special needs pets

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sl1966

Reaction score
I don't have one at this time. My girl is in perfect health and right now all she needs is fun, food, fun, water, fun, sleep, fun. However by the time I get out there my girl will officially be a senior citizen (8 years old) and the day will eventually come where she'll require some extra care.&nbsp;<br /><br />Are any of you traveling with pets who require any kind of special care?<br /><br />What is it you have to do and/or workarounds have you worked out to make life more comfortable for them?<br /><br />

Stumpy's speshul, but not special needs. I get her vacc's at Banfield/Petsmart, so her records are available no matter where I go. I've found the vets there to be young, a lot of them right out of school but REALLY concerned and with a huge network to help them if needed.&nbsp;<br /><br />When I was traveling with my aged GSD, he had a very comfortable support bed and I rigged a cover that wouldn't get displaced to keep him warm, when it was cool.<br /><br />Trader Joe's carries an inexpensive glucosamine/chondroitin for dogs. It makes all the difference for Stumpy's luxating patella and I am sure it helped to keep my GSD in good shape for 16 years. he was a working dog and active until the end.<br /><br /><br />&nbsp;

G<a style="color: #000000; text-decoration: none; white-space: nowrap;" href="/profile/1926254">ypsydreamer</a>&nbsp;and Cyndi such good good advice for older dogs or any dog/pet that a few issues.<br />I just wanted to point out that when dogs/people age they can get confused easily and wander off. So as gypsy does its a good idea never to let them off&nbsp;their&nbsp;leash. My 1st dog had the confusion problem. I would be standing next to her or right in front of her and all of sudden she would&nbsp;panic&nbsp;looking for me. She can see me but the brain&nbsp;didn't&nbsp;get it that I was right there. You hear about a lot of&nbsp;senior&nbsp;dogs wandering away because of this. Hold on to your&nbsp;babies! <br />Also with my 1st dog who went almost deaf. A story really. Being Hard of hearing I sometimes where a body aid hearing aid. I keep them even though I&nbsp;don't&nbsp;use them alot now. I took my old one that I had bought a ear&nbsp;piece&nbsp;for my doggie and one day turned it on for her. OMG she heard me. I&nbsp;said&nbsp;hey baby you know in that high pitched voice we love to talk to them in. Her eyes just lit up!!! Every day until she died I would talk to her a few times a days ..she always look&nbsp;forward&nbsp;to that! RIP my sweet Wendy.

sl1966 said:
I don't have one at this time. My girl is in perfect health and right now all she needs is fun, food, fun, water, fun, sleep, fun. However by the time I get out there my girl will officially be a senior citizen (8 years old) and the day will eventually come where she'll require some extra care.&nbsp;<br /><br />Are any of you traveling with pets who require any kind of special care?<br /><br />What is it you have to do and/or workarounds have you worked out to make life more comfortable for them?<br /><br />
<br /><br />I've got two 15 year old cats live with me, and a nine year old thinks she's a lot younger.&nbsp; The overhead above the cab's to be their home when the RV's moving.&nbsp; The special needs of all of them is for me to stay alive until they die, mainly.&nbsp; The rest they can take care of for themselves, provided I furnish the food, water, and something to stare at.

LOL@ "and something to stare at". You are fortunate to be owned by such laid back, undemanding cats. For anyone who needs SPECIAL PET DIETS like Avo or Innova, but you can't find a seller where you travel - http://www.petfood.com - decent prices and fast shipping.

For the first time I've seriously been considering finding a new home for my two cats before I hit the road in my van. My male cat can't eat anything without having digestive problems, basically. I've had him on all the more expensive 'better' dry foods without grains and whatnot and I generally think it helps but lately it seems the problem is getting worse and I don't know if I can deal with all the hair AND poop in such a small space. I've really been putting a lot of thought into this lately and it's kind of been stressing me out. Even if I decided to get rid of them because of this I have no clue how to even do that.

drivebyandy:&nbsp; Tough problem and one that lurks in the background for all of us who have contracts with animalcules.&nbsp; I usually try to deal with animals I have contracts with who don't fit into life anymore, or whom I can't figure out a way to fit into mine, the way I hope someone would deal with me if the situation were reversed.

If you decide to find a new home:<br />&nbsp;Call your local animal control. Ask them for the names of some local, private shelters and placement people. Call all the numbers you get, explain to them that you need to be traveling extensively and cannot take them, but that you need them to have a good, safe home.<br />Tell them about your cats, what they need, how much attention, how much maintenance, if they like to play or are independent, whether they're good with other pets, dogs, kids...tell them everything you can think of.<br />There are a lot of good people out here who go above and beyond to help any animal who needs it.

I'm not on the road for a few months yet, but I'll be going out with my 12 year old retriever, Moochie. &nbsp;She's a sweetie, but is stiff and has a hard time climbing up into anything, so I'll have to make some kind of step or ramp for her to get into the van. &nbsp;She's so totally worth it, tho. &nbsp;The terrible twins aren't special needs, but I am, and they take care of me! &nbsp;LOL!!<br /><br /><br />

drivebyandy said:
My male cat can't eat anything without having digestive problems, basically. I've had him on all the more expensive 'better' dry foods without grains and ...&nbsp;
<br><br>Try getting him off dry foods. They're the worst thing cats can be fed. See www.catinfo.org a site by a Lic veterinarian. She explains why obligate carnivores should not be fed "kibble."&nbsp; <br><br>
I've really been putting a lot of thought into this lately and it's kind of been stressing me out. Even if I decided to get rid of them because of this I have no clue how to even do that.
<br><br>It's very hard to find homes for adult cats. Take them with you.

RV-Kitty said:
drivebyandy said:
My male cat can't eat anything without having digestive problems, basically. I've had him on all the more expensive 'better' dry foods without grains and ...&nbsp;
<br><br>Try getting him off dry foods. They're the worst thing cats can be fed. See www.catinfo.org a site by a Lic veterinarian. She explains why obligate carnivores should not be fed "kibble."&nbsp; <br><br>
I've really been putting a lot of thought into this lately and it's kind of been stressing me out. Even if I decided to get rid of them because of this I have no clue how to even do that.
<br><br>It's very hard to find homes for adult cats. Take them with you.

DrivebyAndy, To be totally honest I don't think the cats would end up in a good situation. The shelters are overflowing, same as the rescues.
Maybe you can have a groomer shave them. The cats may not like it, but it would be better for them and you. Less hair, and it is not cruel to the cats.
With respect for RV Kitty, I would not put them on another diet while you are on the road. If you are going to change it, do it now. That way your cat will already be used to it.

To be honest, it sounds like you want freedom from the responsibility. I know the feeling. I have three cats, and two dogs. I can't just get up and go without making arrangements. Having said that, I do love them, and would not give them up. (that is not a judgement on you). Only you can decide what is best for all of you. If you are going to resent them, they will feel it. Good luck whatever you decide.