleaner” power (“pure sine waves”) than is possible with a conventional generator, essentially the same quality of electricity that you typically get from your electric company. Why is this important? Well, more and more products today use some form of microprocessor. Not just your computer, but also your phones, TVs, game consoles, printers, DVD players, and even kitchen appliances and power tools. And all these microprocessors are very sensitive to the quality of the electricity they use. Using power that isn't "clean" can make these devices malfunction, or even damage them. So any application that uses sensitive electronics – and that includes a lot more things than you might think – will likely benefit substantially from the cleaner power provided by an inverter generator."[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]End of quote[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] [/font]

Lots noisier, no good for devices needing sine wave, have to mix oil.

Maybe start a new "on sale" thread:

Small 2-cycle non-inverter generators