Spacers on dually tires?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
highdesertranger said:
yes Gary only the tire shop will have dozen of different configurations not just a few.

Tom remember you just need the valve stems they shouldn't gouge you for those.  highdesertranger

Two things:

1)  Maybe just confirming ... based on the way those metal stems are designed, is there anything about them that would prevent them from seating / sealing on a rim, if that rim is otherwise capable of taking a rubber stem?  I remember some mumbling at a tire stop of metal on metal allowing no flexibility for a good seal or something.

2)  Want to make sure I understand.  Do hub-centric spacers essentially recreate the hub shape so that the outer rim will seat properly on the spacer, as it would on a hub, vs. putting all of the burden on the lugs?

Tom

Tom,
!. no if you notice there is a rubber seal on the inside and outside of the metal stem. I have never even seen a rim that won't take a metal stem.

2. yes a hub centric spacer recreates the center ring the rim centers itself on.

highdesertranger

The truck camper crowd are known to run spacers on duals when running on the beach. The lower tire pressures required can make the tires rub.

There's no written rule that says you have to air down BOTH tires, start with the outside tires should you need to increase traction.

Rocks stuck between the duals is a real possibility. The secret is to not drive mile after mile with it stuck there. Stop, get out and do a visual check from time to time.

The problem I have with duals offroad is that they load up with muck and mud.

20120529_2591.jpg
[/URL][/img]

[video=youtube]

This is just a personal feeling, but no way I'm using a cantilever system like that. I want the lift directly over the piston. I'll stick with separate Jack stands.

another note on that jack stand/jack combo. a friend of mine bought one for his motorhome. when he got a flat and tried to use it he couldn't get it under his axle because the jack stand was to tall. highdesertranger

Sorry to interrupt any jack conversation with my dually tire spacer conversation ;-)

All of the information that's been given in this thread so far was very useful in helping me think through this problem. My conclusion was to avoid spacers at all costs, figuratively and literally. Doing that right would have still been a Band-Aid, and it would have cost half the price of a set of new tires.

And speaking of new tires, that was my solution. 

The first Big-O tire place that sold me the tires put the wrong size tires on the truck. That was the first mistake.  The second Big-O tire shop along my journey told me that those wrong tires were okay because the specified tires aren't made or available anymore. Mistakes number two and three. Those wrong tires are wrong because they're each 3/4" too wide and they touch each other and rub in the back. The correct tires are still made and available.

I talked to a third Big-O Tire Shop along my journey and convinced them of everything I've said so far. They replaced all 6 tires this morning under warranty with the correct sized tires. Now, there's about an inch and a half gap between two dually tires on each side ... the way it is supposed to be. I'm breathing much more easily now.

Next stop ... dealing with the tire stems. But I'm saving that for another day.

Thanks to everyone for the good discussion and input in this thread. It really helped out.

Tom

I'm very happy to hear you finally got one of their dealers to step up on this issue.
Too bad they didn't do the stems too though.

Still a problem but not a big expensive compound one...

3rd times a charm,about the best outcome you could hope for

Vagabound said:
I bought the old wheel from Bob's Tires in Pahrump.  Not sure what you can expect, though, from a tire shop named after the owner's cat.  Really.  A dead cat named Bob.  Just one of the things that makes Pahrump colorful.

Tom

Your sense of humor is showing again! :cool:

Kathleen said:
Your sense of humor is showing again! :cool:

Sorry. I'll try better to keep that covered up! ;-)

It's a true story though about Bob the cat. Really.

Tom

Well, so far, so good with the new tires that are properly sized. Dually pairs certainly not touching anymore.

Now I've moved on to fixing my tire stem problem. Before getting into any detail, I'm interested to know if anyone can identify the tire stem in the attached photo. It's what I have on the truck now. To me, they seem like some type of hybrid stems. Part metal, part rubber.

Anyone know what type of stem that is?

Tom